• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman

This is precisely the kind of content I come to these boards to read. Bravo, sir!

The guy at Home Depot told me he cancelled the 1:30 press conference to piss off all the peons on the interweb that think they can say bad things about him.

This is precisely the kind of content I come to these boards to read. Bravo, sir!

I know this is your shtick, that we are unreasonable towards Wellman, but, I got news, if he has put us in a situation where we can't afford to fire a 0.433 coach then his judgement, and that of his supervisors, is severely compromised. That he signed Manning to a contract that, 2 years in, would still have an eight figure buyout, whether it's $12M, $18M, or somewhere between is incredibly financially irresponsible. Remember, this is a coach whose crowning achievement was a 0.500 performance in conference with the most efficient offensive player of the year.

Furthermore, if he signed Manning to that kind of contract during the 2017 off-season then I'd bet that Clawson's uber-long extension signed that same off-season has similar properties. Although, unlike Manning, Clawson hasn't fallen on his face since, signing him, when he was a 0.35 coach, to an 8 year fully guaranteed contract would also be incredibly financially irresponsible.

It's not a shtick, because I genuinely believe it. But yes, I think people on this board act unreasonably toward Wellman.

he's going to get a building or rock or bench or something named after him soon, will make for a fun pilgrimage every homecoming for alumni to pay their midnight respects

It's not a shtick, because I genuinely believe it. But yes, I think people on this board act unreasonably toward Wellman.

You genuinely believe that if you fail at the most important aspect of your job, you shouldn't be held accountable for it? If you're ever a C-level guy, please hire me.

You genuinely believe that if you fail at the most important aspect of your job, you shouldn't be held accountable for it? If you're ever a C-level guy, please hire me.
I don't believe Wellman has failed at the most important aspect of his job. The Athletic director does a lot more things than hire and fire basketball coaches

Signing a sub-0.500 basketball coach to a eight figure guarantee when no one is trying to hire him a way is negligent, true or false?

he destroyed Wake's flagship program, has cost the University millions with poor decisions, and alienated every person I know who attended Wake - how are people acting unreasonably here? Please explain

I don't believe Wellman has failed at the most important aspect of his job. The Athletic director does a lot more things than hire and fire basketball coaches

Ron Wellman has done some amazing things as AD. But, if he agreed to a contract that prevents Wake Forest from firing the basketball coach under the current circumstances, that major blunder will be the thing he's remembered for. And he has no one to blame but himself because it was completely avoidable.

Ron Wellman has done some amazing things as AD. But, if he agreed to a contract that prevents Wake Forest from firing the basketball coach under the current circumstances, that major blunder will be the thing he's remembered for. And he has no one to blame but himself because it was completely avoidable.
I don't disagree with anything you've said here.

When someone in the future says he should be in the Wake HOF, they should be laughed at and only because the other options that come to mind aren't legal in the modern era.

What he accomplished was to take a small loyal fanbase and turned it into Civil War. It's like he is both the secretary of state and the fake dr in the movie.. Here sign this contract/accord. He's your coach forever. He split the fan base. He made what could have been a family disagreement into the Hatfield and the McCoys. That's in addition to how in the hell can one get two coaches like the ones he did and give them 9 years.. It had to be intentional. Why we may never know.

But outside what he did for Lunch,
Jeff Dahmer was good guy to fix your car.

By destroying the basketball program, he has cost the university tens of millions of dollars in free publicity that helps in every aspect of the university. When a school does well, it also get more donations and applications.

Winning in non-revenue sports is cute but not important.

I know this is your shtick, that we are unreasonable towards Wellman, but, I got news, if he has put us in a situation where we can't afford to fire a 0.433 coach then his judgement, and that of his supervisors, is severely compromised. That he signed Manning to a contract that, 2 years in, would still have an eight figure buyout, whether it's $12M, $18M, or somewhere between is incredibly financially irresponsible. Remember, this is a coach whose crowning achievement was a 0.500 performance in conference with the most efficient offensive player of the year.

Furthermore, if he signed Manning to that kind of contract during the 2017 off-season then I'd bet that Clawson's uber-long extension signed that same off-season has similar properties. Although, unlike Manning, Clawson hasn't fallen on his face since, signing him, when he was a 0.35 coach, to an 8 year fully guaranteed contract would also be incredibly financially irresponsible.

This post could use a few more commas.

Back