• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Technology Thread: Building a Desktop Computer

Good question. I remember looking at the HomeRun devices when I bought my card, but they were expensive. That looks pretty solid, so maybe it's just a performance question?

Maybe AVSForum would have some better info.

OK, I am leaning toward using the existing computer as an HTPC with an XBox 360 extender in the living room. I will network it all with Powerline and hook in an OTA HD antenna via the HD Homerun dual tuner device. I am also going to buy a bigger monitor for that computer so I can use it as a TV and watch something different than what is on in the living room.

One thing that kept me up last night: Let's say the wife wants to watch live TV or a recording of some stupid reality show, and I want to play some Skyrim or maybe just surf the net on my PC instead of watching with her. Is the effort of pushing video to the XBox in the next room going to use up huge amounts of processing power/RAM so that I won't be able to to anything else on the PC? Does the XBox take on some or all of that processing load?

As a reminder, the current system has a Core 2 CPU 6600 @2.4GHz. 4GB RAM.

OK, I am leaning toward using the existing computer as an HTPC with an XBox 360 extender in the living room. I will network it all with Powerline and hook in an OTA HD antenna via the HD Homerun dual tuner device. I am also going to buy a bigger monitor for that computer so I can use it as a TV and watch something different than what is on in the living room.

One thing that kept me up last night: Let's say the wife wants to watch live TV or a recording of some stupid reality show, and I want to play some Skyrim or maybe just surf the net on my PC instead of watching with her. Is the effort of pushing video to the XBox in the next room going to use up huge amounts of processing power/RAM so that I won't be able to to anything else on the PC? Does the XBox take on some or all of that processing load?

As a reminder, the current system has a Core 2 CPU 6600 @2.4GHz. 4GB RAM.

You should be fine. I have the same system(my E6600 is overclocked to 3.4ghz, though) and I can do those things without much hassle.

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($188.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68M-D2H Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX Mid Tower Case ($46.07 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $465.03
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated 2011-11-22 08:48 EST-0500)

Why the micro board? Could be an issue if you get a CPU cooler with it getting in the way of your RAM.

No real reason for the micro board...if you want to suggest something else I'll definitely be open to that.

It just had good reviews

Part list permalink: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2zJz
Part price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2zJz/by_merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68M-D2H Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($95.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $425.94
(Generated 2011-11-24 01:26 EST-0500)

Pulled the trigger this morning when the i5-2500K went down to $199.99, the RAM was still at $29.99, and a full ATX mobo with USB 3.0 dropped to $109.99.

And signed up for the newegg Preferred Account so no set payments or interest for 12 months and $15 off the first $100.

Merry Christmas/Happy Birthday to me!

Part list permalink: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2CTb
Part price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2CTb/by_merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 2GB Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $679.94
(Generated 2011-11-25 19:42 EST-0500)

Somehow I got it to only show prices from newegg, and don't know how to change it.

ETA: Actually it looks like those are the lowest prices anywhere.

Last edited:
pulled the trigger on an xbox360 ($160 from Target.com) to use as a media center extender. Got a 25 inch Asus monitor for $200, free shipping, and the HDHomerun tuner for $80. I also picked up some powerline adapters and a new wireless-N router on the cheap from Newegg. Happy cyber monday to me.

I really need a decent/cheap monitor...I overspent on my system and don't want to spend another 200 on a monitor

I really need a decent/cheap monitor...I overspent on my system and don't want to spend another 200 on a monitor

There are some nice deals on Dell.com today. Hard to get anything over 22 inches for less than $200 but you should be able to pick up something around 19-21 inches for around 150 or maybe less.

Here's a 21 inch for $140. Looks pretty nice. http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-2737&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

Building is out of my league, but I need to get a couple desktops for basic office use. Any suggestions on deals?

Newegg has lots of cheap monitors. As for decent also, maybe this Acer? or this Asus?

Yea I was looking at that ASUS...pretty sure 21.5 will be OK for now.

It includes all the cables I'll need too, so I'll probably go with that...thanks.

Yea, really wanted this monitor...but ended up selling out....

But I think I got a better deal:

Asus VH238H Black 23" Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers 250 cd/m2 ASCR 50,000,000:1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236117

$169.99 with a $30.00 off coupon, so $139.99 total.

My new graphics card has really impressed me. For $80 it was a freaking steal.

I can't wait for my rebate card to get here.

Back