• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

#CurrieOut

His last 2 jobs he botched a coaching hire so bad he was fired and retained one of the worst basketball coaches in history. This was after he said his first priority was to fix the basketball program. What's not to like? Dude is crushing it!

The only thing he botched at TN was taking the job.

And it's ridiculous to blame Currie for anything related to Manning... at this point.

And it's ridiculous to blame Currie for anything related to Manning... at this point.

There is no way he did not have the discussion re: basketball prior to taking this job. And if he did, either way, he also botched taking this job.

There is no way he did not have the discussion re: basketball prior to taking this job. And if he did, either way, he also botched taking this job.

How did he "botch" taking the Wake AD job if he knew Manning was going to be head coach of basketball for 2019-2020? Explain your reasoning.

I’d take the job even if manning were gonna be there still. He could be here for 25 years why cut off your nose to spite your face?

I do not think it is ridiculous to place some of the blame on Currie for not getting this done this year. Oats just went to 'bama, so he's out. We will lose other, good coaches over the course of the next few weeks. In an ideal world, Currie would have gotten the money together and sent Danny on his way. I would agree with the assessment that Currie did not create this problem and Wellman is the party that is most at fault - by a mile.

I do not think it is ridiculous to place some of the blame on Currie for not getting this done this year. Oats just went to 'bama, so he's out. We will lose other, good coaches over the course of the next few weeks. In an ideal world, Currie would have gotten the money together and sent Danny on his way. I would agree with the assessment that Currie did not create this problem and Wellman is the party that is most at fault - by a mile.

You need to put the lid back on the bottle and return to the real world. As of today, Ron Wellman is Director of
Athletics at Wake. John Currie is an assistant to the president. Pretty difficult to raise millions in a few weeks when you don't have portfolio to do so. Hard to put much blame on Currie for accepting this as the price for getting to lead his Alma Mater's athletics for the next two decades or so. He has to play the long term game. And he had to wait until the job is his to make major changes.

There will be another crop of hot coaches next year. And if we're talkin 8 digits we don't have the money to get into a bidding war with Oats.

This is ridiculous. You people are dumber than I thought.

You need to put the lid back on the bottle and return to the real world. As of today, Ron Wellman is Director of
Athletics at Wake. John Currie is an assistant to the president. Pretty difficult to raise millions in a few weeks when you don't have portfolio to do so. Hard to put much blame on Currie for accepting this as the price for getting to lead his Alma Mater's athletics for the next two decades or so. He has to play the long term game. And he had to wait until the job is his to make major changes.

Like I said, Wellman is the party that is most at fault - by a mile. You could put some blame on Currie for not getting it done, but if the buyout was in fact $18MM, that is a tall order to pull off. And as I have said in this thread, I take no issue with Currie accepting the job under these circumstances. I completely understand the decision, glad he accepted the job, and would have done the same thing. Nonetheless, on May 2nd, Danny Manning will in all likelihood still be our head coach under AD John Currie.

There will be another crop of hot coaches next year. And if we're talkin 8 digits we don't have the money to get into a bidding war with Oats.

Always is, but the hype is not always deserved. Some guard gets hot and they win a conference tournament and maybe an NCAAT game. Doesn't mean they're a good coach, but I feel pretty good about Oats. I realize you are not suggesting that Wellman should have given Manning an $18MM guarantee contract, but damn, there is no reason we should be in that situation. Was anyone in the country interested in hiring Danny Manning away from Wake?

If I had the same history as Currie, was asked to take a job where the most important aspect would have a high probability of failure in the first year due to circumstances out of my control, that the probability of future of success were reliant upon my credibility, and that the fan base is not in a state of perpetual optimism....I would accuse myself of poor decision making.

John Currie is going to be a terrific AD for us - in every way. He is one of the most ethical, moral, hard-working, intelligent, and just plain great dudes I've ever run across. I don't care what you hear and turn those tidbits into - he's a badass. And on top of all that, he loves Wake Forest. If John Currie isn't as popular as an AD can be a few years from now, I will be shocked.

Have confidence, and try to stop picking the guy apart. Any mistakes complained about above are not of his making. He will fix what he can fix. Believe in John.

He may be all of those things, but if he does not fire Manning by May 2, he is incompetent. There is not much left to preside over.

What if you threw a basketball game and nobody came?

So how much did you pony up for the buyout?? I thought so.

Sorry, I did not make the mess. If you think dollars are the problem, then you need to take some econ courses. Keeping Danny is costing much more than getting rid of him, even in the short term.

Long term, keeping Manning is a disastrous financial decision.

People are so pissed that some are actually blaming Currie for the Manning situation and for actually taking the job. That's pissed - albeit understandably pissed at our program situation - beyond any connection to reality.

People are so pissed that some are actually blaming Currie for the Manning situation and for actually taking the job. That's pissed - albeit understandably pissed at our program situation - beyond any connection to reality.
Yeah it's nuts.

Wellman needs to go and now he's gone YEAH!
Anyone that takes the job is an idiot........same people.

Yeah it's nuts.

The thing is, whether it's directly his fault or not, Currie isn't going to get a pass. Wellman is a lame duck and the decision to retain Manning with Currie already in the fold makes him look like an accomplice to a decision that is impossibly wrongheaded. Nobody wants to keep eating shit sandwiches regardless of who is serving them so unless Currie can make a dramatic break from the current regime and do so quickly he'll be tainted by it before he has assumed authority.

Yeah it's nuts.

Meh. Wellman should have been fired/retired and the new AD announced. Currie should have made the decision about Manning and owned it. If it's a buyout, explain it that way. This murky "Wellman's out but making decisions for the coming year" bullshit while we have a new AD announced is so Wake Forest and it's a huge part of our problem. I get Currie wanted the job and it was in HIS long-term interest to take it even with the Manning albatross around his neck, but it's not in Wake's best interest. It's a bad look and a terrible way to take over a program that is in desperate need of some better optics. I am very suspicious of Currie and whether it will be more of the same old bullshit or an actual improvement. I think it's fair and frankly what Currie deserves for taking the job this way (even though we all would have taken it). He better establish himself quickly after May 1 or he will fail before he begins.

On another note, all the politics around this are so stupid. This is not some multi-national trade agreement. Wellman made at least three really bad decisions with regard to basketball and tanked our program. Manning has been terrible and should not coach another day. Most fans realized this a long time ago but by now it is even obvious to the sunshine brigade. Logic dictates to cut our losses and hire the best we can afford and move on. So yeah, more of the same bullshit is a terrible look for any new AD to come in with.

Per the usual, our athletic department botched the PR on the Currie hire.

They should have waited to announce Currie until they announced a decision on Manning.

Per the usual, our athletic department botched the PR on the Currie hire.

They should have waited to announce Currie until they announced a decision on Manning.

They should have announced/hired Currie and let HIM make the decision. What's the point of hiring a new AD if you are going to tie his hands for the first year. If Currie felt like Manning couldn't be fired (due to circumstances beyond Currie's control) then let Currie announce it and explain why. This is the only way to build any credibility. All this shows me is the new athletic department isn't going to be an improvement over the old one under Wellman.

Back