• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

When one cheating school hires from another

The spin is already beginning:

Much of her final years at Chapel Hill were consumed with a conflict over a Confederate monument that many students deemed racist and wanted removed. State law protects such monuments, and in January, after Folt ordered the monument moved to storage, she was forced from the chancellor’s post.

She was chancellor for a couple of years before that state law went into effect. She also announced her resignation at the same time as ordering the monument to be moved, which only happened after there was so much uproar from her and the BoT's plans to build a multi-million dollar building to house the monument, which was perhaps the stupidest decision in this entire saga, which is saying something. They were all so proud of themselves. Her hands were tied by the legislature and the BoG, which is steadily dismembering and ruining everything, but she is terrible enough on her own and part of the new breed of college presidents/chancellors who view themselves more as CEOs than educators. Which, whatever, I guess it is all headed that way and you are running a large organization, but a lot of people have gone too far with it, in my opinion.

Anyway, her resignation was moved up a couple of months because of her ordering the monument down -- she was already gone. She could have taken a stand much earlier, but probably wanted to secure her future before doing the right/obvious thing. Everyone's in it for themselves. Higher education in the age of late capitalism. What a fucking racket.

Folt's replacement is terrible and Spellings' replacement sucks, too. They're both interim, but Roper previously held the totally, definitely not interest conflicted position of Dean of the Medical School and CEO of UNC Healthcare. Think he might have been the state's highest paid employee. He was up there. Took a pay cut and came out of retirement to take over for Spellings. Folt's replacement Guskiewicz (sp?) is the guy who first threatened the grad students over withholding grades and is generally terrible all around, too. They are doing a bang up job down here. Wake not much better, I guess. Whole thing turns me off. Everyone and everything is for sale. I guess I was naive in thinking I might be able to stomach a career in higher ed, even as a support position.

So they want to pay the adjuncts 25k (high end) a year to have them teach multiple classes, then, if, god forbid, they want to use any leverage they have because of mistreatment, they can/will be fired. Guess I need to join our fledgling union which will likely be crushed before it gets off the ground anyway, because NC.

https://www.heraldsun.com/news/local/article228244699.html

Back