• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Returning for 2019-2020 - b/c basketball decision, obvi

In what sense? Yeah the basketball situation is horrendous but football has done well, programs like soccer and tennis are elite and facilities are incredible. Wake Will campaign seems to be progressing as expected. Many of us feel very satisfied with our education and have gone on to successful and fulfilling careers. When I meet people and they ask where I went to school they usually respond with “wow that’s a great school”. The reality is that the animosity toward Hatch and the rest of the admin is completely unnoticed on a national level and has zero impact to the university’s reputation.

You make some good points, but if you don't think this reeks of incompetence and that smell will be assumed to infect the part of the University that does not make headlines, you are mistaken.

People do not know how well the sociology department is run but they do see that the athletic department is a visible disaster with no accountability. Absent evidence to the contrary, the assumption will be that this is how Wake University runs.

In what sense? Yeah the basketball situation is horrendous but football has done well, programs like soccer and tennis are elite and facilities are incredible. Wake Will campaign seems to be progressing as expected. Many of us feel very satisfied with our education and have gone on to successful and fulfilling careers. When I meet people and they ask where I went to school they usually respond with “wow that’s a great school”. The reality is that the animosity toward Hatch and the rest of the admin is completely unnoticed on a national level and has zero impact to the university’s reputation.

This is where our perspectives differ. My prospective is local/regional, not national.

Locally the school is seen as increasingly out-of-touch and disconnected from the community (which is crazy considering how much the school and hospital have grown) which probably doesn't bother alumni who live outside the area. But it certainly does have an effect on attendance and general support of athletics. Sure Clawson has done good things recently, but football attendance is still way down from the peak Grobe years. And in my opinion that's because a lot of the former local fanbase has checked out. Mainly due to basketball, but also due to the fact the leadership of the school exudes arrogance and appears that they could care less about community engagement and PR. Wake was always the fourth Big Four school, but they local support used to be much more greater.

And they may be fine for many alumni, who would prefer to be a Boston College or Northwestern type private school. Nationally known, but very little local interest. But to the kid who grew up going to every Wake sporting event possible, its just sad.

Sorry, dude. Your buddy JC is complicit in this fiasco. This issue had to have been discussed before he was hired. Regardless of the reason, if DM is retained, JC has accountability. This situation, as a whole, is worse than the UT football hire. If this is the way it was going down, the announcement of his hiring could have occurred after the decision on DM was final. By signing up when he did, he tied himself to Wellman and implicitly endorsed whatever decision was made about our basketball coach. If he joined on with idea than DM would be fired, either Wellman lied to him or they realized too late in the game that a buyout couldn’t be accomplished. If that’s the case I question his competence. Regardless of the truth - he has been been involved. He doesn’t get a pass and it’s now his mess to resolve. I wish him luck in restoring the faith of a fan base that has been repeatedly lied to and generally disregarded time and again.

Yep. If Currie came on board knowing that Manning was getting another year, then he 100% complicit, and he can expect his own FUCK JOHN CURRIE thread very soon. However if he fires Manning on May 1, then he will be a hero.

Sorry, dude. Your buddy JC is complicit in this fiasco. This issue had to have been discussed before he was hired. Regardless of the reason, if DM is retained, JC has accountability. This situation, as a whole, is worse than the UT football hire. If this is the way it was going down, the announcement of his hiring could have occurred after the decision on DM was final. By signing up when he did, he tied himself to Wellman and implicitly endorsed whatever decision was made about our basketball coach. If he joined on with idea than DM would be fired, either Wellman lied to him or they realized too late in the game that a buyout couldn’t be accomplished. If that’s the case I question his competence. Regardless of the truth - he has been been involved. He doesn’t get a pass and it’s now his mess to resolve. I wish him luck in restoring the faith of a fan base that has been repeatedly lied to and generally disregarded time and again.

If John Currie does not step up and act, it may be time to ride him out of town like Tennessee did. Does he have the stones to make tough decisions?

IT IS TIME FOR THE AD DEPT TO LET IT BE MADE PUBLIC THEIR INTENTIONS.

I change that...it is PAST time. This is the most Mickey-Mouse, stupid, ridiculous process that I have ever seen with regards to a basketball coach.

I'm a non-alum fan and have been since I was a little kid going to Carl Tacy basketball camps. I LOVE Wake Forest...especially basketball. However, I am about a breath away from burning my WF gear and sending the charred remains in a box to the athletic dept.

Xavier has a pretty good program. Cincinnati's program can be a bit psychotic but they do have success. Why would anyone want to call themselves a fan of Wake Forest basketball when IT IS MISERABLE TO BE A FAN of Wake Forest basketball.

NOW WELLMAN. NOW CURRIE. NOW MANNING....NOW.

This is where our perspectives differ. My prospective is local/regional, not national.

Locally the school is seen as increasingly out-of-touch and disconnected from the community (which is crazy considering how much the school and hospital have grown) which probably doesn't bother alumni who live outside the area. But it certainly does have an effect on attendance and general support of athletics. Sure Clawson has done good things recently, but football attendance is still way down from the peak Grobe years. And in my opinion that's because a lot of the former local fanbase has checked out. Mainly due to basketball, but also due to the fact the leadership of the school exudes arrogance and appears that they could care less about community engagement and PR. Wake was always the fourth Big Four school, but they local support used to be much more greater.

And they may be fine for many alumni, who would prefer to be a Boston College or Northwestern type private school. Nationally known, but very little local interest. But to the kid who grew up going to every Wake sporting event possible, its just sad.

This is an excellent post.

well i for one will never trust a PE major from Bowling Green State University ever again

IT IS TIME FOR THE AD DEPT TO LET IT BE MADE PUBLIC THEIR INTENTIONS.

I change that...it is PAST time. This is the most Mickey-Mouse, stupid, ridiculous process that I have ever seen with regards to a basketball coach.

I'm a non-alum fan and have been since I was a little kid going to Carl Tacy basketball camps. I LOVE Wake Forest...especially basketball. However, I am about a breath away from burning my WF gear and sending the charred remains in a box to the athletic dept.

Xavier has a pretty good program. Cincinnati's program can be a bit psychotic but they do have success. Why would anyone want to call themselves a fan of Wake Forest basketball when IT IS MISERABLE TO BE A FAN of Wake Forest basketball.

NOW WELLMAN. NOW CURRIE. NOW MANNING....NOW.

This.

I just don't get why a definitive statement about this whole mess cannot be made. Either somebody or anybody just go yep he's gone or well yes we are going to keep the coach who has lost (20) games 3 times and (19) games 1 time in 5 years.

Just man up! Damn Wake management is such a bunch of pathetic pussies.

Are you in NC/SC? Outside of the South, people are much more likely to comment on Wake basketball than its academic reputation. Mostly along the lines of "You guys used to be really good in basketball, right? What happened?"

If Currie took the job without the power to fire Danny this month, I will have lost a lot of respect for him.

This.

I just don't get why a definitive statement about this whole mess cannot be made. Either somebody or anybody just go yep he's gone or well yes we are going to keep the coach who has lost (20) games 3 times and (19) games 1 time in 5 years.

a reasonable explanation for this is that WF hopes to come up with the means to buy him out but is not there yet

and so WF can't say anything yet, until WF determines whether or not WF will be able to do that which WF hopes to do

(not that it's reasonable that we don't have the ability to buy him out right now...just a reasonable explanation)

This.

A definitive statement would be great if there has been a definitive decision. Otherwise, what are they going to say?

Now, it would be fair to say "crap or get off the pot... make a decision already".

Im glad this is happening. Danny has done enough, especially in recruiting to warrant another year. Wake cannot afford to let him go now. The coach and team needs complete buy in from the fans

Im glad this is happening. Danny has done enough, especially in recruiting to warrant another year. Wake cannot afford to let him go now. The coach and team needs complete buy in from the fans

I know you're trolling but just fuck off already.

a reasonable explanation for this is that WF hopes to come up with the means to buy him out but is not there yet

and so WF can't say anything yet, until WF determines whether or not WF will be able to do that which WF hopes to do

(not that it's reasonable that we don't have the ability to buy him out right now...just a reasonable explanation)

How could any reasonable person not know this buyout issue was coming? We lost to Houston Baptist team that finished 12 and 18 for 7th place in the Southland Conference 4 months ago. They should have been more than prepared by now.

Back