• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest University Coach Named By FBI in Bribery and Academic Fraud Scandal

I was just offered a sprinting scholarship to Stanford.

I would have guessed wrestling scholarship. :noidea:

i3tyja5fj4koubupl6d3.jpg

This thread really delivers! So many different agendas and belief systems all wrapped up in one controversy.

Hatch sent an email to the greater Wake community addressing the issues.

Just got the email from Hatch confirming that the school is a VICTIM.

Assume you all just got the email from Hatch about this.
He said that awake and other colleges are considered by the DOJ to be victims in this case.
He also said that Ferguson acted on his own and that no one else at Wake had knowledge or involvement.
Sounds like a tidal wave of folks emailed Hatch and are plenty upset that Wake is associated with something like this.

Just got the email from Hatch confirming that the school is a VICTIM.

I really enjoyed the following:

Q: What is going to happen to the one Wake Forest student mentioned in the indictment who had been waitlisted prior to admission?
A: The student was admitted and is currently enrolled. We have no reason to believe the student was aware of the alleged financial transaction.

The student was admitted (past) is currently enrolled (present) ........her future?

If that isn't a threat to the parents to donate another 100k, I dont know what is.

He said that awake and other colleges are considered by the DOJ to be victims in this case.
He also said that Ferguson acted on his own and that no one else at Wake had knowledge or involvement.
Sounds like a tidal wave of folks emailed Hatch and are plenty upset that Wake is associated with something like this.

I really can't stand his tone in his communications

Assuming everything posted about Hannity's kid is true, there is still a very large difference between admitted the #157 ranked American tennis player to be on the practice squad vs. a coach lying about a kid who apparently was, at best, an undistinguished HS volleyball player on an undistinguished team. Presumably the #157 American tennis player is still a pretty damn good tennis player who can serve as a valuable practice partner for the starters; this other scam involves people who don't even actually play the sport they are alleged to play or do so at a rec level at best.

always the victim, never the bride

Very interesting. Owned by a shell company that has been linked to Hannity. (The first initials of his kids). Nice touch to go to the trouble of adding the WF to the tail.

if the university you loved was a backwater, barely regional Baptist school, then I for one don't miss it.

By the time I attended Wake in the mid 90s, it was clearly a top regional private school with ambitions to grow and move up the rankings in all ways. Hatch has raised huge amounts of cash, led a big building boom, upgraded the faculty and overall student experience, and established a downtown presence and a new engineering program. So if you hate all that, maybe your fandom should be directed at a nice, quaint school with no ambitions, like Davidson or Wofford. Elon is probably too edgy and aggressive for you. Personally I'm glad that the value of my degrees has increased significantly since I graduated, and Hatch has a lot to do with that.

has he? wake is still ranked about the same (maybe a little lower) than the early 2000s USNWR rankings

we've shut down the full-time MBA program, believe the law school has slipped in rankings, i've heard the Innovation Quarter is struggling, have had a few scandals that either were straight-up bad press or handled extremely poorly by Wake, the basketball program blows ass

so he's........ fundraised and built some new buildings during the greatest stretch of university fundraising and infrastructure investing in history? cool. we should quantitatively figure out his VAR over other university presidents

Very interesting. Owned by a shell company that has been linked to Hannity. (The first initials of his kids). Nice touch to go to the trouble of adding the WF to the tail.

Wonder what Hannity thinks about all of the foreign nationals on the team?

has he? wake is still ranked about the same (maybe a little lower) than the early 2000s USNWR rankings

we've shut down the full-time MBA program, believe the law school has slipped in rankings, i've heard the Innovation Quarter is struggling, have had a few scandals that either were straight-up bad press or handled extremely poorly by Wake, the basketball program blows ass

so he's........ fundraised and built some new buildings during the greatest stretch of university fundraising and infrastructure investing in history? cool. we should quantitatively figure out his VAR over other university presidents

Law school program is tied for #31, its all time high which was achieved in 2014 as well. Innovation Quarter is thriving. So some of your post is wrong.

Law school has done fine, and I don't know where the innovation quarter struggling narrative is from either. You are right that there has been an arms race in college building and find raising, would it make hatch a better president if he had failed to keep up? In many ways Wake has punched well above it's weight. I'm not saying that every decision hatch has made is correct, far from it, I'm pushing back on the assertion that he has ruined the University and we should be nostalgic for some earlier time when it was smaller and less prestigious.

Back