• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest University Coach Named By FBI in Bribery and Academic Fraud Scandal

Huffman out of bail of $250,000.

I watched 4 episodes of To Catch a Predator last night, and this exceeded all of their bond significantly. FBI is apparently mad at some rich white folk for once.

Yeah, it's different, but it's not that different. In both cases you're essentially selling a spot to a kid who couldn't get it on his own merits. That one of them may have been closer to deserving it than the other doesn't change that fact.

How do you know that the #157 ranked American tennis player would not have been welcomed as a preferred walk-on if there was no rich parent?* You are asserting this as an established fact. Admittedly I don't know much about collegiate tennis, but it does not seem far fetched to me that such an athlete could find a practice squad place on the team. I'd like to see some objective evidence, other than just your insistence, that it is absurd for such an athlete to have a walk on spot. The starters need quality players to practice against.

Assume, for a moment, that it is not absurd for the #157 ranked American tennis player to be a walk-on at Wake. Now assume for a moment that the tennis coach is choosing between #125, whose parents have no money*, and #157, whose dad is filthy rich and has a jet. Neither one is going to start, both can probably give the starters a workout. Why should Wake not admit #157 and reap the financial benefits?

*Tennis is a classic country club sport that, at least in America, usually requires wealth to reach excellence. I am betting that a very large percentage of the top American players have wealthy parents. These sports (tennis, golf, crew, LAX, field hockey, even soccer to some extent) are basically a form of affirmative action for the wealthy which gives their offspring yet one more advantage in getting into the college of their choice. https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2018/10/college-sports-benefits-white-students/573688/

Last edited:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/14/sports/sean-hannity-wake-forest-white-house.html

merlin_139520148_b6b59f1f-b1f6-4b62-9bf9-a287b9536b1c-superJumbo.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, it's different, but it's not that different. In both cases you're essentially selling a spot to a kid who couldn't get it on his own merits. That one of them may have been closer to deserving it than the other doesn't change that fact.

The biggest difference is that in one case the coach took a personal $50k bribe. That is what makes it criminal. The other stuff (admitting kids whose parents donate a bunch of money to the school when they otherwise might not have gotten in) is pretty much accepted BAU.

“Patrick” is Patrick Hannity, son of Sean Hannity, the Fox News host. He is a redshirt freshman who previously starred at Cold Spring Harbor High School on Long Island, where he was a New York state finalist in doubles. He played only in the fall this season, compiling records of 3-4 this season in singles and 3-4 in doubles, but was invaluable when it came to getting his team into the Oval Office.

Obviously a complete stiff who never should have been invited to join the team.

How do you know that the #157 ranked American tennis player would not have been welcomed as a preferred walk-on if there was no rich parent?* You are asserting this as an established fact. Admittedly I don't know much about collegiate tennis, but it does not seem far fetched to me that such an athlete could find a practice squad place on the team. I'd like to see some objective evidence, other than just your insistence, that it is absurd for such an athlete to have a walk on spot. The starters need quality players to practice against.

Assume, for a moment, that it is not absurd for the #157 ranked American tennis player to be a walk-on at Wake. Now assume for a moment that the tennis coach is choosing between #125, whose parents have no money*, and #157, whose dad is filthy rich and has a jet. Neither one is going to start, both can probably give the starters a workout. Why should Wake not admit #157 and reap the financial benefits?

*Tennis is a classic country club sport that, at least in America, usually requires wealth to reach excellence. I am betting that a very large percentage of the top American players have wealthy parents. These sports (tennis, golf, crew, LAX, field hockey, even soccer to some extent) are basically a form of affirmative action for the wealthy which gives their offspring yet one more advantage in getting into the college of their choice. https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2018/10/college-sports-benefits-white-students/573688/

This is all, essentially, correct. There are 15 student athletes on Wake's men's basketball team and 17 on the tennis team, so they are similarly sized. There are basketball players, on scholarship, that were ranked below #157 in the country. The one caveat I would add (which is pretty much unrelated to this specific discussion) is that tennis is a sport that doesn't actually require one to be rich to excel. There are free public courts all over the country and minimal equipment is needed. Venus and Serena are good examples of this, and there are many elite junior players that are not part of rich families.

Doubt it. GOP is trying to end/make legal immigration more difficult.

OH, so that is why they want a wall, to keep all the legal immigrants out. Whew, gonna be tough to put a wall around every airport or coastline

Is that the sole fight on immigration at this point? Are you that ignorant of the issues with immigration?

Things about the college admissions bribery. Half the money went to Huffman's volleyball camp. In many cases, the coach who runs these camps gets to keep the profits as a sort of salary supplement. Thus $50k went pretty much into Huffman's pocket. It seems there was no real interest in the student being part of the volleyball team until the failure of regular admissions. Then Huffman used one of his chips for getting a marginal student admitted ad a "recruited athlete." It does not appear that there was any recruitment prior to the bribe.

Maybe that's how its done in southern California. The last seat on the bench of minor sports is up for sale.

Things about the college admissions bribery. Half the money went to Huffman's volleyball camp. In many cases, the coach who runs these camps gets to keep the profits as a sort of salary supplement. Thus $50k went pretty much into Huffman's pocket. It seems there was no real interest in the student being part of the volleyball team until the failure of regular admissions. Then Huffman used one of his chips for getting a marginal student admitted ad a "recruited athlete." It does not appear that there was any recruitment prior to the bribe.

Maybe that's how its done in southern California. The last seat on the bench of minor sports is up for sale.

I'd call you Captain Obvious if you weren't so obviously confused.

It's a fair point though that we do take some scrubs as walk-ons, so he may not be much worse than any of them. But I think it was pretty clear from Day 1 that he had no chance of ever playing a serious competitive match for Wake, so the fact that his dad is offering up his private jet raises at least serious questions about why he's on the team

He's not the worst player on Wake's team. He's not even the second or third worst player.

Anybody want to look up and see what the #156 ranked player is doing nowadays?

I want to go out on a limb and say that most walk on tennis players at big time tennis programs have loaded parents. like someone stated, its a wealthy sport. the top programs get their top talent from other countries...not America. being #157 in America in tennis essentially puts you around top 300 nationally maybe? as someone else stated, the top players in america arent even playing high school, they are usually home schooled/taking online classes and traveling to play tournaments to increase ranking. I imagine there are other situations for other universities where tennis/golf/field hockey parents offer their childrens teams their luxuries...idk if that is allowed or not though?

Back