• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Returning for 2019-2020 - b/c basketball decision, obvi

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2019/mar/27/danny-manning-remain-wake-forest-season-no-6/#comments

“I know sometimes people dismiss my calmness as a lack of passion or lack of interest in making changes,” he began. “I have been around the game of basketball since childhood and I do not think lashing out emotionally solves many problems. An important part of being a leader is having the trust of your team. I tend to go overboard on keeping things internal rather than sharing things publicly, but there is no question that we need to improve. I think that will fuel our offseason. Sometimes having a chip on your shoulder and the hunger to get better can accelerate change. And we all have that passion burning in us after last season.”

What would have this year's KU team finished in the ACC? .500? Maybe?
That league is brutal but Danny will figure it out. They'll finish above .500 in the conference, land a 5 or 6 in the tournament, win the first-round game and have a shot at the second weekend. Then John Currie will know what it's like to be in the same room as greatness.

Danny has always managed himself with such class and grace. If the timing were better, and his record was stronger, he'd absolutely be the guy I'd like to have come in and clean up the cesspool now known as KU basketball.

Somewhat realistic case scenario. Hoard comes back and has a Collins type season. We get to .500 in conference and make the tournament. Kansas pays the buyout and hires Manning. Manning destroys KU hoops.

Wake hires real coach.

Somewhat realistic case scenario. Hoard comes back and has a Collins type season. We get to .500 in conference and make the tournament. Kansas pays the buyout and hires Manning. Manning destroys KU hoops.

Wake hires real coach.
Go, Go, Rock Chalk.
Lololololo

Wake hires real coach.

Hoard is NOWHERE close to John Collins. Not even in the same conversation.

I told you people we'd be a bubble team next year if everyone comes back.

If Kansas hires Danny Manning, then Ron Wellman is off the hook for being the dumbest and most incompetent AD ever.

We met a lot of Kansas fans in Vegas and every single one of them wanted Danny back either as an assistant or to replace Self. We told them to please take him.

had no idea how dumb Kansas fans are. I mean it makes sense since it's, you know, Kansas, but seems like they would have some actual basketball knowledge.

The hero worship of Manning should not be a surprise. A pretty good percentage of the WF fan base holds as a fact that Randolph Childress must be an excellent coach (because he was a legendary player), despite the fact that his only coaching experience is as an assistant on some truly awful teams.

At first I thought one of the earlier posters that said Wake basketball was like Kansas football might have a point. Then I saw just how bad Kansas football has been and for how long (8 winning seasons in 40 years), and realized I was wrong.

Furthermore, even if Wake basketball is like Kansas football, Manning sure as hell isn't our Les Miles or even David Beatty. He's some hybrid blend of Turner Gil and Charlie Weis, who got less than 5 years combined. Let's just hope that we don't spend so much money buying him out next year that we end up having to hire our David Beatty, a clearly unqualified coach who only gets the job because he will work for half the money (note - this is also known as a Brian Gregory).

had no idea how dumb Kansas fans are. I mean it makes sense since it's, you know, Kansas, but seems like they would have some actual basketball knowledge.

why would you think that? do unc fans have actual basketball knowledge?

why would you think that? do unc fans have actual basketball knowledge?

they would probably not be champing at the bit for like James Worthy or Eric Montross or Sean May to come back and coach them if they were head coaches with similar records

Danny Manning single-handedly took an ordinary Kansas team to the Natty as a player. Then after being the #1 pick in the draft and a long NBA career, DM came back to KS to work 9 more years as an assistant coach, during a time when Kansas won another Natty and continued a long-run of success.

If Tim Duncan after his NBA career returned to WF and if WF was again a national power during that time frame as an assistant and then he took the head job at Charlotte and took them to the NCAAs in his 2nd year and then took the Vandy job and struggled over 6 years, I think that Duncan would've still built enough goodwill at WF to be the fans choice if the WF job was open. Hard to understand that perspective given what WF fans have been through over the last 9 years, but I can understand why KS fans would think it's a WF issue and not a Manning issue (not saying I agree, just that I understand).

The hero worship of Manning should not be a surprise. A pretty good percentage of the WF fan base holds as a fact that Randolph Childress must be an excellent coach (because he was a legendary player), despite the fact that his only coaching experience is as an assistant on some truly awful teams.
This. So much this.

Danny Manning single-handedly took an ordinary Kansas team to the Natty as a player. Then after being the #1 pick in the draft and a long NBA career, DM came back to KS to work 9 more years as an assistant coach, during a time when Kansas won another Natty and continued a long-run of success.

If Tim Duncan after his NBA career returned to WF and if WF was again a national power during that time frame as an assistant and then he took the head job at Charlotte and took them to the NCAAs in his 2nd year and then took the Vandy job and struggled over 6 years, I think that Duncan would've still built enough goodwill at WF to be the fans choice if the WF job was open. Hard to understand that perspective given what WF fans have been through over the last 9 years, but I can understand why KS fans would think it's a WF issue and not a Manning issue (not saying I agree, just that I understand).

Only one way to find out!

I'm not surprised at KU's view on Manning at all. He let them to a national title. They more than likely view WF as the problem and not Manning.

That said, if all our players come back, including Hoard, this team should be a bubble team, not that I think Manning can lead the team anywhere in March. If Hoard leaves, we'll probably be back at the bottom of the league.

Manning will find a way to underachieve. Looking forward to possibly getting a CBI bid to play Frog Level State College.

Back