• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Technology Thread: Building a Desktop Computer

I think I might go with a Corsair H100 self-contained water cooling system.

I like how much progress has been made on the water-cooling front over the past few years. The H100 outperforms any air cooling, scales better at higher overclocks, and doesn't take up as much space as big air coolers.

Yeahh, but I still just don't trust water. Especially after the pipes in our sink just developed a leak this week.

Yeahh, but I still just don't trust water. Especially after the pipes in our sink just developed a leak this week.

Yeah, it is a risk, but I'm probably going to use some type of waterproof tape at the stress points as that is the only place the reviews have them developing leaks.

I'm just excited to get more ram. Multi-tasking in windows mode is so frustrating at the moment.

:werd:

I think I have 12 right now. I might end up going back to 8 so I don't have mismatched RAM, not sure what kind of effect that is having, but I haven't really noticed any slowness.

:werd:

I think I have 12 right now. I might end up going back to 8 so I don't have mismatched RAM, not sure what kind of effect that is having, but I haven't really noticed any slowness.

If you aren't overclocking, I don't think you'd notice anything as long as dual channel is working. Do you have 3x4gb sticks?

I'm not up to date on dual channel anymore, but your RAM might not be running dual channel, having an odd number of sticks.

Ah, I think you're good. I just read up on dual channel again and I think as long as you have them in the right slots, the pairs should each act as a single module.

I managed to break my Etymotics Research earbuds again. No chance am I not buying a squaretrade warranty with them when I get another pair.

That's the bad thing about buying such expensive headphones. My first pair lasted for 2+ years. Second pair were destroyed within 2 weeks when kitty found the cord. Third pair lasted about 2+years until I accidentally shut the door on them and drug them for 10 miles down the road. 4th pair(xmas gift) fell out of my pocket onto our driveway. I couldn't find them and went to bed figuring I'd find them in the morning. We got about an inch of ice that night and I found them while clearing off my car, frozen to the driveway. They were in good condition, but one ear bud was cracked and super glue didn't fix it. I had never used or read up on squaretrade before, but I think it is perfect for these things.

Facepalm

Man, as long as they 1) stay in my ears and 2) make noise, then that's all I care about while working out.

I got a pretty decent pair of seinheisers or something once that shit the bed on me after about 8 months. Nevar again.

Man, as long as they 1) stay in my ears and 2) make noise, then that's all I care about while working out.

I got a pretty decent pair of seinheisers or something once that shit the bed on me after about 8 months. Nevar again.

That's the problem. Most earbuds I have used always end up falling out of my ears. These stay put no matter what.

I've been running with the Apple earbuds that came with my iPhone. They work OK, but still have to be reseated often.

Granted, I haven't tried many types of earbuds, but the Etymotics I first bought worked great and sounded good as well so I've stuck with them.

I want to get a pair of over the hear headphones as well, but I'm not sure if I'd use them enough to warrant a purchase.

Gimme those Beats by Dre

I want to get a pair of over the hear headphones as well, but I'm not sure if I'd use them enough to warrant a purchase.

Gimme those Beats by Dre

You don't use over-ear headphones any time your at home?

Ur doin it wrong.

You don't need to go crazy and get some Bose QC15's or anything like that. The ones I use aren't noise-cancelling, and that doesn't really bother me at all. I talked to a dude that works in a recording studio a couple weeks ago, and I think he said they use Sennheiser headphones because they're reasonably priced and sound great.

You don't use over-ear headphones any time your at home?

Ur doin it wrong.

You don't need to go crazy and get some Bose QC15's or anything like that. The ones I use aren't noise-cancelling, and that doesn't really bother me at all. I talked to a dude that works in a recording studio a couple weeks ago, and I think he said they use Sennheiser headphones because they're reasonably priced and sound great.

I normally just use my speakers. I'm not an audiophile, so I wouldn't go all out. If I want to splurge, I'd go with Grado SR-60i. If not, probably some <$50 Sennheisers.

That makes sense. Since I've been living with roommates for the past couple years, I do everything with headphones so I don't disturb anyone. In my case, over-ear headphones are clutch.

6rmws8.jpg

Tentative build so far. A lot of these things can be found cheaper on Amazon so the price will go down considerably.

Back