• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Returning for 2019-2020 - b/c basketball decision, obvi

I don't get this. So, assume Currie was offered the AD job, but was told that unless Manning will negotiate off the buyout we have to keep him around at least one more year for financial reasons. He is supposed to turn down the job? AD job at his alma mater, in a Power 5 conference? After he was run out of town in embarrassing fashion in his last job (fair or not)? That's not realistic.

Yeah, I don't get that. He didn't make the Manning deal. I am sure he is or has been working hard to fix it, but he does not have a magic wand.

I don't get this. So, assume Currie was offered the AD job, but was told that unless Manning will negotiate off the buyout we have to keep him around at least one more year for financial reasons. He is supposed to turn down the job? AD job at his alma mater, in a Power 5 conference? After he was run out of town in embarrassing fashion in his last job (fair or not)? That's not realistic.

Like it or not, the timing of the AD change announcement gave fans a sense of hope that shit was going to change. Maybe that gave us false hope that Manning would be fired. At a minimum, it appears that Currie is falling on the sword to save Wellman's reputation. Why announce in Feb/March of an AD change if not to clean house where needed? Just wait until closer to the May 1 date. To me, it makes Currie look a little foolish, but guess it doesn't matter because he's getting paid.

Totally agree. The take on here for the last 3-10 years by many has been....Wellman has to go before we hire a new coach. He's not even gone and the replacement in-waiting is already being run out of town by some of the same people. I imagine we'll here more about these issues once Wellman is finally gone.

If I am not mistaken, the Currie announcement was pushed up due to a leak. This may have affected how the Manning situation is handled, or essentially made Currie look awkward here in the first six weeks he is not technically the AD and the AD he is replacing gave him his start.

I wouldn't worry too much on the local/state level - Currie has explicitly stated that this is a goal of his and he think he meant it. it may take 18 months to see the effect but it certainly cannot get worse. This was Wellman's worst trait IMO (behind transparency/double-speak): fan experience. Unless you are donor, I don't think he gave a shit about fan experience since the football stadium renovations.

Like it or not, the timing of the AD change announcement gave fans a sense of hope that shit was going to change. Maybe that gave us false hope that Manning would be fired. At a minimum, it appears that Currie is falling on the sword to save Wellman's reputation. Why announce in Feb/March of an AD change if not to clean house where needed? Just wait until closer to the May 1 date. To me, it makes Currie look a little foolish, but guess it doesn't matter because he's getting paid.

I think they are trying to make it look like Wellman is falling on the sword. Remember, Wellman is "in charge" until May 1st. And Wellman is absolutely the one at fault here, so the blame should be his. Currie, so far as I am concerned, gets a pass on this one.

Assuming he does come back (which I still can't even wrap my head around), what the hell does the AD say in any statement? Even if they try not to make a statement there are going to be questions asked at some point - I feel like they will be forced to say something. There is no way to make a statement that won't be a transparent, flat-out lie. It will kill recruiting and make the program even more of a laughingstock. There is no way the powers-that-be don't know this, right? Right? Manning will essentially be a lame duck for a year - killing any recruiting momentum for at least a two year cycle. Who knows how long it will take an eventual new coach to recover from that.
And my biggest fear - we keep Manning, all of our key players miraculously come back and get a little better, we add Massoud, and we win 5 or 6 more games in spite of Manning's presence - giving Currie the opportunity to make the 'improvement' pitch and keep Manning for ANOTHER year... Ugh!

Why announce in Feb/March of an AD change if not to clean house where needed? Just wait until closer to the May 1 date. To me, it makes Currie look a little foolish, but guess it doesn't matter because he's getting paid.
One reason would be to try and raise the funds TO buy out Manning. Maybe they haven't found them yet.

Assuming he does come back (which I still can't even wrap my head around), what the hell does the AD say in any statement? Even if they try not to make a statement there are going to be questions asked at some point - I feel like they will be forced to say something. There is no way to make a statement that won't be a transparent, flat-out lie. It will kill recruiting and make the program even more of a laughingstock. There is no way the powers-that-be don't know this, right? Right? Manning will essentially be a lame duck for a year - killing any recruiting momentum for at least a two year cycle. Who knows how long it will take an eventual new coach to recover from that.
And my biggest fear - we keep Manning, all of our key players miraculously come back and get a little better, we add Massoud, and we win 5 or 6 more games in spite of Manning's presence - giving Currie the opportunity to make the 'improvement' pitch and keep Manning for ANOTHER year... Ugh!

Yeah this is exactly my fear. We win one game in the CBI or something and “oh heavens yes” we are making progress...

If I am not mistaken, the Currie announcement was pushed up due to a leak. This may have affected how the Manning situation is handled, or essentially made Currie look awkward here in the first six weeks he is not technically the AD and the AD he is replacing gave him his start.

I wouldn't worry too much on the local/state level - Currie has explicitly stated that this is a goal of his and he think he meant it. it may take 18 months to see the effect but it certainly cannot get worse. This was Wellman's worst trait IMO (behind transparency/double-speak): fan experience. Unless you are donor, I don't think he gave a shit about fan experience since the football stadium renovations.

From the info we have, the Currie announcement was only pushed up a day or two due to the leak.

If true, I’m giving Currie a pass. Clearly the buyout is too big. But I’m expecting more transparency after Wellman is gone.

I'm not....day he was hired he was in this up to his neck. Why was he hired/intro'd so far in advance of May 1st ? Was out of work in some faux visiting professor Ivy League silliness and a....ahem....'consultant' for Texas. Yeah riiiiiiiiight !

Currie flamed-out where he totally botched a major coaching hire by not doing his due diligence at Tennessee. His part of the Wake news conference was chilling. The poor guy was stuttering, rushing and rambling with reading glasses flipping on and off....he was unnecessarily nervous and fidgety when he should have been most confortable in front of a 'home' crowd.

Right now I'm at best 50-50 on Currie.

So now he's home with his mentor Lord Ronnie....all cushy and fuxxy

correct

Hiring [Redacted] was a monumentally awful decision - not just with the benefit of hindsight, but right then, in the moment, it was an awful decision

Giving Manning a sixth year would be WORSE, no matter the finances; and this is not solely Wellman's decision, and lots of decision makers who have made good decisions elsewhere in life are aware of this

which is why my prediction is that Manning won't be back

I think they are trying to make it look like Wellman is falling on the sword. Remember, Wellman is "in charge" until May 1st. And Wellman is absolutely the one at fault here, so the blame should be his. Currie, so far as I am concerned, gets a pass on this one.

I think he probably should get a pass if it goes down this way, but human nature being what it is, means that the first time Wake loses to a "Houston Baptist" next year, that pass will get yanked and this will totally be Currie's problem, whether that's fair or not.

Weird how when Wellman’s retirement was leaked, assumed Currie was running things and working deals and pushing Wellman out the door.

Now people believe Currie is just twiddling his thumbs maybe showing up every few days to put a box of his stuff in a storage closet down the hall from Wellman’s office.

I don't blame Currie for taking the job, I just don't understand even the remote benefit of introducing him as AD before Manning is retained if he's going to be. Regardless of a leak, just fucking wait. It makes zero PR sense to announce him now, have Manning be retained, and then him become "acting AD" on May 1st.

Put all the blame on Ron for keeping Manning, whether the reasoning is the buyout or not. Then announce Currie and the fan base perception will be that he's coming in because Ron was incapable of running the basketball program properly.

i think we can all agree the communication on this process has been fucking spectacular

It is realistic in that he's being set up to fail. What if they won't let him fire Danny next year due to financial concerns?

Having Danny stay isn't just one lost year for the biggest program under his control, it's a minimum of two or three (and could be more) due to recruiting.

Currie is still well thought of in the industry or Texas wouldn't have had him on retainer. He would have gotten another plum job.

I don't blame Currie for taking the job, I just don't understand even the remote benefit of introducing him as AD before Manning is retained if he's going to be. Regardless of a leak, just fucking wait. It makes zero PR sense to announce him now, have Manning be retained, and then him become "acting AD" on May 1st.

Put all the blame on Ron for keeping Manning, whether the reasoning is the buyout or not. Then announce Currie and the fan base perception will be that he's coming in because Ron was incapable of running the basketball program properly.

Does it really shock anyone that the AD stepped on their own dick again when it came to a public announcement? I believe they call it an unforced error in tennis.

Ban this POS before I find out who he is and track him down. Yes, it is funny that WFU ruined both the football and basketball seasons of the cow college.

Hes' the weakest of trolls I've ever seen. He's easy to track down. He has the same username on crack ride and he posts poorly there as well. Poor fella is bad at being a troll and a state fan. Unwanted by all.

I just want to say that I'm pretty certain that Reid Morgan and the BOT got a good look at Manning's contract before it got signed.

Back