• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What will it take to bring Tim Duncan into greater involvment with WF basketball?

Really creative answers.

Notwithstanding the snide remarks, Duncan could be really helpful in recruiting. Send recruits a clip of him at Wake and with the Spurs (in case they are not fans of the game they play) and have him give them a call from wherever. If he is truly sold on the new coach and facilities, he could make a compelling pitch for WF. I suspect the past stars in Durham and Chapel Hill have played a role in their recruiting of 4 and 5 star recruits. It is too bad that the biggest star in Wake history is not actively representing Wake on some level.

Why would clips of Duncan at Wake matter to a recruit? There is not a single person involved in the Wake basketball program (at least from coaching/development/strength training) that was at Wake when Duncan was there. The practice courts aren't even the same. I haven't checked the Psychology department recently, but I'd imagine there has been substantial turnover in that department as well.

What's he going to say? Other than some platitude about how Wake helped prepare him for the NBA, which he can say in a tweet or interview and then let the coaches do whatever they want with it.

He ain't Jordan. He doesn't have an entire brand of shoes/clothing to keep him relevant with kids (or figure out ways to bribe kids without getting UNC in trouble). And I doubt he has any desire to become the T. Boone Pickens of Wake basketball.

Unless you know Duncan's quirky personality, and doubtful many 1 6 year-olds do, a phone call from Duncan would come across as awkward as the 10 year old kid who is forced by his parents to apologize to the grocery store manager stealing a piece of candy. There's a reason the guy was one of the top 5 players in the world for years, but about the best he could do endorsement-wise was a bit part in a tire ad. And that's not a knock on Tim; to this day there's no consensus as to whether he was just not good at that stuff or didn't give a rat's fanny about finding out.
I'm good with his jersey in the rafters and plenty of visuals around our facilities that state emphatically he was "ours" for 4 years.

Why would clips of Duncan at Wake matter to a recruit? There is not a single person involved in the Wake basketball program (at least from coaching/development/strength training) that was at Wake when Duncan was there. The practice courts aren't even the same. I haven't checked the Psychology department recently, but I'd imagine there has been substantial turnover in that department as well.

What's he going to say? Other than some platitude about how Wake helped prepare him for the NBA, which he can say in a tweet or interview and then let the coaches do whatever they want with it.

He ain't Jordan. He doesn't have an entire brand of shoes/clothing to keep him relevant with kids (or figure out ways to bribe kids without getting UNC in trouble). And I doubt he has any desire to become the T. Boone Pickens of Wake basketball.

Randolph Childress says "hi"!

There's a reason the guy was one of the top 5 players in the world for years, but about the best he could do endorsement-wise was a bit part in a tire ad.

All credibility lost right there....”The roses are out of bounds, Timmy. Not the daisies!”

Tim Duncan doesn’t owe us anything. And he’s definitely not to blame for our futility since he left.

Does anyone have actual information about what Duncan has or has not done to help Wake? How would we know? He’s not the guy who would ever parade in front of a crowd waving a big check, tooting his own horn, etc.

(But then, if he happened to offer to pay for a certain buyout....)

1. The space to be as involved (or not) in 100% complete anonymity, and

2. Reopen Hero House.

1. The space to be as involved (or not) in 100% complete anonymity, and

2. Reopen Hero House.

Hero House no longer exists? I used to love the club sub. They also had a mean chicken souvlaki, second only to George's Grecian Corner.

Hero House no longer exists? I used to love the club sub. They also had a mean chicken souvlaki, second only to George's Grecian Corner.

The original one on Stratford Rd is still there. The one by the Joel is long gone and the one on Peter's Creek closed last year.

It's a fair question but of course people feel the need to pile on the OP.

Perfectly reasonable to ask why our most prominent basketball alumnus is not more involved with the program. Muggsy is a model in that respect - frequently attends game, talks up Wake in the media, etc. Duncan isn't cut from the same cloth and is never going to make himself the center of attention, but it would be pretty stupid for the AD not to think of ways to leverage the connection to Duncan and I'm sure they have.

For all we know, Duncan does a lot for WF. I have always assumed the stuff about him being "removed" was just internet banter, and that he's just given whatever support he's given without any fanfare.

Why do people think he needs to be more involved with the program? He stayed at Wake for four years when his peers were leaving after two or three. He won two ACC Championships. He was the prominent Deac in professional sports for 19 years.

Why do people think he needs to be more involved with the program? He stayed at Wake for four years when his peers were leaving after two or three. He won two ACC Championships. He was the prominent Deac in professional sports for 19 years.

Because he is probably one of the best big man NBA players to play the game and he did his collegiate ball at "little ole WF". Yes you're right about all those points but why wouldn't he have some loyalty to see the program improve? There are only a few schools who can claim to have some of the top talent to ever play at the NBA level and LOWF is one of them. Again, why wouldn't you take advantage of that if you could? When you watch any of the top programs(UNC,Duke,Oklahoma,Texas) or any of the programs that seem to continually stay at the top of the basketball and football game, their former players are involved in the program even if its simply showing up for a game on the sidelines. We don't have much to boast about over the last two decades but Timmy Duncan and Chris Paul are among the best-of-the-best and there is nothing wrong with wishing they were a little more involved. Do they owe Wake anything? Why hell no!!! But just the thought of Tim Duncan being in the crowd could get a few more people to the Joel would be a good thing.

Back