• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest University Coach Named By FBI in Bribery and Academic Fraud Scandal

I think they explained that in the press conference. The paid test taker either corrected the kid's answers or just took the test for them straight up. The kids only saw the score. If they got waitlisted, all they know is they got waitlisted and then got accepted. They wouldn't necessarily know how it happened. In the press conference, they said some students were part of it and were in meetings with their parents and Singer. Other students had no idea.

Yeah, but they probably took it once and did poorly so the parents got in the system and made sure they didn't screw it up again.

I suppose it's possible that our coach could have just been the one to setup fake profiles and we didn't actually admit a student fraudulently? None of the named defendants last names match up to anyone in our roster since he was hired at Wake.

"In other cases, Singer allegedly bribed coaches to establish fake credentials designating students as recruited athletes even when those students did not play the sport in question."

I suppose it's possible that our coach could have just been the one to setup fake profiles and we didn't actually admit a student fraudulently? None of the named defendants last names match up to anyone in our roster since he was hired at Wake.

"In other cases, Singer allegedly bribed coaches to establish fake credentials designating students as recruited athletes even when those students did not play the sport in question."

in that case the students still got admitted; they just didn't play the sport once enrolled

I suppose it's possible that our coach could have just been the one to setup fake profiles and we didn't actually admit a student fraudulently?

Did you read the complaint ? Ferguson's WF volleyball camp got $50K, the volleyball team got $40K through the Deacon Club, and the Deacon Club got $10K. They didn't shell out $100K to set up a fake profile.

D1d-PDIWkAMyFpN.jpg:large

I think they explained that in the press conference. The paid test taker either corrected the kid's answers or just took the test for them straight up. The kids only saw the score. If they got waitlisted, all they know is they got waitlisted and then got accepted. They wouldn't necessarily know how it happened. In the press conference, they said some students were part of it and were in meetings with their parents and Singer. Other students had no idea.

There's a difference in "I was waitlisted, but got in," and "I was waitlisted, but got recruited to play volleyball."

I guess fortunately the Hollywood shaming is going dwarf the coaching aspect.

That said, not how I want to be associated with Yale, Stanford, and Georgetown.

Did you read the complaint ? Ferguson's WF volleyball camp got $50K, the volleyball team got $40K through the Deacon Club, and the Deacon Club got $10K. They didn't shell out $100K to set up a fake profile.

I just did. But it makes sense that you'd want to separate the coach setting up the fake profiles from the coach admitting the student. At least it would to me if I were planning such a scam.

Guy works for USC and is tied into the scam/folks involved. Gets a new job all the way over on the East coast at a small private school. Perfect place for someone to be setting up a bunch of fake recruiting profiles that legitimize the fraudulent admissions to other schools.

There's a difference in "I was waitlisted, but got in," and "I was waitlisted, but got recruited to play volleyball."

there is - but if a student gets in off the wait list, the official acceptance from WF won't say, "you got in because the volleyball coach said he needs you"; so it's possible for the student to be unaware of the coach's interference

I did. But it makes sense that you'd want to separate the coach setting up the fake profiles from the coach admitting the student. At least it would to me if I were planning such a scam.

Guy works for USC and is tied into the scam/folks involved. Gets a new job all the way over on the East coast at a small private school. Perfect place for someone to be setting up a bunch of fake recruiting profiles that legitimize the fraudulent admissions to other schools.

Ummmm, I'd be very surprised if that's how this plays out.

And that's definitely not what the news stories are conveying.

Court documents, which were unsealed Tuesday morning, allege that the accused aimed to facilitate students getting into high-profile D-1 schools, including Georgetown, Stanford, UCLA, Yale, University of Texas, University of San Diego, University of Southern California and Wake Forest as recruited athletes regardless of their athletic ability.

Last edited:

Right. Some kids got in as student-athletes and some didn't.

I did. But it makes sense that you'd want to separate the coach setting up the fake profiles from the coach admitting the student. At least it would to me if I were planning such a scam.

you may need to read paragraph 111 of the complaint again

the one that says he designated the daughter of the client as a student-athlete resulting in her gaining admittance into WFU

Ummmm, I'd be very surprised if that's how this plays out.

Agreed as well now that I've seen the complaint that states Ferguson as in on admitting a student. Tweets don't show up on my work laptop...had to open the thread on my phone to see it.

"Dad why are you making me take pictures in Water Polo gear when my school doesn't even have a Water Polo team?"

"Because this and $500k will get you into USC, so shut up and get in the pool."

Back