• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Brue Pearl

Hate to break it you idiots, but the only way to win in college basketball is to “cheat”. Pearl is an extreme case, but it’s not like the K’s and the Calipari’s of the world haven’t done the exact s ame thing.

If you want to win, you make a deal with a shoe company runner and/or agent, and you pay for a player. That’s how it all works. You can decide for yourself if it’s wrong or not. But that’s the game.

No doubt some schools do this. But do you think that’s how Villanova won their championships? Do you think that’s how Texas Tech and Purdue made the elite eight? How about UVA? Which of their players do you think they paid for?

If we are cheating, just add to the things our basketball staff absolutely suck at.

Cheating and losing 20 games? Everyone should be fired for being stupid. The point of cheating is to win!

BC
Wake
Miami
NC State (haha, just kidding)
UVa
Honestly, I can't think of a 5th, maybe Vtech?

I still love the concept that some believe that Pearl got a multi-year, show cause penalty for having kids and recruits over for a BBQ. You don't get a three strike sentence for being a serial jaywalker.

BC
Wake
Miami
UVa

you're kidding on that one too, right?

He was also the AAU coach of Nassir Little, a UNC signee who appeared to be in a bidding war between Miami and Arizona, according to the FBI indictments. Augustine was initially accused of bribery and brokering corrupt deals with high school athletes.

On Oct. 23, Miami coach Jim Larranaga said he appears to be “Coach-3”, the person the federal documents allege requested $150,000 from adidas executives to pay Little to commit to both Miami and the apparel company. But Larranaga, who also wasn’t named in either indictment, said on Oct. 25 that he had never had a recruit ask for money.

you're kidding on that one too, right?

fair enough. What are your most likely 5? I KNEW NC State was dirty (again) the minute that former coach, former coed stalker, and current pariah, Gottfried showed up to sign Dennis Smith Jr in a helicopter. Smith Jr is the NBA's next Stevie Francis btw.

I also feel very strongly that Keats is if not CURRENTLY dirty, he's FORMERLY dirty. Louisville. Whores.

Agree with RJ on Pearl. Pearl is an old school snake oil salesman. Great coach, charismatic. Lying sack of shit though. Petrino-esque in his lying sack of shitness (though w. better comraderie w his players)

Last edited:
BC
Wake
Miami
UVa

He's saying 1 of 5 in all P6 conferences. Not just the ACC. I could see WF, BC and UVA being the only ones in the ACC not cheating.

He's saying 1 of 5 in all P6 conferences. Not just the ACC. I could see WF, BC and UVA being the only ones in the ACC not cheating.

I agree with that list, but not sure that is what he meant. How would he know what's going on in the Pac-12?

Maybe we could get Sylvia Hatchell. UNC doesn't seem to want her anymore.

I agree with that list, but not sure that is what he meant. How would he know what's going on in the Pac-12?

He couldn't, but that is what he said. One of 5 "at the power-league level". He's basically full of crap. You don't say that stuff publicly unless you are willing to start turning people in and naming names. That was his way of making an excuse for his lack of success.

There is plenty of shady stuff going on. But, I would guess that the majority of it is people riding the line between what is allowed and what is not - where the violations are minor and/or they would have an argument that they were complying or the rules weren't clear or something. And, I'm sure there are a lot of programs 'cheating' in the area of getting kids into school and keeping them eligible - the UNC fiasco has shown that to be a safe area of operation.

I think the number of programs that are blatantly cheating - like handing recruits sacks of cash, etc. - is relatively low. I have been known to be a bit naive but that is my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Why wouldn't he? Recruiting at the Power Conference level largely involves all those schools going after the same 150-200 players. If the shoe companies and AAU are the major source of corruption, it's not hard to see the kind of numbers he's throwing around.

The sport is rotten to its core. Honestly big time college athletics probably don't really even need to exist. Its an inherently corrupt system, which benefits a select few. It also makes a complete mockery out of the idea of the "student-athlete".

If you really want to be a professional athlete, you should focus on that a majority of your day, not school. Its something that global soccer does right.

The sport is rotten to its core. Honestly big time college athletics probably don't really even need to exist. Its an inherently corrupt system, which benefits a select few. It also makes a complete mockery out of the idea of the "student-athlete".

If you really want to be a professional athlete, you should focus on that a majority of your day, not school. Its something that global soccer does right.

It's going to be very, very difficult to get the NBA and NFL to pay for something they have been getting for free for decades. Note the impending demise of the AAF, a wanna be NFL farm league.

Back