• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Technology Thread: Building a Desktop Computer

Booo! Kepler's mid-range cards won't be released until April for the GTX580 equivalent and Q2/Q3 for the HD7950 equivalent.

Three days?

disgusted-mother-of-god.png

I think they have something wrong with their calculations. I got the shipping notification this morning. If UPS takes 3 days to get me my shit from Lexington, KY (I'm in Cincinnati), they deserve to go bankrupt.

My H100 just got here.

The SSD and ram look to be on some random package service(Prestige.) I think this is probably why the delivery estimates/updates are so off.

In other news, you can now buy overclocking protection from Intel for $25. I can pretty much do anything I want to it and they will still replace it.

$$$

Currently installing Windows on my SSD. Everything booted up correctly! No DOA parts AFAIK.

OMGWTF, this firmware update is a PITA. I just spent like 30 minutes getting my SATA cables set up and now they want me to plug it into a 3gb/s port? :rulz:

Ohh, lulz. Well I won't have to worry about that I don't think.

Sucks for everyday use of course..

Well, you can plug it back into the 6gb/s port after the firmware update is finished.

I'm not sure I even have 6gb/s ports on my mobo.

Jesus. Had to unplug everything but my SATA DVD drive and the SSD. Then disable my Micron and Marvell controllers before it would find the drive to update it.

Facepalm

Damn. This liquid cooling is insane. My temps aren't breaking 30c with 8 cores(through HT) running a Folding @ home client.

Currently deciding on a graphics card.

AMD has its next gen lineup out in the 7950 and 7970, but Nvidia should be releasing its shortly as well.

I'll have to upgrade my PSU along with any graphics card I buy, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I'm thinking I'll have to decide between the 7950 and the GTX660TI or GTX670.

Once this is done, I should get at least 3 years out of this rig before needing to upgrade.

OMGWTF, this firmware update is a PITA. I just spent like 30 minutes getting my SATA cables set up and now they want me to plug it into a 3gb/s port? :rulz:

Yea, luckily I read about that before I installed my Crucial SSD.

So building a desktop for my brother.

What are the benefits of the Ivy Bridge processors?

I put the i5-2500K Sandy Bridge into my desktop last fall, but saw the Ivy Bridge just came out....worth it?...the prices don't seem that different.

Ivy Bridge is slightly faster. Whatever you get the best deal on would work.

Back