• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Requiem for the old-school ACC tournament (and classroom TV cart)

Ha ha - I definitely remember that back in elementary school. Come noon on the Friday, it was time to break out the TV cart and watch the tourney.

Those were better days. Maybe if Trump's giant proposal to cut funding to the DOE (which is beyond a terrible idea on a multitude of levels) goes through, kids will have more time to watch television in school.

I remember one time in elementary school I was such a big wake fan that my teacher set me up in a separate room with a television set to watch the game

We never did that in MD growing up, even though most everyone was a MD fan. What we used to do after college for several years is get a group of ACC fans together, all take off Friday and have an all day party. That and I've gone to a few ACC tourneys. But now you have to take off the whole darn week. Not worth it and don't have the time to do it.

Last great ACC Tournament was 2004 IMO, not coincidentally the last one with under 11 teams.

Always thought that would make a good book topic delving into that tournament, clearly a lot of nostalgia for those old days

I taught HS in Virginia in the 90s, and ABSOLUTELY did this.

We had those TV's mounted in the upper corner of every classroom. The school put the tourney on every one of them and left it up to the teachers to leave them on or not. The only teacher I ever had that put up much of a fight ended up just muting the sound and threatened to turn it off if we distracted the rest of the class with our reactions. I remember several teachers letting us bring snacks and drinks, and one teacher even put out a spread every year for the students. I went to a private school and we had a pretty strict dress code, but when the tourney started everyone was allowed to wear their teams gear to school. Ah, the good ole days....

The expansion of the NCAAT (which was significantly caused by NCST beating MD in the ACCT) has made the ACCT far less important.

yeah this happened in my high school on the reg, but you had to have the right teacher. if you had social studies/history/math/PE in the afternoon (all of which teachers were male and usually coached some sport), you were set, if you had English or Science (all of which teachers were female or uptight dudes with little interest in sports) you were screwed.

When you had to win the tournament to get the bid to the NCAA tourney, that was some fuckin' pressure. There were some awesome teams that didn't make it:

Wake over UNC, 1973. Still remember George Karl crying after Phil Perry laid it in for the win!
State over a great Maryland team in 1974. 103-100, I think in overtime. That Maryland team was good enough to win it all!

When you had to win the tournament to get the bid to the NCAA tourney, that was some fuckin' pressure. There were some awesome teams that didn't make it:

Wake over UNC, 1973. Still remember George Karl crying after Phil Perry laid it in for the win!
State over a great Maryland team in 1974. 103-100, I think in overtime. That Maryland team was good enough to win it all!

I still have a scar on my thumb from where I cut it throwing my hands in the air and hit the thumb on a light in New Dorm when Flip hit that shot.

We never did that in MD growing up, even though most everyone was a MD fan. What we used to do after college for several years is get a group of ACC fans together, all take off Friday and have an all day party. That and I've gone to a few ACC tourneys. But now you have to take off the whole darn week. Not worth it and don't have the time to do it.

even more proof that MD didn't belong in the real ACC

article absolutely nails my elementary experience at Stough Elementary

I remember one time in elementary school I was such a big wake fan that my teacher set me up in a separate room with a television set to watch the game

chris, did your parent(s) go to Wake? what was your childhood connection?

I was likewise a minority as a Wake fan in Raleigh

Middle school - heck yeah.

By high school, then work and beyond, I came up with every reason possible to skip school or work for Quarterfinal Friday.

even more proof that MD didn't belong in the real ACC

Yeah, I was extremely pissed at Yow and MD for bolting. Md@Alaska used to be my 2nd favorite school to Wake for decades. Dixon and Baxter winning that natty is 1 of my 2 or 3 all-time favorite hoops moments. Then they bolted for the B10, and now they're pretty much dead to me - and then Wake hoops bottomed out. I'll root for MD in lacrosse but don't follow them in football or hoops any longer. Switched my secondary allegiance to VT & UVA. If it weren't for the good Buzz and Bennett the last several years, I probably would have stopped following college hoops.

I spent several days "learning" my dads official signature. Then, all of a sudden at about 11:00 on ACCT Fridays, I had a scheduled dentist appointment...and there were a line of kids that also had dentist appointments. I got away with it for 3 years in a row.

article absolutely nails my elementary experience at Stough Elementary

chris, did your parent(s) go to Wake? what was your childhood connection?

I was likewise a minority as a Wake fan in Raleigh

Same. My 4th grade English teacher was a Wake fan though, and we watched us take down the Heels one opening Friday to the dismay of most of the class. Good times.

Time

Same. My 4th grade English teacher was a Wake fan though, and we watched us take down the Heels one opening Friday to the dismay of most of the class. Good times.

Sad....but I just don't care anymore. When Wake has lost first round games 10 out of 11 times it's time to let go...

Back