• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest University Coach Named By FBI in Bribery and Academic Fraud Scandal

This is a good long read on the college admissions scandal. https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/04/what-college-admissions-scandal-reveals/586468/ My wife is a counselor at an exclusive (for Greensboro) private school and she runs into mini-versions of these entitled parents pretty frequently. They generally feel that rules should apply to everyone, except when the rules inconvenience their kid, in which case the rules are unfair. I can't imagine how much worse it must be at exclusive Beverly Hills private high schools.

Many of the celebrity/rich parents were in court. Lots of "not guilty" pleas.

I really don't care if anybody goes to jail for this. it's just so awesome that they got caught and we know they're guilty anyway.

I really don't care if anybody goes to jail for this. it's just so awesome that they got caught and we know they're guilty anyway.

So what do you think would be appropriate punishment?

Many of the celebrity/rich parents were in court. Lots of "not guilty" pleas.

However, there was one that pleaded guilty. It was suggested that this was a smart move in that the prosecutors are serious about going after these folks. By pleading guilty early on, he can possibly get a lighter sentence by testifying against others or at least saying early on 'I did wrong, I'm sorry, please forgive me'.
Also I read an article about a former wall-streeter that had gone to jail for his misdeeds. He now advises clients how to survive life in prison. At least one of his new clients is one of these parents.
They may be pleading not guilty, but they are scared. Very scared.

However, there was one that pleaded guilty. It was suggested that this was a smart move in that the prosecutors are serious about going after these folks. By pleading guilty early on, he can possibly get a lighter sentence by testifying against others or at least saying early on 'I did wrong, I'm sorry, please forgive me'.
Also I read an article about a former wall-streeter that had gone to jail for his misdeeds. He now advises clients how to survive life in prison. At least one of his new clients is one of these parents.
They may be pleading not guilty, but they are scared. Very scared.

giphy.gif

Public shaming, pay the IRS their money.

(Politics Board) Nope send them to jail like the felons they are. Its the only way to root out corruption. You have to treat white and blue collar crimes similarly. (Politics Board)

That being said it would absolutely shock me if Trump's justice department took this seriously when it came to sentencing.

I can see his re-election campaign receiving a big check, and the charges being reduced or plea bargained with no jail time. Sadly I'd probably say the same thing about an Obama or Clinton administration. Rich people generally like to help other rich people out. That hasn't really changed in the last century.

I honestly love that Wake was involved in this. It's such an awesome school that parents are willing to pay way above sticker to make sure their kids get in. No question Wake is one of the elite universities in the country.

Back