• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Technology Thread: Building a Desktop Computer

I'm going to assume you will install VMWare (or some virtual OS) first, and then load multiple OS's on top of that. In that case, having multiple CPU cores is very nice.

Obviously, 95% of users don't do this. If you do though, it is very nice to have lots and lots of ram.

I had it running on my machine with ubuntu and windows 7, but I just didn't used it enough.

I just built my first computer a few weeks ago. I had previously done upgrades but never built one from scratch. I was amazed at how much simpler it was than I expected (although, still a bit tricky at first). I used newegg.com for all the parts and it cost me a little over $500 for something that would sell in the stores for $1000 or more. It was definitely worth it.

BTW, newegg also has really good memory deals. I got 4g for $45 but it was the top rated on newegg and won the consumer choice award for 2010.

Even if you don't use newegg to make the purchase, I recommend checking them out just for the reviews of the products. They have a ton of users and you can get some good insight into the products that way. You do have to filter through other reviews by less knowledgeable and/or bitter people, though.

I just built my first computer a few weeks ago. I had previously done upgrades but never built one from scratch. I was amazed at how much simpler it was than I expected (although, still a bit tricky at first). I used newegg.com for all the parts and it cost me a little over $500 for something that would sell in the stores for $1000 or more. It was definitely worth it.

BTW, newegg also has really good memory deals. I got 4g for $45 but it was the top rated on newegg and won the consumer choice award for 2010.

Even if you don't use newegg to make the purchase, I recommend checking them out just for the reviews of the products. They have a ton of users and you can get some good insight into the products that way. You do have to filter through other reviews by less knowledgeable and/or bitter people, though.

Nice, glad to see that it went well for you. I love the feeling you get when something you've put together w/ your own hands actually runs/starts up (though I had a hell of a time w/ the power/lights pins to case connections the first time I built one haha).

Most of the problems I run into are with hard drives and them being recognized when starting a new computer.

I built one while in high school. It wasn't anything high-end (not a gamer), but the whole experience of building it was really cool. I do remember being scared that I was going to break the CPU when installing it.

I built one while in high school. It wasn't anything high-end (not a gamer), but the whole experience of building it was really cool. I do remember being scared that I was going to break the CPU when installing it.

It is a fragile item, that's for sure. Bending pins is my biggest fear. Especially as you get more and more on a chip.

Nice, glad to see that it went well for you. I love the feeling you get when something you've put together w/ your own hands actually runs/starts up (though I had a hell of a time w/ the power/lights pins to case connections the first time I built one haha).

My biggest problem at first was figuring out what all needed power and making sure everything got hooked up to the PS. Soooooooo many cords, lol. But yeah, once I got it up and running, it was definitely a great feeling knowing I put it all together myself. It's definitely the only way I'll go for now on. Although, I don't anticipate needing anything but minor upgrades for several years.

Awesome broski. What video card?

I'm unemployed, so I just picked up one that actually had 2 video outputs :laugh: . Nothing special. I'm not even sure I have the case room to upgrade to anything great right now.

Monitor is the one that was on sale at Woot.com yesterday.

I'm unemployed, so I just picked up one that actually had 2 video outputs :laugh: . Nothing special. I'm not even sure I have the case room to upgrade to anything great right now.

Monitor is the one that was on sale at Woot.com yesterday.

Ohhhh, cool. I saw that. You should have asked me, I might have parted with my current video card for a small fee(read:free) and bought a new one.

Ohhhh, cool. I saw that. You should have asked me, I might have parted with my current video card for a small fee(read:free) and bought a new one.

Damn. The one I'm using right now is (I think) your really old video card lulz :D .

I was hoping to get it all in this weekend, though. As I need to power through some programming over the next few weeks.

Crazy cooincidence that this thread just popped up. I hadn't done any building while in law school, but I just graduated and ended up being commissioned to build 3 new high end desktops and fashion a fourth desktop from a pile of spare parts and two older machines.

I'd never built computers for other people before, and when the parts came for all the new machines I felt like a damn king. Sexy sexy video cards all laid out, three fresh mobo boxes stacked on top of one another, nine 29" monitors, and so many neat wires and such. Two of the kits were requested to be high-end gaming machines with high aesthetic appeal. I went totally nuts with a fire/ice red/blue neon theme. Neon down the front, on the inside and totally rad SATA cables.

I used to buy from Tiger Direct. I ended up getting a lot of the parts from there this time as well, a few from newegg (RAM) and some of the cables from Google shopping comparison.

TWDeac is right, it just feels good to know what you're working with. I had missed the hardcore raw power that gaming PCs bring to the table.

...made me miss Warcraft. But I've been clean for four years now...

WO any pics??

.. and :laugh: at missing Warcraft/being clean.

Crazy cooincidence that this thread just popped up. I hadn't done any building while in law school, but I just graduated and ended up being commissioned to build 3 new high end desktops and fashion a fourth desktop from a pile of spare parts and two older machines.

I'd never built computers for other people before, and when the parts came for all the new machines I felt like a damn king. Sexy sexy video cards all laid out, three fresh mobo boxes stacked on top of one another, nine 29" monitors, and so many neat wires and such. Two of the kits were requested to be high-end gaming machines with high aesthetic appeal. I went totally nuts with a fire/ice red/blue neon theme. Neon down the front, on the inside and totally rad SATA cables.

I used to buy from Tiger Direct. I ended up getting a lot of the parts from there this time as well, a few from newegg (RAM) and some of the cables from Google shopping comparison.

TWDeac is right, it just feels good to know what you're working with. I had missed the hardcore raw power that gaming PCs bring to the table.

...made me miss Warcraft. But I've been clean for four years now...

You aren't really missing anything. If you don't have time to raid, there is very little to do.

Knight, how did you get commissioned to do that stuff?

I'd love to do that on the side.

Damn. The one I'm using right now is (I think) your really old video card lulz :D .

I was hoping to get it all in this weekend, though. As I need to power through some programming over the next few weeks.

Well, at least you'll have a shiny new one to play with :)

You can just junk that old one. I doubt it would sell on craigslist or anything.

Back