• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coaching search digest thread: pre-firing stage

OldGoldBeard

A Sorry WR Like Crabtree
Reaction score
Since all of the coaching search-related threads tend to take off at a gallop, I started a thread five years ago that I would regularly update with what I deemed to be credible information posted elsewhere. It served as a summary for people who didn't have time to wade through hundreds of posts across multiple other threads. The majority of the information posted here will be in the form of quotes. For those who don't know, you can click on the blue arrow next to the quoted post and be taken directly to that post in its original thread.

In keeping with the spirit of this thread, please keep replies focused, informative, and few in number. If you have a scoop, by all means, post it here. If you want to discuss the relative merits of a coaching candidate, please take that discussion elsewhere.

While Manning has not yet been fired, I feel confident enough that he will be to start this thread. That's based on the following.

Logic:

Credible Information:

Tuesday at 1:30. Not a guess.

(Seconding godeacsplate's post).

The Shaka rumor may not be crazy

#sauces

I know Manning is gone, been saying it for months now.

Contra that, we have:

Just heard from a very good source that it won’t be any earlier than March 2020. Said the school can’t afford the buyout until it significantly drops after next season.

Obviously, I find the first set of posts more credible than the last. We'll see what happens over the next few days and weeks.

We HOPE the first set of posts are more credible than the last. Do the posters above have sauces?

Its all good Creamy, we can both agree Manning is gone. But you were the only one saying Wellman would be gone this year. So props to Creamy on that one. But we all know everyone is teambigboy! 😉😉

Last edited:
I only post information that I think is credible, or else make a point of stating that I don't suspect it's true. Part of this thread is my parsing information for those who aren't as familiar with the board's posters.

Via PM:

"[My source] says that he doesn't know the exact number of Manning's buyout, but it is apparently significant enough that he thinks it may be difficult to break the bank on a new coach."

I only post information that I think is credible, or else make a point of stating that I don't suspect it's true. Part of this thread is my parsing information for those who aren't as familiar with the board's posters.

Via PM:

"[My source] says that he doesn't know the exact number of Manning's buyout, but it is apparently significant enough that he thinks it may be difficult to break the bank on a new coach."

:willynilly::rulz::tear::sick:

Its all good Creamy, we can both agree Manning is gone. But you were the only one saying Wellman would be gone this year. So props to Creamy on that one. But we all know everyone is teambigboy! 😉😉

No he wasn't...

I am unable to edit the original post in this thread, so please keep replies limited and mature.

If you want to PM info to me rather than posting it publicly, I am happy to launder your information for you and post it here anonymously. However, unless you specifically tell me otherwise, I will anonymously post all information PM'ed to me.

More buyout info via PM:

"Yeah I’ve heard from two different people who would be in the know at Wake (who may or may not have gotten this information from the same person - so could just be the same second source) that the contract buyout is 8 figures. One said the 18 isn’t right but “think 10.” One seemed to think this would be a serious problem for us buying him out, the other thinks Danny is gone regardless with Currie coming in."

Contra that, this has been posted:

I'm hearing $3.5.

My source is telling me the extension is incentive based. If he hits the incentives and gets fired hes owed 18 million, if he doesnt hit the incentives and gets fired hes only owed 3.6 million. And my guess is he wont hit the incentives so there you go.

I don't have enough information to make a call

Someone has posted a tag in 4 diff threads that the buyout was $3.2 million.

Someone has posted a tag in 4 diff threads that the buyout was $3.2 million.

categorically not true. That is his pay per season. The buyout is much closer to $18 Mil than anyone in the AD will admit. Prepare for another year of misery. Firing Manning is too expensive this year. What is the next best thing - forcing out the bozo that inked the deal.

If Wake is this stupid, it does not deserve any fans.

categorically not true. That is his pay per season. The buyout is much closer to $18 Mil than anyone in the AD will admit. Prepare for another year of misery. Firing Manning is too expensive this year. What is the next best thing - forcing out the bozo that inked the deal.

If Nathan Hatch allowed Ron Wellman to obligate the university to an eight-figure buyout of an unproven, unqualified coach in basketball after a single barely above-mediocre season, then the Board of Trustees needs to demand that Pres. Hatch send a letter of apology to every Wake alumnus, Deacon Club donor and season ticket holder. Such a stupid decision, by Wellman but enabled by Hatch, is the very definition of flagrant waste of organizational resources. It is pure malpractice in office and cannot be allowed to go unsanctioned. Any corporate officer who did such harm to the business would be shown the door.

Last edited:

There is no way in hell that this is his pay per season. And from every indication I see, the deal is done. Guess we will see next week.

No offense, but if we limited this thread to actual facts, it’d have 2 posts.

Manning getting fired
New coach getting hired

Everything else is opinion (or, more accurately, guessing).

Back