• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is rj right about the hot hand and the nerds are wrong?

buckets

#1 Bald Hero
Reaction score
M6ASWml.png

The nerds are in the minority, not me. Players and coaches are on my side.

The nerds are in the minority, not me. Players and coaches are on my side.
Actually coaches aren't on your side because they regularly draw up critical plays to go to their best player regardless of how good of a game he's had

Actually coaches aren't on your side because they regularly draw up critical plays to go to their best player regardless of how good of a game he's had

Having a hot hand is not a regular occurrence. Thus, your point is off base.

My bad, RJ said it.

Ever wonder why guys on defense, after a non-shooting foul has been called, but the offense guy who was fouled still jacks up a shot 1,2 or even 3 seconds later or one of their teammates grabs the ball and jacks up a shot...BUT the defensive guy near the hoop, goes out of his way and jumps up and makes sure and goaltends and swats or grabs that ball? You've seen it.

They do that so the shooter, in this case not in an And-1 situation, cannot and will not see that ball go through the hoop. Once it goes through, you can start to get hot, get your range and perhaps in the zone and make 2, 3, 4 in a row and that is a problem for your opponent, especially if you have been missing shots/cold. Klay gets in rhythm and it's going in.

In the zone is a little different, as in that situation, it is like you and maybe 3-4 other people on the court. You don't even notice some guys anymore are even out there.

Hot hands exist. Predicting when a hot hand will start or end is impossible, so it’s a terrible thing to base a decision on.

Can we just end this thread now?

i don't understand that chart at all. 0 consecutive 3pointers is shooting 40%? what?

Think we’re going to need attempts, or it’s just percentages fucking with people that don’t understand stats, I.e RJ

Hot hands exist. Predicting when a hot hand will start or end is impossible, so it’s a terrible thing to base a decision on.

Can we just end this thread now?

We can, because you just showed that you don't basketball.

i don't understand that chart at all. 0 consecutive 3pointers is shooting 40%? what?

I believe this means that Klay is shooting 40% on 3's when coming off a miss,

when he has just made one consecutive 3, he's shooting 43% on the subsequent attempt, etc.

Even Steph gets a cold hand. In 17-18, he had games of:

1-7
1-10
1-8
2-9

He's also had games of:

0-7
0-8
0-10
0-11

But actual results don't matter.

Ever wonder why guys on defense, after a non-shooting foul has been called, but the offense guy who was fouled still jacks up a shot 1,2 or even 3 seconds later or one of their teammates grabs the ball and jacks up a shot...BUT the defensive guy near the hoop, goes out of his way and jumps up and makes sure and goaltends and swats or grabs that ball? You've seen it.

They do that so the shooter, in this case not in an And-1 situation, cannot and will not see that ball go through the hoop. Once it goes through, you can start to get hot, get your range and perhaps in the zone and make 2, 3, 4 in a row and that is a problem for your opponent, especially if you have been missing shots/cold. Klay gets in rhythm and it's going in.

In the zone is a little different, as in that situation, it is like you and maybe 3-4 other people on the court. You don't even notice some guys anymore are even out there.

meh, i thought it was a little fuck you to the guy shooting your basket, period

rj's victory lap will be epic and insufferable and never-ending and insufferable and glorious and insufferable but mostly insufferable

A 25% shooter is 3-4 for the game. RJ, will he make his next shot?

He's more likely to make it than a 40% shooter who is 0-4 that night.

Do you even understand the difference between a 25% and 40% shooter who take 4 spg is one make every other game? If you are sucking one night, you tend to keep sucking (I've even shown you how the greatest 3 point shooter of all time has those nights).

Sports aren't played by computers. They are played by humans. If you don't think confidence plays a major part in the game, you are clueless.

If I were coaching, I don't want the guy who hasn't made a shot taking a big shot. Sorry, there aren't many exceptions to that rule.

Back