• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Returning for 2019-2020 - b/c basketball decision, obvi

As far as he Manning buyout. Everyone is focused on the $18M, so he stays another year now it's $15-16M? So our program is being held hostage over $2-3M? Sorry to say the only reason you keep him, if you are worried about the buy out, is with the hope he can have moderate support and burn through most of his contract.

Great post.

David Glenn was crushing DM in his middle hour, saying you have to have other reasons to stay with bad results. again, i say, sell your losers and end the pain, move on to another idea.

The present value of the buyout is less than whatever the total is if it’s to be paid out over 6 years. There must be a mitigation of damages clause in the contract, and if not, one will be implied by law. I’m assuming Womble Bomble lawyers prepared this contract, so it can’t be the grade school level agreement that is being rumored. If it hasn’t settled by now, the two sides need to begin a mediation tomorrow with the best mediator around and go all weekend if necessary to get this debacle over and done with.

If Wake simply cannot or will not pay Manning's buyout, what was Currie to do? Not take the job? That sounds crazy to me. It is a great, high-paying job... where you went to school! He's still a relatively young guy, and this Manning thing will be but a footnote in his career. I would easily overlook this issue if I were him.

You take the job, but you don’t agree to this nonsensical transition period. You keep your hiring under wraps until after Wellman announces Manning is staying another year.

The present value of the buyout is less than whatever the total is if it’s to be paid out over 6 years. There must be a mitigation of damages clause in the contract, and if not, one will be implied by law. I’m assuming Womble Bomble lawyers prepared this contract, so it can’t be the grade school level agreement that is being rumored. If it hasn’t settled by now, the two sides need to begin a mediation tomorrow with the best mediator around and go all weekend if necessary to get this debacle over and done with.

72821572.jpg

I am not going to put it on Currie that he has been dealt this hand, but he is going to have to play the hand, and that will be on him. I still think if I am him I am lining up the donors right now to buy Manning out. If I don't fire him May 1st, I fire him December 1st. He is in the loop with what is going on, and if he is unable to fire Manning because of the buyout, he needs to unveil that to the fanbase. Everyone knows that Manning needs to go, it is no use trying to hide that fact. The best thing Currie can do when he gets here (if Manning is still employed by Wake) is to either fire him, or come clean about why we are retaining him. If he does that he will retain his honeymoon phase. If he enters his job with more platitudes and false speech he can expect the ire of any serious Wake fan.

But I would be lobbying ever Wake contact that I have to try and get Manning out before the May 1st transition. Currie has to know he will be walking into a disaster of a fanbase if Manning is still heading the basketball program.

It would be a strong play, or potentially strong play, to publicly state that you want to but cannot fire the coach. It might force Manning to negotiate the buyout down, but you only get to play that hand one time.

You take the job, but you don’t agree to this nonsensical transition period. You keep your hiring under wraps until after Wellman announces Manning is staying another year.

The hiring was broken by David Glenn. It would seem silly to just deny the accuracy of the report for months, then take the job on May 1.

David Glenn is the lowest form of human trash alive. Not surprising that you guys listen to him like its the gospel

The hiring was broken by David Glenn. It would seem silly to just deny the accuracy of the report for months, then take the job on May 1.

It's preferable to the current situation. Say "No comment" and then story goes away after a few days.

morrison2951
Certified Superior Court Mediator

My phone hasn't rung yet.... but of course, I have a dog in the fight. :cool:

I get a guy has the chance at his dream job but it comes under tough circumstances (can't fire manning make own hire year 1 ...2??). You bite your tongue and show your support while exploring potential options if (hahaha if) you need to make a change when the time comes.

Its just tone def to walk in to this specific situation and tweet about being in texas with an ad that has a coach on a warm seat. If he did not realize the biggest fans following this stuff would make a leap... well that does not look good he missed that nuance. Its not like he's a geriatric head injured arrogant jackass that does not understand the tweeter

He was raised in the echo chamber of Wake athletics, where there are zero consequences for your actions, so of course Currie acts this way. Starting to see why he got run out of Tennessee....

(I'm mildly trolling)

if the 18 million wont do it...DR threatening to put up billboards has to be the next biggest threat of getting rid of this guy...

get a grip loser

i'm sorry, but I do think that getting rid of Manning the wrong way - with racist dog whistles being one way but not the only one - is WAY more embarrassing than going 11-20 again.

Also, it makes getting our first or second choice next year much more difficult, even with the AD change. I am convinced that the billboard stupidity five years ago was part of the reason we got our 5th choice hire as coach (or whatever it was - Manning certainly wasn't our first choice).

If you want to act like a dumbshit alumni, do it here. It's expected. As soon as you try and "shame" Manning for essentially trying to do his job, bad shit is going to happen. If back-to-back 20 loss seasons cannot get a coach canned, billboards won't either. And racist dog whistles definitely won't.

Honestly, DR's stupidity scares the shit out of me.

One possibility is that Wake is trying to avoid a repeat of the last two disasters; if you subscribe to theory that Wellman let Dino then [redacted] go without someone in place, maybe a delay makes some sense. Not saying it’s the best, just another potential explanation.

Some of you guys are way more concerned about minding your P's and Q's than winning basketball school.

Seems like maybe that is why wake has been a dumpster fire for a decade.

I'll take DR's approach over Jaybone's every day of the week.

can someone explain at a kindergarten level how a buyout works? If he's not fired for cause (I take 'for cause' doesn't include sucking at your job?) then what leverage does Wake have to reduce what is owed to Manning?

can someone explain at a kindergarten level how a buyout works? If he's not fired for cause (I take 'for cause' doesn't include sucking at your job?) then what leverage does Wake have to reduce what is owed to Manning?

To make Manning go away, you pay the man the buyout amount. Ronnie and Danny agreed to the buyout amount in the last extension. And yeah, "cause" does not equal sucking at your job in this case.

In an alternate universe, if Manning was wanted by every program in America and he left us for greener pastures, he (the next school, really) would have to pay us the buyout amount.

Some of you guys are way more concerned about minding your P's and Q's than winning basketball school.

Seems like maybe that is why wake has been a dumpster fire for a decade.

I'll take DR's approach over Jaybone's every day of the week.

Racist dog whistle language that isn't even accurate? Really? You think that is a good look for Wake Forest? The man's a dumbass. The last dumbass we had throwing around ideas made two we know of: poor kitchen cabinet selections and then the billboard. As an indirect result, we hired our 5th choice for head coach after Bzd was let go. The horrible sad truth is that Manning is a downgrade.

Why repeat the same mistake and throw in racist dog whistles to-boot?

I think the fanbase did a great job of letting it be known and heard that this is not acceptable this year to date without doing anything stupid or self-defeating. Manning did his part as well by losing 20 games instead of managing a 16-16 type of season. Fans didn't come, the Joel was quiet and mostly empty or filled with fans from the visiting team. All good.

Now, if that doesn't get Manning canned, I'm here to tell you and DR and everybody and plane flyover, a shitcan billboard, all those dumb tone deaf ideas won't cut it either. I'd rather you stack toilets on the quad. The last thing we want is to represent ourselves as haughty, white, elite, and tone-deaf stupid. Like we did 5 years ago.

Relax, Sandy baby - Currie's got this. This can break a whole bunch of different ways. Billy Donovan might even be available in about 45 days. He's once again overplayed his starters who are running out of steam and they are falling in the playoff seeding in the West. Shaka ain't done. Oats ain't done. There is time. Wellman was always going to milk this so we do exactly this. His last fuck you and power play. Honestly, it's pretty good.

I don't add much to these boards and don't add it very often, but everyone here on the boards is so pissed at this shitty situation that you have mostly all turned on each other.

It's going to be a long year on these boards unless we realize that.

Back