• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Returning for 2019-2020 - b/c basketball decision, obvi

Starting to feel sorry for Danny if retained. He's got thicker skin than Bzd for sure, but he's a Dead Man Walking AND I fear the fanbase/alumni over the next year.

donaldross is just stupid enough and rich enough to pony up for some billboard or equivalent that will shame us all. His dog whistle bullshit he doesn't seem to understand or chooses to blissfully ignore. The risk is simply not worth it. Buy the man out and put us all out of our misery.

if the 18 million wont do it...DR threatening to put up billboards has to be the next biggest threat of getting rid of this guy...

get a grip loser

Keep in mind the timing of the extension as well: November 26, 2017, Wake was 2-4 on the way to 11-20 (4-14) season.

1 Fri, Nov 10, 2017 7:30p REG Georgia Southern L 83 85
2 Tue, Nov 14, 2017 7:30p REG Liberty L 66 79
3 Fri, Nov 17, 2017 8:30p REG N Drake L 74 77
4 Sat, Nov 18, 2017 2:30p REG N Quinnipiac W 72 55
5 Sun, Nov 19, 2017 2:30p REG N Houston L 73 78
6 Fri, Nov 24, 2017 7:00p REG UNCG W 81 75

Someone with the time and will to do it should rank our top 20 worst losses over the last 10 years. Would be a hell of a list.

Drake, Stetson and Houston Baptist will be hard to top

This is just such a dumb take. This is not on Currie. He isn't even in the job yet. Even if it were discussed and he was told Manning would still be here when he starts, what do you expect of a loyal grad? Should he just turn his back on the school? If he wants to make a difference, he accepts the position with a passion to correct the situation when he is in charge. You don't go into a job interview telling them who you are going to fire without knowing all the details.
Where is Wake if he turns the job down because of Manning? Looking for someone likely less qualified than him to take over. That doesn't help us.

Currie looks weak in agreeing to the early announcement and "transition" period when he knew the Manning situation was going to be controversial. If he knew that Manning was going to be kept, weak turns into dumb. And if he didn't get a straight answer on Manning before he took the job, he is unprepared.\

Not a good look for Currie in any case.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

He's showing off his connections with the richest, most powerful AD in the country. Not long ago we were praising his social media presence including that tweet.

Because people thought he was dealing for Shaka.

The Joel being even emptier than it was this past season will be a good lesson learned.

I couldn't imagine anyone supporting this.

Currie looks weak in agreeing to the early announcement and "transition" period when he knew the Manning situation was going to be controversial. If he knew that Manning was going to be kept, weak turns into dumb. And if he didn't get a straight answer on Manning before he took the job, he is unprepared.\

Agreed.

As far as he Manning buyout. Everyone is focused on the $18M, so he stays another year now it's $15-16M? So our program is being held hostage over $2-3M? Sorry to say the only reason you keep him, if you are worried about the buy out, is with the hope he can have moderate support and burn through most of his contract.

If Wake simply cannot or will not pay Manning's buyout, what was Currie to do? Not take the job? That sounds crazy to me. It is a great, high-paying job... where you went to school! He's still a relatively young guy, and this Manning thing will be but a footnote in his career. I would easily overlook this issue if I were him.

I get a guy has the chance at his dream job but it comes under tough circumstances (can't fire manning make own hire year 1 ...2??). You bite your tongue and show your support while exploring potential options if (hahaha if) you need to make a change when the time comes.

Its just tone def to walk in to this specific situation and tweet about being in texas with an ad that has a coach on a warm seat. If he did not realize the biggest fans following this stuff would make a leap... well that does not look good he missed that nuance. Its not like he's a geriatric head injured arrogant jackass that does not understand the tweeter

I don't get this. So, assume Currie was offered the AD job, but was told that unless Manning will negotiate off the buyout we have to keep him around at least one more year for financial reasons. He is supposed to turn down the job? AD job at his alma mater, in a Power 5 conference? After he was run out of town in embarrassing fashion in his last job (fair or not)? That's not realistic.

I am not going to put it on Currie that he has been dealt this hand, but he is going to have to play the hand, and that will be on him. I still think if I am him I am lining up the donors right now to buy Manning out. If I don't fire him May 1st, I fire him December 1st. He is in the loop with what is going on, and if he is unable to fire Manning because of the buyout, he needs to unveil that to the fanbase. Everyone knows that Manning needs to go, it is no use trying to hide that fact. The best thing Currie can do when he gets here (if Manning is still employed by Wake) is to either fire him, or come clean about why we are retaining him. If he does that he will retain his honeymoon phase. If he enters his job with more platitudes and false speech he can expect the ire of any serious Wake fan.

But I would be lobbying ever Wake contact that I have to try and get Manning out before the May 1st transition. Currie has to know he will be walking into a disaster of a fanbase if Manning is still heading the basketball program.

Back