• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Technology Thread: Building a Desktop Computer

I just pulled the trigger on a video card since they threw in Dungeon Siege III and I was going to buy that anyway. Will probably ebay the Batman code.

OK, So I'm still researching, but can someone double-check and let me know if this (so far) would work together?

I didn't look too much into the MoBo, it was one that was on the page of the CPU, so I clicked on it and was interested.

CPU:

Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52400

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115074

Motherboard:

PSU:

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

If I have something that is more expensive or advanced than I need, let me know...if it's not enough, let me know.

Last edited:
I would shy away from Biostar. Not a fan of them.

You could probably drop $30 in the processor and go with the i5-2400.

If someone wants to see what kind of lower budget system they can build around the i5-2400, I'd love to hear it.

I have Windows 7, a HDD, DVD-RW Drive, a Network card, a monitor/keyboard/mouse...

Need everything else.

Not sure if I need a fancy Video card or not, and don't think I want a sound card.

Thoughts?

I can pick out my own compatible case...just need the PSU/CPU/MOBO combination

you could do something like this

with the i5 it has onboard graphics and sound so you can use them and then upgrade to a dedicated card later if you need to. Plus there is a rebate on the PSU and a $15 coupon on the processor. You could even dial the PSU down quite a bit if you are do not plan to run any big graphics cards. You could also look into the 65w instead of 95w i5 that is a little more expensive but could save you in power costs in the long run plus it takes less cooling so it is quieter. I just built an i3 based HTPC using a similar miroATX Gigabyte board and have been pleased so far.

you could do something like this

with the i5 it has onboard graphics and sound so you can use them and then upgrade to a dedicated card later if you need to. Plus there is a rebate on the PSU and a $15 coupon on the processor. You could even dial the PSU down quite a bit if you are do not plan to run any big graphics cards. You could also look into the 65w instead of 95w i5 that is a little more expensive but could save you in power costs in the long run plus it takes less cooling so it is quieter. I just built an i3 based HTPC using a similar miroATX Gigabyte board and have been pleased so far.

Funny, I have that same MoBo in my newegg "wishlist" right now.

And will 8GB Ram be enough, or should I just splurge and get 16GB?

Or only do that if/when I update video card or other components?

Actually, I was wrong...I had a different Mobo (haven't gotten around to the RAM yet):

vs2lgk.jpg

I think the only difference in the MOBO i posted is that it has USB 3.0 which may be nice to have in the future. IMO 8gb is still plenty of memory for about anything the average user is going to do and it is not like you can't add more later very easily if you decide you need more.

I think the only difference in the MOBO i posted is that it has USB 3.0 which may be nice to have in the future. IMO 8gb is still plenty of memory for about anything the average user is going to do and it is not like you can't add more later very easily if you decide you need more.

That's my exact thought process...and I'm trying to get things that would be more of a pain to upgrade as future-proof as possible within my budget.

So RAM and stuff isn't as big of a deal.

But having USB 3.0 would be good.

8gb is fine, but it's so cheap now, you might go ahead and splurge. I've seen all those parts on sale, so if you're patient you might save like $30 picking them up one at a time or in combo deals.

Questions for those who are even tech-ier than me:

1. I have an old Linksys wireless router that uses "b/g" technology. It has been reliable, but we are getting more and more wireless devices (phones, tablets, laptops, etc.). I am wondering if I should upgrade to a new "n" router. Do you think I would see noticeable speed/range improvements?

FYI I have TWCable Roadrunner high speed internet so the data pipe in is about as good as I can make it.

2. Would like to have better wireless coverage throughout the house. What's the best/easiest/cheapest way to boost signal or add range?

Last edited:
Questions for those who are even tech-ier than me:

1. I have an old Linksys wireless router that uses "b/g" technology. It has been reliable, but we are getting more and more wireless devices (phones, tablets, laptops, etc.). I am wondering if I should upgrade to a new "n" router. Do you think I would see noticeable speed/range improvements?

FYI I have TWCable Roadrunner high speed internet so the data pipe in is about as good as I can make it.

2. Would like to have better wireless coverage throughout the house. What's the best/easiest/cheapest way to boost signal or add range?

The old linksys routers were some of the best personal routers you could buy. If it looks like this,
Linksys_WRT54G_V1.jpg

You are probably good until it dies, or you start streaming blu-rays and need gigabyte ethernet or something.

I've never lived in a house that is big enough to need a range extender :p

But seriously, you can buy something like a range extender(repeater)

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-Wireless-G-Range-Expander-WRE54G/dp/B00021XIJW

Or you can buy another router and link them.

http://www.labnol.org/internet/extend-wifi-wireless-network-range/13534/

I have that Linksys, early in the year I got an N router. Speed increase was not shockingly so. However, if you're looking for a repeater, you should go ahead and get a new N router and then use Tomato/DDWRT firmware to turn that Linksys into a repeater.

thanks for the links. Has anyone tried the power line adapters? that would be much easier for me to implement than running cable around in my house. Do they actually work?

thanks for the links. Has anyone tried the power line adapters? that would be much easier for me to implement than running cable around in my house. Do they actually work?

My Powerline adapters are fast enough to directly stream HD content from my DirecTV receiver to my upstairs HTPC.

That's about as throughput-heavy a need as anyone would have in a home theater configuration I'd guess. I did get the HD version or whatever they are called and not the slow version. Overall they've been completely hassle free and I've been very happy with them.

My Powerline adapters are fast enough to directly stream HD content from my DirecTV receiver to my upstairs HTPC.

That's about as throughput-heavy a need as anyone would have in a home theater configuration I'd guess. I did get the HD version or whatever they are called and not the slow version. Overall they've been completely hassle free and I've been very happy with them.

Thanks. What brand/model do you have? Looks like there are a lot of choices.

Back