• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Returning for 2019-2020 - b/c basketball decision, obvi

I know this wasn't addressed to me, but no. However, it does make it look like a continuation of the status quo. So much for change. Maybe it will happen under Currie, but we'll all have to wait another fucking year.

Has anyone considered the possibility that Wellman and Currie are keeping Manning and "passing the buck" by requiring that he terminate the majority of his coaching staff?

It would not surprise me that they would take this chicken-crap approach and fire Woodberry and Bauman to somehow use this as an excuse to keep Mannequin for another year. It has been done before at other schools. At this point I would not put anything past this crowd!

I still think DM is out and am not going to change my mind because some arbitrary Tuesday deadline set by message board posters has been missed. There is absolutely zero reason to keep DM if Wellman is going to step down. Even steep buyouts can be negotiated. Don’t have to pay them in lump sums it that’s the concern.

But if the buyout is an issue, and certainly if it is enough of an issue to retain him or make firing him difficult, then not only does RW need to go, but so does Hatch and whoever signed off on such an idiotic contract in the BOT.
My guess is they believe they have time to execute the move and are willing to seek the funds from donors before committing money from the department...while negotiating the terms. Currie was brought in to raise funds for the move IMO.

Danny expected back per Jason King of Bleacher Report

It’s happening:

Beginning to agree with this.

Yunno, I'm trying to think of another case when a ( supposed ) major program was unable to fire it's head coach because said coach was - incredibly - given an extention and multi-year guaranteed money as a reward for a 19-13 season and a PIG berth.

Anyone ?

Keep in mind the timing of the extension as well: November 26, 2017, Wake was 2-4 on the way to 11-20 (4-14) season.

1 Fri, Nov 10, 2017 7:30p REG Georgia Southern L 83 85
2 Tue, Nov 14, 2017 7:30p REG Liberty L 66 79
3 Fri, Nov 17, 2017 8:30p REG N Drake L 74 77
4 Sat, Nov 18, 2017 2:30p REG N Quinnipiac W 72 55
5 Sun, Nov 19, 2017 2:30p REG N Houston L 73 78
6 Fri, Nov 24, 2017 7:00p REG UNCG W 81 75

Tone def? Currie was supposed to tell one of his soon-to-be former clients, "No, I can't come to the going away gathering you want me to attend. It would bother all the LOWF fans I'll need to appease at my new job." Not to mention, it's in his best interest and Wake's to remain on good terms with folks in the AD world. It's not like it's a huge professional field.

The tweet was tone deaf not the visit.

Keep in mind the timing of the extension as well: November 26, 2017, Wake was 2-4 on the way to 11-20 (4-14) season.

Yeah and it's not like we had some great season in 2017 either. We were 19-14, finished 10th in the ACC and barely made the NCAA tournament and apparently Ron Wellman thought that good enough to offer Manning an extension and raise, so punitive to Wake Forest, we can't afford to get out of 2 years later when almost any other school would've already fired such a sorry coach. Ron Wellman should be sued for giving Manning that deal.

With the Manning as the most current example, WF provides more job security than just about every other Power V school. Currie will be given decades (plural) to run the athletic department absent a scandal that is traced directly to him. Wellman is universally criticized among WF fans, donors and alumni, and he kept the AD job for 25 years until he was close to 70. Currie is not going to get run out of WF if Manning stays another year and Clawson leaves. Understand the audience.

Correct. He's pretty well set regardless of what happens.

What was wrong with the tweet?

It fed the Shaka rumors. Also there’s not much of a need for a new AD to tweet fondly about his former short term employer.

Correct. He's pretty well set regardless of what happens.

Pilch's comment is nonsensical in that Currie doesn't have fifteen years of basketball success, multiple national championships, multiple bowl games and tens of millions raised to buffer his bball failure and losing an historic Wake football coach.

As badly as Wellman has fucked up, he had a defense. Currie doesn't.

Not having power or title yet is a pretty good defense.

Sorry, dude. Your buddy JC is complicit in this fiasco. This issue had to have been discussed before he was hired. Regardless of the reason, if DM is retained, JC has accountability. This situation, as a whole, is worse than the UT football hire. If this is the way it was going down, the announcement of his hiring could have occurred after the decision on DM was final. By signing up when he did, he tied himself to Wellman and implicitly endorsed whatever decision was made about our basketball coach. If he joined on with idea than DM would be fired, either Wellman lied to him or they realized too late in the game that a buyout couldn’t be accomplished. If that’s the case I question his competence. Regardless of the truth - he has been been involved. He doesn’t get a pass and it’s now his mess to resolve. I wish him luck in restoring the faith of a fan base that has been repeatedly lied to and generally disregarded time and again.

This is just such a dumb take. This is not on Currie. He isn't even in the job yet. Even if it were discussed and he was told Manning would still be here when he starts, what do you expect of a loyal grad? Should he just turn his back on the school? If he wants to make a difference, he accepts the position with a passion to correct the situation when he is in charge. You don't go into a job interview telling them who you are going to fire without knowing all the details.
Where is Wake if he turns the job down because of Manning? Looking for someone likely less qualified than him to take over. That doesn't help us.

It fed the Shaka rumors. Also there’s not much of a need for a new AD to tweet fondly about his former short term employer.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

He's showing off his connections with the richest, most powerful AD in the country. Not long ago we were praising his social media presence including that tweet.

Pilch's comment is nonsensical in that Currie doesn't have fifteen years of basketball success, multiple national championships, multiple bowl games and tens of millions raised to buffer his bball failure and losing an historic Wake football coach.

As badly as Wellman has fucked up, he had a defense. Currie doesn't.

You are one dumb MF'er.

Exhibit A on why not Wes Miller

Back