• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Returning for 2019-2020 - b/c basketball decision, obvi

It's amazing to me that Ron gave Danny an $18 million fully guaranteed buyout when there were no potential suitors trying to take him away. Like, why? I'd understand if he was having insane success at Wake and we were afraid a bigger school would poach him, but that wasn't even remotely the case.

Moreover, DM lost leverage when WF lost the 4 early season games last year before the contract was signed. This message board was calling for DM to be fired and recruits had not yet signed LOIs. Most people thought the contract was announced to save the recruits from de-committing, and probably contained language protecting WF with a cheap buyout.

Moreover, DM lost leverage when WF lost the 4 early season games last year before the contract was signed. This message board was calling for DM to be fired and recruits had not yet signed LOIs. Most people thought the contract was announced to save the recruits from de-committing, and probably contained language protecting WF with a cheap buyout.

I think the contract was probably already signed at that point, and Wellman was hoping for a strong start against a really easy schedule in order to announce it with great fanfare. Instead, Danny fell on his face, and it was announced with a whimper.

I think Ron knew very early on that it was a bad deal - hence why the duration was not announced but was leaked (probably by Danny's agent).

Currie looks weak in agreeing to the early announcement and "transition" period when he knew the Manning situation was going to be controversial. If he knew that Manning was going to be kept, weak turns into dumb. And if he didn't get a straight answer on Manning before he took the job, he is unprepared.\

Not a good look for Currie in any case.

He is weak for agreeing to the "early" announcement? I thought we wanted transparency. Maybe he didn't need to be a little chicken shit and hide behind Wellman. I don't know the guy but none of this reflects on him beyond wanting to have the job.

Damn. This thread is making me feel like Lectro is right. Wake puts out a bunch whiny idiots.

There is justified angst to target at the AD and Wellman. That ain't Currie.

Like Arnold Schwarzenegger, Danny is likely saying 'I'll be back'

Danny is getting big boy money for coaching a big boy game that makes billions for the ncaa and its member institutions on the back of college kids getting an overpriced education. Danny has graduated 1 player. Think about that. Now consider that again. He blames kids in press conferences and never accepts blame. Think about that carefully. He teaches kids to place blame elsewhere.

He deserves to be terminated of his coaching duties. Ronnie deserves to be tarred and feathered for offering that buy out. Anyone that signed off on it is dumb and should be removed from official wf responsibilities.

Tons of white people and coaches are dumb and lazy. Anyone who has watched DM coach 5 games and listen to 5 of his post games can easily see he is dumb as a rock. The lazy comes from his mannerisms and lack of a go-getter personality. He’s loaded and a hero in Kansas. He isn’t driven to succeed like a young, hungry coach. And btw, nobody calls Shaka dumb.
I dont think Danny is dumb. He is really bad at his job and simply lacks the desire and ability to get better.

He is weak for agreeing to the "early" announcement? I thought we wanted transparency. Maybe he didn't need to be a little chicken shit and hide behind Wellman. I don't know the guy but none of this reflects on him beyond wanting to have the job.

Damn. This thread is making me feel like Lectro is right. Wake puts out a bunch whiny idiots.

There is justified angst to target at the AD and Wellman. That ain't Currie.

I’m admittedly filled with angst because I so badly want Wake to be competitive again. I have the age advantage of having seen GREAT Wake teams, so I know it’s possible. Currie did not create this situation (and we don’t really even know any specifics of what exactly our situation is beyond ogboards speculation.) I hope Currie’s reputation as AD isn’t sullied by Wellman’s poison.

Still no news? Woof, tomorrow feels huge.

Maybe we hired the Bobs who prefer to do their firings on a Friday

giphy.gif

I wonder if Currie has overcome a WiFi outage to message Jason King and ask for help on the PR front because our people are wacko. ;)

I dont think Danny is dumb. He is really bad at his job and simply lacks the desire and ability to get better.

You better watch it, buddy. You are treading on some pretty murky ground. Lack of desire to better himself? Sounds pretty racist. You got some white robes in your closet?

You better watch it, buddy. You are treading on some pretty murky ground. Lack of desire to better himself? Sounds pretty racist. You got some white robes in your closet?
You got me. Me and Clayton Bigsby.

JC's trolling us...right?

At this point, Wake is of no consequence to the rest of the college basketball world. They aren't paying attention yet.

Back