• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman

I was thinking more about the visual image of burning Manning in effigy. For some reason, I was thinking it may not be the best idea any of us have had.

Better than actually burning Manning.

Effigy burning is really more a 1st world thing, not a college campus thing.

And I think that is probably a good thing.

Fair:

1. Get a life-size cut out Wellman and place him in front of a tree or something.
2. Go out and buy 300 bottle rockets
3. Optional: Split up into two teams and each walk about 50 feet on either side of the life-size cut out.
4. Drink a bottle of coke or sprite or a beer
5. Use the beer bottle to place bottle rockets in with the fuse sticking out.
6. Light fuse.
7. Aim at life-size cut out and/or your opponent on the other side of the life-size cutout (if applicable).

Not fair:

1. Burning effigys like a fucking caveman

Yeah, really bad form on Manning's part to sign that contract and expect Wake to live up to it.

I want him gone as much as anyone, but the idea that he is somehow obligated to just give up money that he is contractually owed is curious.

I want him gone as much as anyone, but the idea that he is somehow obligated to just give up money that he is contractually owed is curious.

The contract implies that he will do his job well. He has clearly failed.

And that he would at least pretend to give a shit. I assume he is doing such a bad job because he wants out but would like to take a big wad of money with him.
He did not count on how stupid Wellman is. Once Wellman fall in love, he stays in love.

Oh, so there should be automatic outs for bad contracts. Somehow I never learned that in contracts class.

Biff, yes, actually burning the human being would be much, much worse. Excellent point made.

Oh, so there should be automatic outs for bad contracts. Somehow I never learned that in contracts class.

Biff, yes, actually burning the human being would be much, much worse. Excellent point made.
I don't know, someone could make a not totally absurd argument that there was a bilateral mistake of fact that Danny Manning is an actual basketball coach and would actually coach basketball at Wake Forest.

You never learned taht you have to perform to get paid in contracts class?

Hell, I'd argue breach nd let me sue me and negotiate on the way to court

I don't know, someone could make a not totally absurd argument that there was a bilateral mistake of fact that Danny Manning is an actual basketball coach and would actually coach basketball at Wake Forest.

We may have to get Wellman's mental capacity found legally lacking and void the contract. That should not be hard to do in light of his recent decisions.

Yeah, but I would assume that getting the full contract (if it is truly "fully guaranteed" or whatever) would involve X amount of money over X amount of years, and would be dependent on not taking any other coaching jobs, or if he did, the amount of the new salary would reduce the amount Wake owes. So perhaps everyone comes out better if he accepts a lower total amount in exchange for it coming as one lump sum now, having no future coaching restrictions, and saving face by calling it a "retirement".

Coaching contracts/buyouts should be able to be voided for levels of under-performance or incompetence, not just NCAA violations, scandals, etc. Instead, these coaches' agents hold the AD's hands to the fire and they kowtow to their every wish (basically).

Yeah, but I would assume that getting the full contract (if it is truly "fully guaranteed" or whatever) would involve X amount of money over X amount of years, and would be dependent on not taking any other coaching jobs, or if he did, the amount of the new salary would reduce the amount Wake owes. So perhaps everyone comes out better if he accepts a lower total amount in exchange for it coming as one lump sum now, having no future coaching restrictions, and saving face by calling it a "retirement".

Sure. This could be exactly what they’re negotiating. I’m reacting to the suggestion that Manning is “raping” Wake Forest or otherwise has some moral obligation to renounce his contract.

Some people feel it is wrong to take money for a job you are incapable of doing, even if you have a contract.

Coaching contracts/buyouts should be able to be voided for levels of under-performance or incompetence, not just NCAA violations, scandals, etc. Instead, these coaches' agents hold the AD's hands to the fire and they kowtow to their every wish (basically).

Well, yeah, competent ADs put buyout clauses in contracts that are a fraction of the value of the contract. We apparently did not do that; I imagine because Wellman, in his infallibility, could not imagine one of his head coaching hires not working out, especially not after the sterling accomplishment of finishing 0.500 in conference once.

(there are some more commas for my fan club)

He still here?

He still here?

He still here?

He still here?

He still here?

He still here?

He still here?

He still here?

He still here?

He still here?

He still here?

He still here?

Why is this bastard still here? Get the hell out.

We're all grateful for your substantial contributions to our commutity

Back