• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

#CurrieOut

That is exactly what I would do if I were Currie. Fire Manning on May 1st, say we are heading into 2019 with Nestor as interim head coach with the rest of the staff in place. Who cares about one recruiting class. The new coach will be able to find a player or two when he is hired. We have squandered the opportunity to hire a coach and maintain the level of talent which is unfortunate, now the sole focus should be getting away from Manning. I can't believe they weren't able to work out a buyout. 1 graduating recruit in 5 years, 79 combined losses in 4 of those years.

In Manning's 'prove it' years (year 4,5 for almost every coach that has shown SOME positive momentum like Manning did in year 3), Manning has 40 combined losses. He has proven what he is yet we continue to employ him.

No, that's not what you do. This is the time of year to fire and hire coaches. Please recall the difficult situation we were in when Skip died in August - we only had a number of bad options from which to choose.

Sure I certainly understand his desire to have the job. And maybe he did completely understand the beyond nuclear meltdown this was sure to cause. Maybe this was even the only job available to him after UT. I don’t know man. But I sure wouldn’t want to be public enemy #2 before I even officially start my job.

It doesn't matter if it is Currie's fault or not, he is now responsible to fix it. If he didn't think this was going to be a crapfest, then he isn't very smart. If he knew the fanbase would erupt and didn't negotiate to have Manning fired before he took the job (or allow him to fire Manning once he took the job) then he isn't very smart. If he knew Manning would be retained and understood the fan ramifications, then he needs to communicate very clearly with the fans and alumni regarding his plan. If he repeats the same mistakes of the Wellman administration in his first year, ALL of Wellman's baggage is going to be piled on Currie and he will be an AD that is completely abhorred by the alumni and fans. If he comes in and acts with openness, clarity, and effectiveness he will be adored. He has the opportunity to fail or succeed very quickly as the WFU AD.

No, that's not what you do. This is the time of year to fire and hire coaches. Please recall the difficult situation we were in when Skip died in August - we only had a number of bad options from which to choose.

I COMPLETELY agree, but it is clear that Wellman is not firing Manning. I am just saying I would rather Currie fire Manning May than go into next year with Manning the head coach.

No, but I've always lived in VA since college, so I follow the VA schools. Wake hasn't been worth watching the last 9 years, so UVA and VT are the main reason I still watch any college hoops these days. Hate Duke, UNC and Bama and don't mind Auburn.

Fuck Ron Wellman.

It's bizarre to cheer for both teams in a (fairly) bitter rivalry. That was my point.

I COMPLETELY agree, but it is clear that Wellman is not firing Manning. I am just saying I would rather Currie fire Manning May than go into next year with Manning the head coach.

No, Currie has essentially signed onto Danny being the coach next year no matter the level of his input in retaining him. The dumpster fire and recruiting situation would be just as bad or worse with an interim. This level of incompetence is mind numbing, and I'm numb from all of it.

It's bizarre to cheer for both teams in a (fairly) bitter rivalry. That was my point.

I have plenty of friends who went to 1 or the other, and I went to W&M for grad school. I tend to like Tech more as a school and fan base, but I'm a big fan of Bennett's and have had season tix here for many years (and had to sit through many lean Jones, Gillen and Leitao years). As a rivalry, it's way more intense in football, though Tech has been schooling UVA for the last 2 decades, so it's not like it's been close. My Tech friends who live here in Cville all actually kinda like UVA hoops now (but would for the Taliban against UVA in football). But even in football, it seems a little toned down from what it was like in the 90s when they were both good and played some classic games.

Nope. That's how you get year six of Danny.

What's left of this fan base needs to go full SEC on the frauds that run Wake athletics.

I'm talking about in regards to Currie only. Feel free to freak out at Wellman, Manning, Hatch, etc.

They took that video down, WF admin has censored it for sure. Their little con game has been revealed. Frickin' scheisters!!

ETA: really hope more people than not waited to renew with the DC to see what would happen. If this was some sort of convoluted plan concocted to try to dupe people into renewing with false hope, that is some slimy BS right there.

Not on the job yet and I despise Currie. Tennesse knew what they were doing.

Don't see how you can completely agree and still want Currie to fire Manning on May 1st. The buy-out is still there - unsolved - plus it's too late to find a good coach. Are you perhaps thinking Nestor or Chill as an interim for 19-20 ?

Again, no matter how you spin it, Currie looks bad in this mess.

He was either very naïve back in November, very desperate for a job or knew what his mentor had done and chose to ignore it for the sake of getting the job. Perhaps inadvertently, he has dug a large hole for himself on credibility. Best thing he could do to begin saving face is make dang sure Dave Clawson gets paid handsomely. But Gawd knows how Wellman may have screwed up the terms and conditions of Clawson's re-write deal.

Currie was desperate for a job and doesn't care how he looks because he is getting paid and knows he will be at Wake Forest for the next 20+ years.

It's pretty obvious that there is a huge buyout on Manning's contract. How exactly is Currie supposed to get around that considering he's been around for 5 minutes?

It's pretty obvious that there is a huge buyout on Manning's contract. How exactly is Currie supposed to get around that considering he's been around for 5 minutes?

its a sunk cost and why not fix the cash flows you can by quickly improving attendance/enthusiasm/revs/etc. by making a change that any other respectable program in D1 would make. I get him wanting a job especially knowing it clearly has a low bar of expectations and knows you can perform abysmally and still be employed for years and years without worrying about excellence on any level. Who doesn't say yes to that if you aren't someone that wants to lead and make things happen.

Back