• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Returning for 2019-2020 - b/c basketball decision, obvi

You mean 99.9% of the fan base, including the decision makers until early in the morning Tuesday?

if that's who said he was out without a doubt - then yes.

seem to have struck a chord. i didn't call anyone in particular out. if you took offense, that's on you.

It's been stated before but needs to be repeated. If Manning is retained, the damage is done to all sports, not just basketball. The repercussions from such a decision could easily harm Clawson's program (significant loss of donations) and could result in him looking to leave.

If they keep Manning for another year, the Deacon Shop needs to put out some new gear with a bag over the Deacon's head. I'd buy the shit out of that!

It's been stated before but needs to be repeated. If Manning is retained, the damage is done to all sports, not just basketball. The repercussions from such a decision could easily harm Clawson's program (significant loss of donations) and could result in him looking to leave.

would be interesting to hear Clawson's thoughts on this. he's building tons of momentum for this program, but how much will this harm it? how close is he to Manning? it was well-known how close Grobe and Skip were, but you don't ever hear about the other coaches since.

I disagree. Seems to be enough sun-shiners and big money donors that will continue to donate and are happy with the current shit show.

My suggestion on the other board was to give the minimum that keeps your ranking in place and write on the bottom line that the rest will be forwarded upon Danny’s departure. If the big money folks do that it should happen.

For those of you throwing around the idea of a billboard or a flyover, you could get a bigger bang for your buck (i.e. more eyeballs) if you launched a paid social/PPC campaign that directed people to the Lost Decade website. Then you could target people who are actively engaging the Wake Forest brand.

if that's who said he was out without a doubt - then yes.

seem to have struck a chord. i didn't call anyone in particular out. if you took offense, that's on you.

No offense taken. Bigboy, godeacs plate and myself were 3 that were taking it to the bank he was gone, so by process of elimination I assumed I was lumped into the group. No big deal. Hopefully he's still gone

For those of you throwing around the idea of a billboard or a flyover, you could get a bigger bang for your buck (i.e. more eyeballs) if you launched a paid social/PPC campaign that directed people to the Lost Decade website. Then you could target people who are actively engaging the Wake Forest brand.

THIS x million

It'd be simple for a company to pull a list of every current and past living Wake donor and alum. Shoot banner ads to their devices for the next 2-4 weeks. that would be a measurable and results driven initiated

The Wellman/Currie transition has been handled like a clown show. A lame duck AD shouldn't be making any decisions. Currie should be publicly in charge. Period. With regard to the Manning issue, however, if there is an $18m buyout that Wake is unwilling to pay, and if Manning is playing hardball, I'm not sure what else Currie (or whoever is in charge) should be doing other than negotiating the buyout behind the scenes. Setting false deadlines doesn't help our leverage.

I don't get the hardball narrative. If someone signed a contract that said they had to pay me 18mil if fired in the next 12 months as long as didn't commit infractions or knock up my secretary, then I sit back and wait for you to pay or play me. That's not hardball. You can make offer and I will look at them. Less money for more flexibility getting work would be about the only thing though. Maybe bulk payment up front could be enticing rather than over a bunch of years.

Again, in litigation disputes where one side clearly has the insane better contract, public shaming for the upper party to behave very much is a tactic. We should own up to the contract, say that Manning refuses to leave despite reasonable offers, and jeopardize his future jobs.

Doubling down on dumb again, I see.

Again, in litigation disputes where one side clearly has the insane better contract, public shaming for the upper party to behave very much is a tactic. We should own up to the contract, say that Manning refuses to leave despite reasonable offers, and jeopardize his future jobs.

Ahh, there it is. The Wake Forest Way.

Does the BOT have ability to recoup some salary/wages from Hatch and/or Wellman for signing such a grossly negligent contract? Just mindboggling that a coach with one of the all time worse ACC records has that long of a contract signed up. Just such poor fiscal management that should be able to sue either of those men. At worse we should get a group to sue the BOT's for such gross financial negligence to allow such an oversight and that way we have an ins. co. pay out the D&O to mitigate the costs that should go back into the coffers of WF.

All of the BOT and Admin care about is bringing in money and keeping their positions. They don't want to rock the boat, and they are too gutless to stand up and make a "risky" decision. They are more than happy to keep quiet and collect checks, as they know the idiot donors will keep writing them.

How have most of you not figured out this out yet? Your university has been stolen, and is being run by people who have zero interest in actual success. Only appearances and donations.

As a lifelong townie fan it is sad to see the school I once supported whole heartedly turn into this, but I'm not an alumni, so its easier for me to ignore. If I were alumni, I'd be livid.

All of the BOT and Admin care about is bringing in money and keeping their positions. They don't want to rock the boat, and they are too gutless to stand up and make a "risky" decision. They are more than happy to keep quiet and collect checks, as they know the idiot donors will keep writing them.

How have most of you not figured out this out yet? Your university has been stolen, and is being run by people who have zero interest in actual success. Only appearances and donations.

As a lifelong townie fan it is sad to see the school I once supported whole heartedly turn into this, but I'm not an alumni, so its easier for me to ignore. If I were alumni, I'd be livid.

In what sense? Yeah the basketball situation is horrendous but football has done well, programs like soccer and tennis are elite and facilities are incredible. Wake Will campaign seems to be progressing as expected. Many of us feel very satisfied with our education and have gone on to successful and fulfilling careers. When I meet people and they ask where I went to school they usually respond with “wow that’s a great school”. The reality is that the animosity toward Hatch and the rest of the admin is completely unnoticed on a national level and has zero impact to the university’s reputation.

200.gif

when did this piece of shit information happen? for fuck's sake...

If true, I’m giving Currie a pass. Clearly the buyout is too big. But I’m expecting more transparency after Wellman is gone.

Sorry, dude. Your buddy JC is complicit in this fiasco. This issue had to have been discussed before he was hired. Regardless of the reason, if DM is retained, JC has accountability. This situation, as a whole, is worse than the UT football hire. If this is the way it was going down, the announcement of his hiring could have occurred after the decision on DM was final. By signing up when he did, he tied himself to Wellman and implicitly endorsed whatever decision was made about our basketball coach. If he joined on with idea than DM would be fired, either Wellman lied to him or they realized too late in the game that a buyout couldn’t be accomplished. If that’s the case I question his competence. Regardless of the truth - he has been been involved. He doesn’t get a pass and it’s now his mess to resolve. I wish him luck in restoring the faith of a fan base that has been repeatedly lied to and generally disregarded time and again.

It's less about the people and more about the national headline. Wake people already understand the shitshow.

It'd be simple for a company to pull a list of every current and past living Wake donor and alum. Shoot banner ads to their devices for the next 2-4 weeks. that would be a measurable and results driven initiated
That's not the way it works, at all.

Creamy, if "everyone" was saying Tuesday, down to specific time of day for the announcement, what changed? If you had a time of day from someone, surely that someone knows what went wrong.

Back