• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Technology Thread: Building a Desktop Computer

I know this is SIMPLE stuff, but anyone have any tips for me replacing RAM in an old Dell Dimension 2350? I don't want to fry it...

I know this is SIMPLE stuff, but anyone have any tips for me replacing RAM in an old Dell Dimension 2350? I don't want to fry it...

Simple. Buy the ram (SDRAM), put the computer on a tabletop or counter, remove the case lid, take out the old ram, or rearrange so that the new ram fits into the slots. See if the computer boots, open your system properties and look to see if the system recognizes the total amount of ram you have installed.

It's essentially foolproof and as long as you do it while the computer is unplugged and don't force anything, you should be fine.

Ground yourself too in case of static.

You really don't have to worry about this much as long as you aren't doing the assembly on carpet.

Honestly, I've never used a static strap in all of the pc builds I've ever done. I've never even heard of anyone that has fried a component with static. Anecdotal evidence at its best but still..

You really don't have to worry about this much as long as you aren't doing the assembly on carpet.

Honestly, I've never used a static strap in all of the pc builds I've ever done. I've never even heard of anyone that has fried a component with static. Anecdotal evidence at its best but still..

I know two people who have. For a small job like ram I meant more like touch something metal first.

I know two people who have. For a small job like ram I meant more like touch something metal first.

Yeah, better safe than sorry. If your computer case has any exposed, non-painted metal, just ground yourself with it.

Tentative build so far. A lot of these things can be found cheaper on Amazon so the price will go down considerably.

Very similar to what I just got done building. I opted for the 6950 gfx card, but same 2500k Z68 crucial M4. Put mine in an NZXT tower. Cant say enough about how well prepped that tower was. I have 1 cable that isn't tucked because the freaking 8pin mobo cord from my power supply is really short.

With how easy it was and how much I saved I dont think I'll ever buy pre-built again.

Last edited:
Very similar to what I just got done building. I opted for the 6950 gfx card, but same 2500k Z68 crucial M4. Put mine in an NZXT tower. Cant say enough about how well prepped that tower was. I have 1 cable that isn't tucked because the freaking 8pin mobo cord from my power supply is really short.

With how easy it was and how much I saved I dont think I won't build ever again.

I looked at the NZXT, but opted to go with the Chaser. I've had good luck with Thermaltake cases before.

It's really a no-brainer to build if you want a desktop PC.

There is a small plastic arm on each end of the RAM stick, pull those away from the RAM and lift the stick off the board. When you push the new stick in, those arms should lock back in place. It's pretty straightforward, just discharge any static like others have said.

I think I may have to update my power supply with this build as well.

Probs, make sure you get a modular one if you can.

Yeah, think I got an OCZ, but not a modular, which I could have gotten for only like 15 bucks moar if I had just taken the time to look.

Yeah, think I got an OCZ, but not a modular, which I could have gotten for only like 15 bucks moar if I had just taken the time to look.

Yeah, I'm nervous though, I want to get one that has long enough cables for a full tower. I've heard that a lot of PSUs nowadays have issues with length of cables when you use the cable management systems that are in place in so many cases.

Yeah, I'm nervous though, I want to get one that has long enough cables for a full tower. I've heard that a lot of PSUs nowadays have issues with length of cables when you use the cable management systems that are in place in so many cases.

Yeah, but you'll have that issue with non-modular shit too. I had a couple of mine that were kind of a stretch, and I'm (technically) in a mid-tower.

Yeah, but you'll have that issue with non-modular shit too. I had a couple of mine that were kind of a stretch, and I'm (technically) in a mid-tower.

Yeah, I meant more all PSUs. I guess I won't even know until trying them out, though.

Is this a good thread for a question about my sound? The computer makes that horrible beep sound when I hit 2 buttons at once but otherwise it isn't making any sounds. When I hit the up/down volume or mute buttons they don't show on the monitor as being changed and don't make any difference to the no sound issue.

Is this a good thread for a question about my sound? The computer makes that horrible beep sound when I hit 2 buttons at once but otherwise it isn't making any sounds. When I hit the up/down volume or mute buttons they don't show on the monitor as being changed and don't make any difference to the no sound issue.

You can turn off the sound completely by doing the following (with Windows 7)

1. Right click Computer and select Properties
2. Select the Device Manager
3. In the menu View select Show hidden devices
4. Expand the node Non-Plug and Play Drivers
5. Find the item Beep and right-click it and select Disable (Instead of Beep it might be called PC Speaker or Speaker)
6. Restart the computer.

Sometimes cheap keyboards can't handle more than 2 key presses. I know I've had this happen to me before, but I can't remember how I fixed it or remedied it other than turning the beep off.

Awesome. I can get a 2500k at the local Microcenter for $180!

TW, I think she's saying her sound isn't functioning correctly, except for the system error beep.

So it's either a sound card/mobo issue, or it's turned down/off somewhere she doesn't realize.

Or her speakers are busted.

Back