• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Currie’s Take?

mothersodear

Reaction score
I know it’s not over ‘til the fat lady sings, but the mood here, at least, is trending toward DM being here another year.

So, did Currie know this when he took the job? Did he know he would come in and be stuck right out of the gate with an absolutely dismal flagship program? Or could he have been led to believe change was on the horizon and he would be making the decision.

Why all the “We know we have to do something about the BB program” talk? I mean, you’re NOT doing anything to fix it if DM is back.

I’m still hoping....

I know it’s not over ‘til the fat lady sings, but the mood here, at least, is trending toward DM being here another year.

So, did Currie know this when he took the job? Did he know he would come in and be stuck right out of the gate with an absolutely dismal flagship program? Or could he have been led to believe change was on the horizon and he would be making the decision.

Why all the “We know we have to do something about the BB program” talk? I mean, you’re NOT doing anything to fix it if DM is back.

I’m still hoping....

Bzd was fired on a Thursday after the tourney. Today is Tuesday.

Relax Sandy baby.

Bzd was fired on a Thursday after the tourney. Today is Tuesday.

Relax Sandy baby.

Ha! I hope you’re right.
I’m just wondering why Currie would ever knowingly agree to inherit this dumpster fire. Hopefully he wouldn’t and DM is gone.

I’m just wondering why Currie would ever knowingly agree to inherit this dumpster fire. Hopefully he wouldn’t and DM is gone.

1) Because Currie wants to work at Wake, his alma mater. He knows he can retire here like Wellman did.
2) After TN, whether deserved or not, I don't think his phone was ringing off the hook with offers.

1) Because Currie wants to work at Wake, his alma mater. He knows he can retire here like Wellman did.
2) After TN, whether deserved or not, I don't think his phone was ringing off the hook with offers.

If a moron like Wellman can work at Wake for over 20 years, Currie has to figure this is the least job interview he will ever have to give.

If a moron like Wellman can work at Wake for over 20 years, Currie has to figure this is the least job interview he will ever have to give.

Not to mention that he's replacing a guy who was one of the most well-paid AD's in the history of AD's.

If - and that's a big if - Manning stays another year I think it's actually good for Currie. Nobody puts the Manning problem on Currie anyway. And the biggest thing I think is that Currie might not see a coach that is hirable right now that he wants. I think it's entirely possible that Currie may actually want to wait another season to find his guy. It gives him more time to network the situation. And again, I think it's possible he doesn't see anyone right now that is gettable that he wants.

So the Manning thing isn't on him - even another season of Manning - and Currie gets to find THE GUY that will make or break the early part of his tenure at his alma mater. I hate to say it, but I can sort of see it from his viewpoint.

But again, I still think the hammer drops on Manning.

If - and that's a big if - Manning stays another year I think it's actually good for Currie. Nobody puts the Manning problem on Currie anyway. And the biggest thing I think is that Currie might not see a coach that is hirable right now that he wants. I think it's entirely possible that Currie may actually want to wait another season to find his guy. It gives him more time to network the situation. And again, I think it's possible he doesn't see anyone right now that is gettable that he wants.

So the Manning thing isn't on him - even another season of Manning - and Currie gets to find THE GUY that will make or break the early part of his tenure at his alma mater. I hate to say it, but I can sort of see it from his viewpoint.

Someone wanted the Currie news out in the wild before the decision was made on Manning. In your scenario, it certainly wouldn't have been Currie.

That's the thing, the Currie-replacing-Wellman-over-two-months is the perfect setup for firing Danny.

I would hope Currie's smart enough to realize he doesn't have a year to get everything lined up. Keeping Manning another year will kill whatever fan base is left.

Sadly, this is probably the case. And our best hope is waiting till the buyout becomes more tenable for a shift in paradigms.

If this buyout really is this much of an albatross, and that cunt Wellman has saddled us with failure for another 5-10 years, well, who am I kidding? I'm done if we don't get a new coach before April 5th. Thanks Ron for destroying something that meant so much to all of us alumni and fans.

I totally get what you're saying, but Manning A) never should have been extended, and certainly not with a monumentally dumb buyout and B) he should have been fired after 8 players left Wake with eligibility remaining and no better options than returning. It's that simple. Although A certainly complicates or overrides B because Wellman is really that much of a total dunce.

Currie is in this for the long haul and he hasn't even officially assumed the AD job yet. Among the lessons he learned through the TN football coaching change debacle is/was to make sure you have all your ducks in a row before information leaks about hiring a football or basketball coach. To him (as opposed to the fanbase that has suffered for the last nine years) making the right hire is far more important than making a change just to rid WF of DM. In other words, I can see Currie being OK with waiting a year before making a change unless he feels that WF has a homerun hire lined up because the last thing Currie wants is to spend his first couple of years trying to unwind another bad basketball hire in 2019.

So, hoping that Currie is working the candidates to land the home-run hire because if he doesn't get his target, I don't see a huge incentive to for him to prod WF to make a change which could result in a hiring a candidate that he is unsure about.

As a reminder regarding last firing, Ron was the head of the selection committee so it makes sense that the decision took some extra time as he was gone all week/weekend of ACCT in Indy. There isn’t anything like that this time.

The speculation that the leak by Glenn was foisted on the admin by angry BoT'ers or big-time donors like Sutton makes sense in trying to force Currie's hand.

I mean, there is still plenty of time to get a "homerun" hire, but if Currie can't even get to second base with any of the top tier, that could conceivably be the reason this has stalled out, or the sources on this board were all fed a bunch of horse manure. However, it does fit that Shaka gave us consideration and the math simply does't work or the two sides can't come to an agreement on how much UT can help with our buyout sitch. Especially if intractable Danny has dug in and said, I'm not budging on any negotiation; he probably has too much leverage. Shame on Wellman for letting that happen. And we know how stubborn Mr. "paint touches" can be!

I mean, there is still plenty of time to get a "homerun" hire, but if Currie can't even get to second base with any of the top tier, that could conceivably be the reason this has stalled out, or the sources on this board were all fed a bunch of horse manure. However, it does fit that Shaka gave us consideration and the math simply does't work or the two sides can't come to an agreement on how much UT can help with our buyout sitch. Especially if intractable Danny has dug in and said, I'm not budging on any negotiation; he probably has too much leverage. Shame on Wellman for letting that happen. And we know how stubborn Mr. "paint touches" can be!

So, Manning fucked Shaka?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!

Bullshit. Currie is the guy right now even if Wellman is playing the shield.

This is a big shit stain on Currie. He will have to become one hell of an AD to wash that out.

Back