• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

#CurrieOut

Since we are so good at picking coaches for other teams, who will potentially be out there next year that "could" be there for the taking? Maybe someone like Richard Pitino at Minnesota who flies under the radar?

I think Richard Pitino has had a few integrity road bumps along the way at Minnesota and that would rule him out.

I have mentioned it a couple of times, but I like the idea of Anthony Grant. I also think another year will tell us a lot about Wes, Richey, Brannen, etc. Craig Smith is someone we should keep our eye on.

I really think that while Currie didn't want to be stuck with Manning, the contract was only half the reason Manning remains. I absolutely believe knowing John that he didn't see any coach available that he thought was going to be the right guy to be as close to a sure thing as possible to get the program back to where it needs to be, given the hole Wake has dug with the program. Based on that, I think John swallowed hard and knows maybe who he thinks he can get given a year to work in that direction. 4 more years of a coach that doesn't get it done - again - is worse than another year of Manning and then bringing in a stud. I honestly didn't see any stud coaches that were going to be gettable and I am just guessing here but I don't think Currie did either.

This assumes Currie had a say in the decision. Everyone is saying this was Wellman’s choice.

You can’t have it both ways.

Folks- look at the Buffalo roster. Nearly all JuCos and transfers. If you think that would work at Wake, then I’ll have what you’re smoking. Doesn’t mean Oates isn’t a heck of a coach- I believe he is- but he would have to completely change how and who he recruits. Alabama is a much better fit. “Fit” is most important at a place like Wake- and that’s simply not a fit.

Last year, Wake Forest had two players who played every game while not joining the program as freshmen. Buffalo had three. I think Oats would have been able to adjust just fine.

Players who played in every game for Buffalo last year:
1) CJ Massinburg - senior, recruited to Buffalo as a freshmen
2) Nick Perkins - senior, recruited to Buffalo as a freshmen
3) Jeremey Harris - senior, recruited to Buffalo from Gulf Coast State CC
4) Jayvon Graves - sophomore, recruited to Buffalo as a freshmen
5) Dontay Caruthers - senior, recruited to Buffalo from Midland CC
6) Davonta Jordan - junior, recruited to Buffalo as a freshmen
7) Montell McRae - senior, recruited to Buffalo from South Plains JC
8) Jeenathan Williams - freshmen, recruited to Buffalo as a freshmen
9) Ronaldo Segu - freshmen, recruited to Buffalo as a freshmen

To be accurate, Buffalo's two best players this year, Massinburg and Perkins, were recruited to Buffalo when Hurley was the head coach (Ikenna Smart was part of that class), not Oats. Hurley left after the 2014-5 season, when Buffalo won the MAC and made the NCAAs. Massinberg and Perkins (and Smart) started as frosh at Buffalo with Oats.

I really think that while Currie didn't want to be stuck with Manning, the contract was only half the reason Manning remains. I absolutely believe knowing John that he didn't see any coach available that he thought was going to be the right guy to be as close to a sure thing as possible to get the program back to where it needs to be, given the hole Wake has dug with the program. Based on that, I think John swallowed hard and knows maybe who he thinks he can get given a year to work in that direction. 4 more years of a coach that doesn't get it done - again - is worse than another year of Manning and then bringing in a stud. I honestly didn't see any stud coaches that were going to be gettable and I am just guessing here but I don't think Currie did either.

1) We are clear that you know him. No need to keep repeating it.

2) Your need to report that you know people is... odd. Does it make you feel more secure?

3) Knowing a person can allow you to have insights into their mind. Yet it can also bias you toward them such that you seek to justify their actions irrationally. The above post seems like an example of the latter. You seem to have Currie on a pedestal, so I’m curious whom you are expecting him to deliver to us next year.

To be accurate, Buffalo's two best players this year, Massinburg and Perkins, were recruited to Buffalo when Hurley was the head coach (Ikenna Smart was part of that class), not Oats. Hurley left after the 2014-5 season, when Buffalo won the MAC and made the NCAAs. Massinberg and Perkins (and Smart) started as frosh at Buffalo with Oats.

To be accurate, Massinburg was recruited to Buffalo after Hurley had already left.

Folks- look at the Buffalo roster. Nearly all JuCos and transfers. If you think that would work at Wake, then I’ll have what you’re smoking. Doesn’t mean Oates isn’t a heck of a coach- I believe he is- but he would have to completely change how and who he recruits. Alabama is a much better fit. “Fit” is most important at a place like Wake- and that’s simply not a fit.

When will this bs line end? This is a lowf line of reasoning. One of many that ronnie has used over the years to justify failure.

"But but wake does things differently. Thats why its sooo hard to win and historically competitive is good enough gosh darnet. Sorry. Should not have cursed."

A good coach is success with the parameters in place. If those change a good coach can adapt. Its like saying "he was only successful is a lesser league with lesser recruits. Two and three stars wont cut it at wake. Of course not. New name gets you in the door with better recruits. I can't bring in jucos? That ok. I can now get in the door with 4 stars and a 5er now and then. Some people get strippers and cash payments to compete. I had to go juco for a step up in talent.

Manning is back for three reasons:

1) Wellman is going out and wants one last chance to salvage his basketball reputation.

2) The buyout is substantial.

3) The returning players want Manning back.

Its an idiotic decision but that’s why.

If 1 or 3 had any bearing whatsoever we might as well cancel basketball. RW has fucked basketball enough. If the big donors and board members allowed Wellman to fuck us more on his way out the door that is terrible. Almost as terrible as giving a shit what the players want.

If 1 or 3 had any bearing whatsoever we might as well cancel basketball. RW has fucked basketball enough. If the big donors and board members allowed Wellman to fuck us more on his way out the door that is terrible. Almost as terrible as giving a shit what the players want.

For some reason can't edit post. Forgot to say #2, while insanely frustrating this was allowed to happen, at least we can hope a new AD will be smarter. Still can't believe RW was allowed to sign such a terrible extension.

For some reason can't edit post. Forgot to say #2, while insanely frustrating this was allowed to happen, at least we can hope a new AD will be smarter. Still can't believe RW was allowed to sign such a terrible extension.

This is the big worry about MSD as a university. The most public failure at the university got a sweetheart deal.

So, was Wellman pushed out or did he decide to retire? Thought it was the former until he decided to keep DM.

Correct. But also with some hope that, with a year, Currie can hand pick a new coach. Not anyone's ideal or even tenth from ideal situation, but at least RW is gone.

This is basically where I am. It sucks and will set us back more than just another year, as the rebuild itself is going to take several years, but Wellman is gone and I am pleased with that.

I think Richard Pitino has had a few integrity road bumps along the way at Minnesota and that would rule him out.

I have mentioned it a couple of times, but I like the idea of Anthony Grant. I also think another year will tell us a lot about Wes, Richey, Brannen, etc. Craig Smith is someone we should keep our eye on.

Add Lavelle Moton to the list

Add Lavelle Moton to the list

Would be great as an associate head coach (particularly if we hire someone without regional ties, eg Craig Smith), but I think he needs a step before he’s ready to be an ACC head coach.

Going from Childress to Moton would be an incredible upgrade.

Back