• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Great Nate Oats story

Very impressive. He produced 18 D-1 players in 11 years coaching in HS. Definitely seems like the hard working Clawson type guy we need.

#HaulinOats

Wow. That dude is going to be elite.

Soon after Oats got the Romulus job, he called his close friend and old college teammate Baker to come join him. Baker was nervous because he lacked coaching experience and asked Oats if he should read a book by Pat Riley or Mike Krzyzewksi. "Books?" Oats asked. "Shoot, they'll write books about us."

How long will Oats stay at Buffalo?

As Buffalo hits the closing stretch of their historic season, the inevitable question lingers as to how long Oats will stick around. Buffalo athletic director Mark Alnutt said school is "having continuing conversations" about an extension with Oats and his representatives. Oats says he lacks a burning desire to leave. He said he just bought a million-dollar home in the area, and his wife, Crystal, and their three girls – Lexie (14), Jocie (9) and Brielle (6) – are comfortable there.

Not surprisingly, a guy who less than six years ago was selling Hot Cheetos for an edge now dreams that Buffalo could turn into a Butler or Gonzaga.

"If I were to leave, it would have to be something really, really good that just made a lot of sense," Oats said. "Like I would not want to leave for a job that I didn't think you could really win at."

Now it is up to Currie to convince the man that Wake is a place he can win at. Everything I've seen and read about him would have me to believe going up against Roy, K, Jim B, etc is something that he can't pass up. He seems like someone that believes he can be better than all of them.
He went right at the Pac 12 softness and then destroyed their best team by 20+ in the tournament. I hope his Pac12 comments will keep him from wanting to coach in the conference. He belongs at Wake. If he isn't Wake's next coach, he better still be at Buffalo.

Tell Nate Wake has gone toe to toe with UNC and Duke with coaches nobody would write a book about. He can win here and be the top coach in the ACC after Roy, K, and Boeheim leave. Why be the next Butler or Gonzaga when you can be the next Duke?

That contract just gives Currie a starting point. Make it happen. Good on Buffalo to make sure they get a bigger buyout.

Yeah, that contract extension doesn't necessarily mean anything more than Buffalo is going to get a bigger buyout when Oats takes on a bigger program (if he is willing to explore moving up the coaching ladder).

Ron Wellman has shown us twice what an extension means (not a damn thing). In the article the Buffalo AD stated some schools can throw around crazy #s like $2 million per season. To say that is crazy must mean he just got a bump to around $1 million. He is losing a lot off this roster, so if he doesn't leave this off season, he very well may end up there for a long time.

I've been an Oats supporter for the Wake job ever since I saw an interview with him a while back. He has the "it" factor of tremendous personal charisma, confidence and the will to win. We need this guy.

Tell Nate Wake has gone toe to toe with UNC and Duke with coaches nobody would write a book about. He can win here and be the top coach in the ACC after Roy, K, and Boeheim leave. Why be the next Butler or Gonzaga when you can be the next Duke?

That contract just gives Currie a starting point. Make it happen. Good on Buffalo to make sure they get a bigger buyout.

This. Roy, K, and Boeheim only have a few years left. The next generation of elite ACC coaches will be Tony Bennett and who? Wake should not be looking for a "better coach than Manning," or someone to make us "historically competitive." We need to be hiring the next Roy, or K. Nate Oats, is that you?

I love this

His old boss at Buffalo, Arizona State's Bobby Hurley, told him the remark irked Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott. "But you know what?" he told Yahoo Sports in his office recently. "They're worse this year than last year. Did I lie? Did I lie? I told the truth."

I agree; I would love to see Oates get the job. Right now I’m torn between he and Shaka. Either would suit me just fine.

I think in another thread it said he’s now at ~$877k after this extension

I am all in for bringing Oats into the mix and taking the risk that it could be a HR hire and potentially bring many good years to Wake basketball. For sure, I think we are due some good basketball karma for a change. And if it turns out after another 4-5 years that Oats is a 3rd consecutive flame out I can accept it if he is fully engaged and at least makes an honest attempt to connect with the fans and media from day 1...and shows obvious signs of passion and fight in games...versus the last 2 regimes of awkwardness, passiveness and seemingly acceptance of Wake's lot....

If we're picking between Shaka and Oats, we're in a good spot.

Back