• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Technology Thread: Building a Desktop Computer

tired of my boot SSD telling me it's full (60GB) was pretty big when I put this thing together 6/7 years ago.

just bought a 500GB SSD that's gonna be my C:/

any idea how to effectively migrate my windows install to the new drive?

If you find out, let me know. I was wondering the same thing, but ended up reading that as long as your motherboard supports it, there really isn't much benefit compared to just tagging an SSD on as even a 4th hard drive.

you're probably just better off doing a reformat on the new drive tbh

windows installer is pretty intuitive when it comes to keeping files and stuff

you're probably just better off doing a reformat on the new drive tbh

windows installer is pretty intuitive when it comes to keeping files and stuff

but the new SSD? honestly so much shit gets saved to the default drive that I'd rather install this new thing and let it be C:/

but the new SSD? honestly so much shit gets saved to the default drive that I'd rather install this new thing and let it be C:/

i don't understand

i was saying to reinstall windows on your new SSD-- the windows installer will ask if you want to do a clean install and how you want to handle your existing files

just through windows settings --> update & security --> reset this PC?

that gives me an option to move OS to new drive instead of just resetting everything on the C:/?

I think so? With Windows 10 it should depending on how you do it. When you go to reinstall it'll ask you where to put it, but that miiiiight only work on a clean install, which isn't what you want

I used some tool a couple of years ago when I upgraded my SSD, but damn if I recall what the hell it was. You might also simply be able to backup and restore to the new drive if you have a DVD or 2nd drive to backup to.

So I finished my new PC about a month ago. It's pretty friggin sweet so far. Here's a link to the parts if anyone is interested: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QWFYCb

Had quite a few issues over the last month, the worst of which was Windows started giving me a winload.exe error every time I restarted, and even after trying to repair with the installation media via USB it didn't correct it. So I did fresh installs over and over to the point where I just RMA'd the boot nVME drive. Everything has worked fine since then.

Anyone have any tips on getting bluetooth headphones to work with a bluetooth dongle on Windows 10? I can get the headphones to pair and connect, but they just show as an arbitrary bluetooth device, and not an audio device. I can't seem to get them to work. I'm starting to think it's the shitty dongle that I bought. If anyone has any recommendations for a good one, I'd appreciate the feedback. I had to remove mine because for some reason it started interfering with other parts of the PC. For example my "Settings" menu wouldn't stay open. It would open and then immediately minimize, and if I maximized, it would just shrink again. Over and over. Noticed the same thing happening with Microsoft Edge (which I never use, but during troubleshooting, the PC opened Edge for default support links in Windows.) Such a weird issue.

Last edited:
Back