• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Returning for 2019-2020 - b/c basketball decision, obvi

If there have truly been efforts by this inept AD to oust Manning but now there simply is not enough money to buy him out, think of where that leaves the program for the next 12+ months.

You have a coach who knows his administration doesn't want him and very well might retaliate with spiteful behavior. Very possible.
Any recruit with an IQ above 80 will not set foot on the Wake campus
The fan-base will be absolutely non-existent and the team will likely play in front of hundreds of people (maybe)
Dissension will most certainly take over with assistants and any players who choose to remain
The possibility of hiring any decent candidate, given this complete fiasco, is probably nil

Perhaps there have been no backroom efforts to remove Manning. If that's the case, then it signals even BIGGER problems of an athletic department that is totally dysfunctional.

In either case, this is a no-win situation for alums and fans.

This like telling your spouse you want a divorce only to learn it will cost you too much and now you sleep in the car every night

a reasonable explanation for this is that WF hopes to come up with the means to buy him out but is not there yet

and so WF can't say anything yet, until WF determines whether or not WF will be able to do that which WF hopes to do

(not that it's reasonable that we don't have the ability to buy him out right now...just a reasonable explanation)

There may also be some behind the scenes negotiations with potential hires. Some of those could seem to be more benign if Wake has a coach under long term contract, and not a coaching vacancy.

The Currie, Wellman, Hatch, "big donors" interactions may also play a role. Wake may have the resources to pay the buyout. That doesn't mean all that money is just sitting in a pile somewhere.

How could any reasonable person not know this buyout issue was coming? We lost to Houston Baptist team that finished 12 and 18 for 7th place in the Southland Conference 4 months ago. They should have been more than prepared by now.

that's why I added that it's not reasonable that we don't have the ability to buy him out right now

I will agree that if the decision had been made to bring him back, it would have been announced by now. I don't think that the converse is true, necessarily. But the most likely explanation is that there are ongoing discussions.

As other have said, why couldn't those discussions have been finalized between December and the end of the regular season? Your guess is as good as mine.

Last night I attended a fundraiser for the Wake Forest Women's golf team at Sedgefield CC. It was hosted and paid for by a Wake grad and it was first class. Former Coach Daily was there as well as the new Coach and players. The purpose was to raise money for the women's golf team only. There were about 60 folks there most either Wake alums or fans of the program. Age range was from early 30's to over 75 and there were many there who were at a high level in the Deacon Club.

I made it a point to speak with almost everyone in the room and there was not one person who had even lukewarm support for Manning. In fact most couldn't even believe he was still employed. There was even someone who I know well from the ACC there who asked me if I knew any reason why he was still around. The Deacon Club rep there in his speech made a point of letting us all know that our donations would go directly to the golf program and no other sports. He said this because he was asked directly which told me Wake BB was the elephant in the room.

I post because this was a cross section of 3 generations of Wake supporters who all have enough money to come to a Women's golf fundraiser. I just can't imagine with the overwhelming lack of support for DM from this group doesn't offer some type of snapshot into a greater sample. If we end up keeping Danny then I think we'll kill the spirit of a huge portion of our fanbase and likely make our opening next year poison.

Lastly if you keep Danny the public spin from the AD will not be contract but that they've discussed goals with Danny and expect to see results next year and we look forward to Danny competing for Championships for a long time. If Wellman gives this speech his legacy will be leaving once again lying to our fanbase and saying he never cared what we thought. If Currie delivers this lie he'll demonstrate that as an AD he's just another Wellman and for this I will not give him a pass.

Im glad this is happening. Danny has done enough, especially in recruiting to warrant another year. Wake cannot afford to let him go now. The coach and team needs complete buy in from the fans

On the old board, this dipshit would get a pat on the back from turftoega after he warned, reprimanded, suspended, and banned at least ten of our posters on this thread alone.

This is where our perspectives differ. My prospective is local/regional, not national.

Locally the school is seen as increasingly out-of-touch and disconnected from the community (which is crazy considering how much the school and hospital have grown) which probably doesn't bother alumni who live outside the area. But it certainly does have an effect on attendance and general support of athletics. Sure Clawson has done good things recently, but football attendance is still way down from the peak Grobe years. And in my opinion that's because a lot of the former local fanbase has checked out. Mainly due to basketball, but also due to the fact the leadership of the school exudes arrogance and appears that they could care less about community engagement and PR. Wake was always the fourth Big Four school, but they local support used to be much more greater.

And they may be fine for many alumni, who would prefer to be a Boston College or Northwestern type private school. Nationally known, but very little local interest. But to the kid who grew up going to every Wake sporting event possible, its just sad.

As someone who chose Wake over a bunch of similarly ranked NE academic schools because of the sports, I second this. Sports were a huge part of my college experience. They helped make it special and they are my (and my friends) link back as alums to the school. They are losing people like us and as the school becomes more and more concerned with a national presence, you think they’d want people to feel connected going forward.

If there have truly been efforts by this inept AD to oust Manning but now there simply is not enough money to buy him out, think of where that leaves the program for the next 12+ months.

You have a coach who knows his administration doesn't want him and very well might retaliate with spiteful behavior. Very possible.
Any recruit with an IQ above 80 will not set foot on the Wake campus
The fan-base will be absolutely non-existent and the team will likely play in front of hundreds of people (maybe)
Dissension will most certainly take over with assistants and any players who choose to remain
The possibility of hiring any decent candidate, given this complete fiasco, is probably nil

Perhaps there have been no backroom efforts to remove Manning. If that's the case, then it signals even BIGGER problems of an athletic department that is totally dysfunctional.

In either case, this is a no-win situation for alums and fans.

This like telling your spouse you want a divorce only to learn it will cost you too much and now you sleep in the car every night

Yep to all of this (maybe even the sleeping in the car part?). At some point DM has to know this as well - who wants to endure a miserable/lame duck season while cratering your coaching rep even more?

This buyout anxiety is just ridiculous. Cut your fucking losses. If 20 million bucks is going to put us out of business we just need to get the fuck out .

Last night I attended a fundraiser for the Wake Forest Women's golf team at Sedgefield CC. It was hosted and paid for by a Wake grad and it was first class. Former Coach Daily was there as well as the new Coach and players. The purpose was to raise money for the women's golf team only. There were about 60 folks there most either Wake alums or fans of the program. Age range was from early 30's to over 75 and there were many there who were at a high level in the Deacon Club.

I made it a point to speak with almost everyone in the room and there was not one person who had even lukewarm support for Manning. In fact most couldn't even believe he was still employed. There was even someone who I know well from the ACC there who asked me if I knew any reason why he was still around. The Deacon Club rep there in his speech made a point of letting us all know that our donations would go directly to the golf program and no other sports. He said this because he was asked directly which told me Wake BB was the elephant in the room.

I post because this was a cross section of 3 generations of Wake supporters who all have enough money to come to a Women's golf fundraiser. I just can't imagine with the overwhelming lack of support for DM from this group doesn't offer some type of snapshot into a greater sample. If we end up keeping Danny then I think we'll kill the spirit of a huge portion of our fanbase and likely make our opening next year poison.

Lastly if you keep Danny the public spin from the AD will not be contract but that they've discussed goals with Danny and expect to see results next year and we look forward to Danny competing for Championships for a long time. If Wellman gives this speech his legacy will be leaving once again lying to our fanbase and saying he never cared what we thought. If Currie delivers this lie he'll demonstrate that as an AD he's just another Wellman and for this I will not give him a pass.

Can't imagine how anyone could look at the results of DM's tenure and not conclude a change needs to be made. My deepest, darkest fear is that there will be no announcement. Why do you need to announce that your head coach is coming back? NC State isn't announcing that Keats is coming back. All that does is admit weakness and implies there are problems. Wellman won't do that.

Odds on nothing being said at all are mounting every hour this travesty goes on.

Im glad this is happening. Danny has done enough, especially in recruiting to warrant another year. Wake cannot afford to let him go now. The coach and team needs complete buy in from the fans

Not sure if this is a bad parody - or a legit NCSU troll. Either way, it's kind of funny that Danny Manning is probably the main reason that State didn't get into the NCAA tourney this year.

In what sense? Yeah the basketball situation is horrendous but football has done well, programs like soccer and tennis are elite and facilities are incredible. Wake Will campaign seems to be progressing as expected. Many of us feel very satisfied with our education and have gone on to successful and fulfilling careers. When I meet people and they ask where I went to school they usually respond with “wow that’s a great school”. The reality is that the animosity toward Hatch and the rest of the admin is completely unnoticed on a national level and has zero impact to the university’s reputation.

This is not really a response to his core criticisms of the wf administration being out of touch with the local community and the experience so many had as students there. The school is undergoing fundamental change and has been for years. Ronnie is just the symptom of the core issues.

Like brasky I'm not an alumnus but my dad is and i grew up on wake sports and an understanding of how wake was different. I'll miss wake bball but i'll miss sharing our love of it with my dad and not being able to bring my kids into the fun as well. We still have plenty to bond over but once gone the interest is not likely to return. My kids are gone. Likely for good. I'm close. Might be able to drag my dad back someday but he'll never get to watch a game with his grand kids.

The new wf way up top sure looks to have become arrogance, complacency, appearance, and status. The top administrators and donors have really done fundamental change and far too many were not paying attention while it happened.

The transition from ronnie and hatch to whatever comes next will be interesting but I'm not sure how many will still be around to remember what wake was.*

*I'm aware its not just wake dealing with dramatic changes in the purpose of "higher education."

I will agree that if the decision had been made to bring him back, it would have been announced by now. I don't think that the converse is true, necessarily. But the most likely explanation is that there are ongoing discussions.

As other have said, why couldn't those discussions have been finalized between December and the end of the regular season? Your guess is as good as mine.

It's possible Danny and his people were unwilling to discuss it until the season is over.

Yep. If Currie came on board knowing that Manning was getting another year, then he 100% complicit, and he can expect his own FUCK JOHN CURRIE thread very soon. However if he fires Manning on May 1, then he will be a hero.
That's kind of ridiculous. The ONLY reason Manning would be retained is that they don't have the money to pay an outrageous buyout set up by Wellman. How is that Currie's fault? Panicking appears to be the new Wake Forest Way.

Not sure if this is a bad parody - or a legit NCSU troll. Either way, it's kind of funny that Danny Manning is probably the main reason that State didn't get into the NCAA tourney this year.

Wake basketball has become the equivalent of scheduling a good FCS football team or App. A lose/lose proposition for our opponents - a win against wake is meaningless because you’re supposed to win but if you lose to us it’s a season killer. Bad news for state is they have to play us twice a year.

I don't get this. So, assume Currie was offered the AD job, but was told that unless Manning will negotiate off the buyout we have to keep him around at least one more year for financial reasons. He is supposed to turn down the job? AD job at his alma mater, in a Power 5 conference? After he was run out of town in embarrassing fashion in his last job (fair or not)? That's not realistic.

Back