• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAAT discussion (the end)

I would say Wake had a much better record of success in 90s and 00s before the Bzzz disaster as we had a # of #1 and #2 seeds during those 20 years and don't think UVA had many, if any, that I remember except for maybe Bryant Stith era as Jeff Jones and Pete Gillen made very little noise? UVA was going down with Leitao before Bennett completely turned them around. We actually seemed to be in an upward trajectory with #1 ranking in Dino's last year before [ ] happened and a program was destroyed.

were wake/uva on about equal ground historically before they hired bennett and we hired bz?

UVa had 1 ACC title, 2 NIT titles and 3 Final Fours prior to Bennett. Wake Had 4 ACC titles, 1 NIT title & 1 Final Four prior to BZZZZZZZZ

I think UVA was picked to finish dead last in the ACC after losing a bunch of players and ended up as the #1 overall seed last year.

Can’t say for sure without looking it up but there’s no way UVA was picked to finish last by anybody before last season started. They were coming off a 23-11 record with plenty of top 100 players.

9e92cbf83ebeda6a06493f97d9266512.jpg

Yeah picked to finish second.

He was responding to a post talking about two years ago. Not sure if he was right, but definitely wasn’t referring to the predictions you posted.

He was responding to a post talking about two years ago. Not sure if he was right, but definitely wasn’t referring to the predictions you posted.

I mean I can only go off what he said which was they ended up as the #1 overall seed last year.

Regardless, UVA hasn't been picked to finish last in the ACC in the last few years (or even the bottom half of the ACC).

Tony Bennett is 49.

10 years from now, is Tony Bennett:

a) Still the UVA Coach, with 250+ more wins, more ACC titles, Final 4s and maybe even another Natty or two having built UVA into an elite power on par with the best of the best college programs;
b) Coaching for some other NCAA School: Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, Wisconsin (his home state);
c) Coaching in the NBA, taking the Brad Stevens route to try coaching on another level (also Bennett played 3+ seasons in the NBA);
d) Out of coaching and using his success and notoriety in some altruistic fashion;
e) Still the UVA Coach, but the program falls back to the middling level that has been UVA's history until Bennett took over.

a)

Maybe I'm misremembering. But I thought there was one season, maybe it was a while ago, where UVA was picked to finish last and ended up winning the ACC. I know they weren't picked last this season.

Maybe I'm misremembering. But I thought there was one season, maybe it was a while ago, where UVA was picked to finish last and ended up winning the ACC. I know they weren't picked last this season.

Is "I think I remember . . . " really your best posting style ?

It looks like they were picked to finish sixth three years ago and other than that have been picked to finish in the top 4 since 2014.

I've always felt badly for Fred Brown. That's a lot to put on a kid. As for Webber, I always thought he got the disproportionate blame for that play. He was their C. The ball was inbounded to him, and none of the guards came to get the ball. Jalen Rose was hiding behind his defender at midccourt, and Webber had to dribble it all the way down the court himself. What team has their C doing that?

In both of those games UNC was in position to win - those boneheaded plays just sealed the deal.

And, Webber started to call timeout when he first got the rebound, then didn't pass the ball to Rose when Rose was right there looking for the pass, then he almost walked when he started to dribble. He was clearly flustered from the get-go and that led to the t.o. when he got to the other end and didn't know what else to do.

As others have pointed out, it has been a long time since UVA was picked to finish anywhere near last. I think there was a year long ago where Wake was picked to finish pretty low in the league and ended up winning the regular season - one of Skip's years, maybe? Maybe J Howard's senior season?

As others have pointed out, it has been a long time since UVA was picked to finish anywhere near last. I think there was a year long ago where Wake was picked to finish pretty low in the league and ended up winning the regular season - one of Skip's years, maybe? Maybe J Howard's senior season?

TJDK

Back