• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Technology Thread: Building a Desktop Computer

skeleton_pr1.jpg

ellis, I want to be clear. If you aren't comfortable with computer parts, or supporting it if anything goes wrong, I'd go with a pre-built Dell.

Normally things that go wrong can be solved with a quick Google search, but sometimes it can be worse. It's just a matter of what you want to put into the project.

ellis, I want to be clear. If you aren't comfortable with computer parts, or supporting it if anything goes wrong, I'd go with a pre-built Dell.

Normally things that go wrong can be solved with a quick Google search, but sometimes it can be worse. It's just a matter of what you want to put into the project.

I'm glad I said something, because what I had envisioned was buying a couple upgrade parts online, googling "how to install" and doing it myself. I don't know that I'm down for a full rebuild, essentially, when for an extra $150-$200 I can get a practically new one with a warranty. I might still, though... you never know how much free time I'm gonna have in the next few months.

To answer your question re: my familiarity and comfort with computer parts, refer to my post asking how to install RAM.

I'm glad I said something, because what I had envisioned was buying a couple upgrade parts online, googling "how to install" and doing it myself. I don't know that I'm down for a full rebuild, essentially, when for an extra $150-$200 I can get a practically new one with a warranty. I might still, though... you never know how much free time I'm gonna have in the next few months.

Anyone on this thread would certainly be willing to provide any support if you choose to do the build route and likely support in the event that something goes wrong as well. Provided that the boards are still around ;)

To answer your question re: my familiarity and comfort with computer parts, refer to my post asking how to install RAM.

Baby steps, ellis, baby steps. Installing RAM is really no more difficult than installing any other part of a computer.

Hahaha they make some really flashy cases.

41QNl%2BuVgTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Example: my storm trooper esque tower. It was such a breeze to put in the mobo and wire everything with so much room and being the neat freak I am the wire tucking panel was bliss. The big fans also keep it cool and silent.

Example: my storm trooper esque tower. It was such a breeze to put in the mobo and wire everything with so much room and being the neat freak I am the wire tucking panel was bliss. The big fans also keep it cool and silent.

I personally like these cases, but some don't. I think it's a nerd thing..

This is what I'm going to buy today.

thermaltake_chaser-mk-i_front.jpg

My buddy had this one
11-156-273-Z01

Mine is black

Parts so far.

i7-2600k
Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3
Thermaltake Chaser MK-I Case

2qixy4z.jpg

This is a first... Amazon won't get my memory to me until February 10th. I was going to pay for next day air ($12 for 3 parts) but even then they weren't going to get it here until February 9th. Weird.

I have Prime btw.

Is the RAM coming from a third party vendor then?

Actually, it looks like both SSD and Memory won't be coming in until the 10th. WTF!

Back