• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Business Cell Phone Calls?

DeacWatcher

Ricky Peral
Reaction score
If you are given a name at a company to call on (say an email is forwarded to you) and on that email it has that persons cell number, is it okay to call them on it? This would be a person you have never met and were given their email by another employee.

The reason I ask is many times in business people will obviously just delete an introductory email but most folks will still answer a cell call unless they know exactly who it is and don't want to talk with that person.

Its getting harder and harder to get to the right person you want to pitch your product to as they are so insulated at their company and will never answer a land line call.

I'd start with their office phone and if you don't get a call back, call the mobile. If they include it in their email signature, it's fair game.

one does not list a mobile number unless they expect to receive calls on it

More companies are doing away with personal land lines and just using company owned cell phones.

I think you have it backwards. I never answer a cell phone call unless I know exactly who it is. I always answer my office phone. If its a sales call I just hang up while they are in mid sentence.

I think you have it backwards. I never answer a cell phone call unless I know exactly who it is. I always answer my office phone. If its a sales call I just hang up while they are in mid sentence.

yeah, this is the only way to live.

Yeah, that's exactly what I said. We have a receptionist that screens our calls at the office, so old fashioned caller ID saves me there.

I think the real discussion is around business texting etiquette

it's quickly becoming acceptable, even preferred, for a lot of people

I'd start with their office phone and if you don't get a call back, call the mobile. If they include it in their email signature, it's fair game.

I include one in mine for people at our company / key partners to track me down, not for telesales.

Landlines are a thing of the past, as is voicemail. 99% of my land line calls are conferences, head hunters or sales people. I feel for sales people who cold call all day. Thats the worst.

Texting is all the rage now too. If I need to get my boss, I have to text him to read the email I just sent.

I include one in mine for people at our company / key partners to track me down, not for telesales.

Landlines are a thing of the past, as is voicemail. 99% of my land line calls are conferences, head hunters or sales people. I feel for sales people who cold call all day. Thats the worst.

Texting is all the rage now too. If I need to get my boss, I have to text him to read the email I just sent.

I text with customers sometimes as well, only if they text me first though.

I text with customers sometimes as well, only if they text me first though.

Yeah I’ve seen a recent uptick in clients (#wakegaltalksclients) texting me in the last year or so. I guess it makes sense for the sake of convenience but it’s also truly turned work into a potential 24/7 activity.

now what exactly do sailors need to text clients about

My coverage gets pretty spotty about ten miles offshore.

Back