• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Technology Thread: Building a Desktop Computer

Have any of you guys bought monitors recently?

I'm very intrigued by the recent trend of being able to get 27 inch 1440p A-panel, IPS monitors from Korea on Ebay for <$300. Lots of people have been doing it and there are some horror stories, but by and large, many people are happy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-YAMAKAS...8070?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item1c26db9146

To buy a similar product in the states, you'd be spending $800-$1200.

I'm looking into replacing or augmenting my current desktop monitor(23" LG)

The other alternative is to go with a $300 24" 1080p monitor. Less than ideal, but still acceptable.

Have any of you guys bought monitors recently?

I'm very intrigued by the recent trend of being able to get 27 inch 1440p A-panel, IPS monitors from Korea on Ebay for <$300. Lots of people have been doing it and there are some horror stories, but by and large, many people are happy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-YAMAKAS...8070?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item1c26db9146

To buy a similar product in the states, you'd be spending $800-$1200.

I'm looking into replacing or augmenting my current desktop monitor(23" LG)

Wo, that's pretty cool. Probs worth the risk for that size/resolution. That's an insane price.

Wo, that's pretty cool. Probs worth the risk for that size/resolution. That's an insane price.

Yup. Read up about them. I just realized that a squaretrade warranty will work on them as well. That seals the deal.

Apparently, these sellers get them to your doorstep from South Korea in about 3 business days on average.

If I had the money I'd probs try it lulz. Just make my 24" my small second monitor.

To clarify. These panels are the ones that don't meet Dell, HP, LG, Apple, etc.. standards. There could be dead pixels or some backlight bleed, but by and large, people are having good luck with a very useable monitor for a 50%+ percent discount.

I have a Samsung Syncmaster 305t (30" 2560x1600) that I'm thinking of selling since my desktop is dead (motherboard). PM if interested.

ETA: I have the original packaging and documentation, too.

So I've been using my Desktop as a HTPC using XBMC and it's freakin incredible....a very professional looking setup and I can even watch European/English soccer matches streaming using various add-ons.

Anyone else use XBMC?...very sleek and efficient.

Just upgraded another Hard Drive so I have a 2TB with 1.3 TB of TV shows, a 1TB that is full with movies, a 500GB with my Music and Pictures, and just bought a 2TB for adding more movies.

Really helped when I found a quick/easy way to rip my Blu-Ray collection to my hard drive...I've been borrowing BluRays from friends to add to my 1080p collection...also downloading some......

Speaking of which, does anyone belong to a Private tracker site?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140738200221&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

Picked up this tonight with a squaretrade warranty. $380 for a 27 inch 1440p 16:9 monitor and 3 year Squaretrade warranty? Yes please.

2wocas8.png

Just got my monitor today. Wow. This thing is amazing.

It came with a bad dual link dvi cable, but I went out to Staples and picked up another. I'm going to order a cheaper one off of Amazon($10) and return the Staples($40)

Random question that I feel like I should know but....

When I built my desktop I didn't have too much spare money so I only bought a 60GB SSD for the OS...now that keeps filling up pretty quick and I have to go through and delete things to keep it around 20-25% free space....so I have money now and am thinking of upgrading the SSD.....if I bought/installed an OEM Windows 7 DVD, will I be able to use the same disc to install on the new SSD or will I have to buy a new one?

PS - my pagefile is sitting at 8 GB, is that even necessary with an SSD?

Pagefile necessity is driven more by your available RAM. What can't fit in memory gets swapped to the disk pagefile. 60GB should be fine to run Windows, but move the pagefile and the Users folders off the SSD. Also, if you click on the drive to free up space, it should allow you to delete all the "previous configuration" files it's generated every time you apply a Windows Update.

If you do get a new SSD, you should be able to clone your old install to the new one, that's what I did.

Random question that I feel like I should know but....

When I built my desktop I didn't have too much spare money so I only bought a 60GB SSD for the OS...now that keeps filling up pretty quick and I have to go through and delete things to keep it around 20-25% free space....so I have money now and am thinking of upgrading the SSD.....if I bought/installed an OEM Windows 7 DVD, will I be able to use the same disc to install on the new SSD or will I have to buy a new one?

PS - my pagefile is sitting at 8 GB, is that even necessary with an SSD?

Pagefile necessity is driven more by your available RAM. What can't fit in memory gets swapped to the disk pagefile. 60GB should be fine to run Windows, but move the pagefile and the Users folders off the SSD. Also, if you click on the drive to free up space, it should allow you to delete all the "previous configuration" files it's generated every time you apply a Windows Update.

If you do get a new SSD, you should be able to clone your old install to the new one, that's what I did.

Just getting around to doing this...can someone help me out with setting up the new SSD or cloning it without making my desktop unusable?

I know the OEM version of Windows is tied to the motherboard, or is it the hard drive?

I want to be able to get a larger SSD and clone the 60GB I currently have and have everything load up exactly the same.

Back