• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Baseball’s most unbreakable season long records

Owen Wilson has the most triples?

tenor.gif

Your mom's "most players slept with" record, I'm guessing ... :)

(kidding, kidding)

They missed a few. Johnny Vanderbilt Meer pitches two consecutive no hitters. Don’t see anyone doing three in a row.

Harvey Haddix pitched 12 innings of perfect baseball Lost in the 13th inning with a weird ending.

A fielding error by third baseman Don Hoak ended the perfect game in the bottom of the 13th, with the leadoff batter for Milwaukee, Félix Mantilla, reaching first base. Mantilla later advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt by Eddie Mathews, which was followed by an intentional walk to Hank Aaron. Joe Adcock then hit an apparent home run, ending the no-hitter and the game. However, in the confusion, Aaron left the basepaths and was passed by Adcock for the second out and the Braves won 2-0. Eventually the hit was changed from a home run to a double by a ruling from National League president Warren Giles; only Mantilla's run counted, for a score of 1-0, but the Pirates and Haddix still lost.[1][6][7]

I love the Harvey Haddix game story. Always read about that one when I was a kid — it was in some book I had with like stories of that guy on the Padres who hit 5 homers in a double-header.

Your mom's "most players slept with" record, I'm guessing ... :)

(kidding, kidding)

As the son of a mom, I don't think I've ever properly thanked booradley for all the constant humorous mom posts. It's awesome that there's still one group that it's socially acceptable to laugh at the expense of in this way. It's not demeaning at all. You're a cool guy, boo.

They missed a few. Johnny Vanderbilt Meer pitches two consecutive no hitters. Don’t see anyone doing three in a row.

Harvey Haddix pitched 12 innings of perfect baseball Lost in the 13th inning with a weird ending.

A fielding error by third baseman Don Hoak ended the perfect game in the bottom of the 13th, with the leadoff batter for Milwaukee, Félix Mantilla, reaching first base. Mantilla later advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt by Eddie Mathews, which was followed by an intentional walk to Hank Aaron. Joe Adcock then hit an apparent home run, ending the no-hitter and the game. However, in the confusion, Aaron left the basepaths and was passed by Adcock for the second out and the Braves won 2-0. Eventually the hit was changed from a home run to a double by a ruling from National League president Warren Giles; only Mantilla's run counted, for a score of 1-0, but the Pirates and Haddix still lost.[1][6][7]

The article is about season long records.

Glad to see Bob Gibson get some love. From that same year you have Denny McClain winning 30 games. That doesn't count as a record but it will never be matched again.

The records discussed are those that have some possibility of being broken during the 2019 season. Breaking any of them has a very low probability.

Records that are currently unbreakable because of the way baseball is played today were not included in the list.

The record deemed "most breakable" is also a single game record - 20 strikeouts by a single pitcher.

Glad to see Bob Gibson get some love. From that same year you have Denny McClain winning 30 games. That doesn't count as a record but it will never be matched again.

As a kid I got to go to some Cardinal games in St Louis during their hey day and got to see Gibson pitch. I believe it was Game 6 I got to go to in 1967 where Gibson pitched a 5 hit shutout over the Red Sox and won 6-0. In 1968 there were 2 great stories. Gibson had the great 1.12 ERA that led to MLB lowering the mound. And it was Denny McClain getting 30 games in the AL. What a lot of folks don't realize is that Gibson's WS winning streak was broken in Game 7 of the '68 Series against Detroit, not by McClain but by Mickey Lolich. McClain had pitched so much he was a rag arm. Lolich came back on 2 days rest I believe and beat the Cards 4-1. Lolich remains the last pitcher to win 3 straight complete games in the WS.

Old Hoss Radburn's 58 wins

Wilbur Wood's 381 hits allowed

Back