• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Opens 2019-20 Season at BC

I spoke to a top 75 2020 pg this past week. Out of curiosity I picked his brain about possible coaches. Lets say Shaka and Matta would give Wake Forest instant credibility, while Wes Miller would excite top recruits as much as he excites me.

I'd love to get Shaka or Matta, but I don't think that's very likely. I think Miller is likely, and I think he'll be a good coach.

Well at least that's better than Odom.

Keep upping your hopes, Rafi

What? We're not in the Champions Classic. How can that be??

Ah the good old days when Wake, State, UNC, and Duke where in the Dixie Classic Tournament. I watched a lot of those.

Cheating by the baby blue got it killed.

What? We're not in the Champions Classic. How can that be??

Ah the good old days when Wake, State, UNC, and Duke where in the Dixie Classic Tournament. I watched a lot of those.

The Dixie Classic ended in the early '60s after the point shaving scandal at UNC and NC State. It was before my time but it sounds like a great tournament. The four NC schools against four of the top teams from outside the ACC. I believe it was played in Reynolds Coliseum between Christmas and New Years every year.

The Big Four Tourney was the four NC schools playing each other. It was usually held in early December. Wake won the most titles. I think we won 3 straight in the mid '70s and then the final one in '80. That season we destroyed State in the first game and then beat UNC for the championship (the UNC game is on Youtube and it is fun to watch). It was the first of four games between Wake and UNC. Wake won the Big Four and in Chapel Hill and UNC won in WS and in the ACC Tournament.

I spoke to a top 75 2020 pg this past week. Out of curiosity I picked his brain about possible coaches. Lets say Shaka and Matta would give Wake Forest instant credibility, while Wes Miller would excite top recruits as much as he excites me.

Why do you say that? Wes is a great recruiter. It sounds like you all have watched about as many UNCG games as Ron Wellman. Wes is going to be a really good coach at a P5 school over the next 30 years. Hope it is with us.

Anyone who criticizes the Wes hire must include a list of their top 3 choices who realistically would take the job so we can evaluate your options over the coming years like they have dissected my Miller choice since '09.

Why do you say that? Wes is a great recruiter. It sounds like you all have watched about as many UNCG games as Ron Wellman. Wes is going to be a really good coach at a P5 school over the next 30 years. Hope it is with us.

He didn’t say it. A top 75 recruit did.

I'd love to get Shaka or Matta, but I don't think that's very likely. I think Miller is likely, and I think he'll be a good coach.
Didn't you think [Redacted] and Manning would be good coaches?

Anyone who criticizes the Wes hire must include a list of their top 3 choices who realistically would take the job so we can evaluate your options over the coming years like they have dissected my Miller choice since '09.

First I wouldn't go the mid-major route because Wake needs to make an impact hire. So my top 3 coaches non-mid major would be Thad Matta, Shaka Smart, Steve Prohm. If I was going mid-major my top 3 would be 1. Nate Oats 2. Musselman 3. Mike Rhoades. In my overall list combining high-major coaches and mid-major coaches I'd have Wes around option #9.

I've watched UNCG the past 2 seasons, and I think Wes is a good defensive coach and has lots of energy and a good work ethic. I think Wes needs to get his teams better offensively and he also needs to show a little more recruiting chops. The twins coming in are a good start, although Va. Tech. basically pulled their offers I'm sure other coaches at high level mid-majors were still interested in them. Being local I'm sure helped Wes land them, but nonetheless they are a good for a program like UNCG. Now if he lands a top 250 big next year in the class of 2020 and can be a top 100 offense next season after losing Alonso and Troy, I'd be interested. This assuming he also keeps winning over 20 games and competing in the SoCon Tournament finals.

Back