• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Returning for 2019-2020 - b/c basketball decision, obvi

Also, I think we shoud burn Jason King in effigy on The Quad.

IT IS TIME FOR THE AD DEPT TO LET IT BE MADE PUBLIC THEIR INTENTIONS.

I change that...it is PAST time. This is the most Mickey-Mouse, stupid, ridiculous process that I have ever seen with regards to a basketball coach.

And it has been a Mickey-Mouse process for years! :rulz:

It is realistic in that he's being set up to fail. What if they won't let him fire Danny next year due to financial concerns?

Having Danny stay isn't just one lost year for the biggest program under his control, it's a minimum of two or three (and could be more) due to recruiting.

Currie is still well thought of in the industry or Texas wouldn't have had him on retainer. He would have gotten another plum job.

Again, you think he should have turned down the AD job at his alma mater because he can't immediately fire the basketball coach?

Again, you think he should have turned down the AD job at his alma mater because he can't immediately fire the basketball coach?

Would you take an executive job where your top manager was grossly under performing and overpaid and you had no way to hire your own person?

I get the point, but what kind of negotiation would that have been? I also realize we need to hold judgement on the guy until things actually do shake out and that right now it's a lot of doom saying and hand wrinhing, but I personally become wary when we have a guy who may willingly give up his autonomy to defer to a lame duck predecessor over the health of the most visible program on my watch.

I know this wasn't addressed to me, but no. However, it does make it look like a continuation of the status quo. So much for change. Maybe it will happen under Currie, but we'll all have to wait another fucking year.

I still think DM is out and am not going to change my mind because some arbitrary Tuesday deadline set by message board posters has been missed. There is absolutely zero reason to keep DM if Wellman is going to step down. Even steep buyouts can be negotiated. Don’t have to pay them in lump sums it that’s the concern.

But if the buyout is an issue, and certainly if it is enough of an issue to retain him or make firing him difficult, then not only does RW need to go, but so does Hatch and whoever signed off on such an idiotic contract in the BOT.

Why the hell do we keep putting these big buyouts into our basketball contracts (first Guadio and then manning). I can't remember a Wake coach leaving for a better job, where we benefited from the buyout and the recruits don't go to a school because the coach has a 8 year, fully guaranteed contract. It is bad enough RW gave manning an extension after 1 barely success year - even though no one was knocking down the door, trying to steal him away. Makes no sense.

It's time to just deal with it. We're Wake fans and this is what we do, we suffer. Manning will eventually be fired and we'll all have something to get excited about, but in the short term, someone has made a determination that the cost to fire and replace is too much. We'll all be back here next year for another round of this crap.

Maybe Manning will catch lightning in a bottle but more likely the buyout will be less and we'll move on to someone else.

I don't blame Currie for this mess, but the photos at Texas were really tone def and he really just looks ineffective in his first month. That said, if he retains Clawson and in 12 months hires a good basketball coach we'll all forgive him.

Unless he got a fully guaranteed, 10 year contract, he should have.

If either the football program doesn't continue its success or Clawson moves on, Currie could be totally screwed.

Here's a question- If he's barred from firing Danny due to a $10-18M buyout, why can't he be barred from doing the same thing when it's $9-15M?

As young as he is and as well as he has done, he would very likely get another P5 job, but if he comes to Wake and fails he's done on this level.

It still makes no sense that we would keep Manning beyond this season. None whatsoever, buyout or not. And he he has the reported buyout, Wellman should indemnify Wake for it.

Unless he got a fully guaranteed, 10 year contract, he should have.

If either the football program doesn't continue its success or Clawson moves on, Currie could be totally screwed.

Here's a question- If he's barred from firing Danny due to a $10-18M buyout, why can't he be barred from doing the same thing when it's $9-15M?

As young as he is and as well as he has done, he would very likely get another P5 job, but if he comes to Wake and fails he's done on this level.

With the Manning as the most current example, WF provides more job security than just about every other Power V school. Currie will be given decades (plural) to run the athletic department absent a scandal that is traced directly to him. Wellman is universally criticized among WF fans, donors and alumni, and he kept the AD job for 25 years until he was close to 70. Currie is not going to get run out of WF if Manning stays another year and Clawson leaves. Understand the audience.

It's time to just deal with it. We're Wake fans and this is what we do, we suffer. Manning will eventually be fired and we'll all have something to get excited about, but in the short term, someone has made a determination that the cost to fire and replace is too much. We'll all be back here next year for another round of this crap.

QUOTE]

Not all of us.

Weird how when Wellman’s retirement was leaked, assumed Currie was running things and working deals and pushing Wellman out the door.

Now people believe Currie is just twiddling his thumbs maybe showing up every few days to put a box of his stuff in a storage closet down the hall from Wellman’s office.

I think the buyout is too high (if Manning stays) and the AD is letting Ron appear to fall on the sword. Currie is I’m sure running things. If we can’t buyout Danny, keeping Ron around let’s some blame fall on him.

Maybe Manning will catch lightning in a bottle but more likely the buyout will be less and we'll move on to someone else.

I don't blame Currie for this mess, but the photos at Texas were really tone def and he really just looks ineffective in his first month. That said, if he retains Clawson and in 12 months hires a good basketball coach we'll all forgive him.

Tone def? Currie was supposed to tell one of his soon-to-be former clients, "No, I can't come to the going away gathering you want me to attend. It would bother all the LOWF fans I'll need to appease at my new job." Not to mention, it's in his best interest and Wake's to remain on good terms with folks in the AD world. It's not like it's a huge professional field.

With the Manning as the most current example, WF provides more job security than just about every other Power V school. Currie will be given decades (plural) to run the athletic department absent a scandal that is traced directly to him. Wellman is universally criticized among WF fans, donors and alumni, and he kept the AD job for 25 years until he was close to 70. Currie is not going to get run out of WF if Manning stays another year and Clawson leaves. Understand the audience.

Wellman had fifteen years of basketball success, won an ACC football title, went to a bunch of bowl games, won national championships in non-revenue sports and raised tens of millions of dollars BEFORE destroying the basketball program. You get some leeway when you do the good stuff first.

Being made to keep a failed coach and keeping our bball down for 2-4 years and losing an excellent football coach without the positive history will give Currie no cover.

Once again you don't understand the context about which you post.

I still think DM is out and am not going to change my mind because some arbitrary Tuesday deadline set by message board posters has been missed. There is absolutely zero reason to keep DM if Wellman is going to step down. Even steep buyouts can be negotiated. Don’t have to pay them in lump sums it that’s the concern.

But if the buyout is an issue, and certainly if it is enough of an issue to retain him or make firing him difficult, then not only does RW need to go, but so does Hatch and whoever signed off on such an idiotic contract in the BOT.

Beginning to agree with this.

Yunno, I'm trying to think of another case when a ( supposed ) major program was unable to fire it's head coach because said coach was - incredibly - given an extention and multi-year guaranteed money as a reward for a 19-13 season and a PIG berth.

Anyone ?

Back