• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest University Coach Named By FBI in Bribery and Academic Fraud Scandal

I just can't believe they'd try to scam universities using non-team sports where there are such detailed online records of individual marks and achievements: track&field, pole vault (!), tennis. Like, thirty seconds of googling blows your cover. Obscure team sports like crew and water polo make much more sense, if the target university has got 'em.

More proof that the people running most of the world's scams are absolute morons.

Or at least the scams that have been uncovered.

I just can't believe they'd try to scam universities using non-team sports where there are such detailed online records of individual marks and achievements: track&field, pole vault (!), tennis. Like, thirty seconds of googling blows your cover. Obscure team sports like crew and water polo make much more sense, if the target university has got 'em.

More proof that the people running most of the world's scams are absolute morons.

Or at least the scams that have been uncovered.

Shows how little oversight of the AD actually goes on. As long as they are bringing in money, who cares if they embarrass the University every so often.

I have yet to figure out 1.)Why so much money and manpower has been devoted to this, and 2.)Why should I care.

DeacMan, you keep showing that you haven't been following the national story. It's embarrassing. The "obtuse reference" is to one of the two famous actresses caught up in this thing. Lori Loughlin is at the top of almost every article on this. To you it's not weird to bring up an obscure hockey player, but it is weird to bring up famous people at the center of this whole story.

Read up and come back.

Here's an example of a kid who had no idea how they got into USC.

What in the blue fuck does Lori Loughlin have to do with Wake Forest?

I don't know, but Ph wants to claw back $40K from the volleyball team for a piddly scholarship fund even though they did nothing wrong.

ASU has an exclusive 83% acceptance rate and the children of many Chinese billionaires. I don't think this is the same at all.

Total rabbit hole, but Mario Lemieux's son is on the Arizona State Hockey team. Also there is a guy named Johnny Walker who went to University of Nebraska Online H.S.

Sorry for the distraction, carry on talking about how the administration is bad for accepting donations from rich folk trying to get their kid into college. I'll be sitting over here watching the video of the CEO of Direct TV giving the commencement address to his daughter who was graduating that year.

Hundreds of families? Link?

This is the summary I've found:
https://www.chronicle.com/article/8-Universities-Millions-in/245873?cid=wcontentgrid_hp_1b

photo_91336_original.png

So I guess this makes Wake one of the 'Elite 8'

Since Hatch has been at the helm, I hardly know the University I grew up loving. Just another hit. Time for Hatch to go!

if the university you loved was a backwater, barely regional Baptist school, then I for one don't miss it.

By the time I attended Wake in the mid 90s, it was clearly a top regional private school with ambitions to grow and move up the rankings in all ways. Hatch has raised huge amounts of cash, led a big building boom, upgraded the faculty and overall student experience, and established a downtown presence and a new engineering program. So if you hate all that, maybe your fandom should be directed at a nice, quaint school with no ambitions, like Davidson or Wofford. Elon is probably too edgy and aggressive for you. Personally I'm glad that the value of my degrees has increased significantly since I graduated, and Hatch has a lot to do with that.

if the university you loved was a backwater, barely regional Baptist school, then I for one don't miss it.

By the time I attended Wake in the mid 90s, it was clearly a top regional private school with ambitions to grow and move up the rankings in all ways. Hatch has raised huge amounts of cash, led a big building boom, upgraded the faculty and overall student experience, and established a downtown presence and a new engineering program. So if you hate all that, maybe your fandom should be directed at a nice, quaint school with no ambitions, like Davidson or Wofford. Elon is probably too edgy and aggressive for you. Personally I'm glad that the value of my degrees has increased significantly since I graduated, and Hatch has a lot to do with that.

ScratchyParallelBrontosaurus-size_restricted.gif

[la gif used purposely]

If only he could have done all that without being a pretentious douchenozzle. #CalltoConversation

I was just offered a sprinting scholarship to Stanford.

How do you cash/deposit a check for $50,000 into your bank account and not get noticed ?

How dumb are super wealthy people ? How did these folks find this ringleader....web site ?....and not get suspicious after the initial conversation ?

Past two volleyball coaches allegedly involved in bad stuff. Feel bad for the student athletes in that program.

Wonder how many universities will go to the trouble of reviewing past non-scholarship admissions and/or implement procedures to prevent this from happening? None? Only a few? A lot?

Back