• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

#CurrieOut

It's pretty obvious that there is a huge buyout on Manning's contract. How exactly is Currie supposed to get around that considering he's been around for 5 minutes?

Don't let them announce your hiring until after today's shit-show played out? Don't get tied to the absolutely moronic decision to keep Manning and don't be associated with the tone-deaf messaging?

Not on the job yet and I despise Currie. Tennesse knew what they were doing.

The above video (as noted removed now) looks like it was posted by wake was tagged as currie's "day one" so this pretend date of a may one start day is bs and he was involved in the discussion. Its on him too.

Don't let them announce your hiring until after today's shit-show played out? Don't get tied to the absolutely moronic decision to keep Manning and don't be associated with the tone-deaf messaging?

This. Tell Ron, why yes, I'll take the AD job, but why don't you delay the announcement to say, April.

Edited to add, BTW, if the retaining of Manning is due to a yuge buyout in his contract, exactly how greatly will said buyout be eased at this time next year? My guess is another $2-3mil, which will still leave a considerable price tag next year. I remember when Pete Gillen was in trouble here, he voluntarily redid his contract his last year to make his buyout more palatable to UVA. My impression was he was being a nice guy and didn't have to do that.

Last edited:
The above video (as noted removed now) looks like it was posted by wake was tagged as currie's "day one" so this pretend date of a may one start day is bs and he was involved in the discussion. Its on him too.

The video is still there, you just have to go to YouTube to watch it.

A May firing of Manning, as much as we might all want that, is unrealistic. I think the best possible, but still realistic, scenario is that Currie hates this decision and has a quick trigger during next season, probably after we have our next Houston Baptist type loss.

I’m sure it’s being discussed elsewhere but isn’t what avandy is doing with Bryce Drew am even bigger indictment of Wellman/Currie than just about anything else. Bandy is a less good program in a less good conference with a better coach who has been there a shorter amount of time and who actually has an excuse (injury to best player who is clear lottery pick). Vandy is still a good comp for Wake in all things academic/athletic. They are addressing their situation. We are doing nothing. Pitiful.

I’m sure it’s being discussed elsewhere but isn’t what avandy is doing with Bryce Drew am even bigger indictment of Wellman/Currie than just about anything else. Bandy is a less good program in a less good conference with a better coach who has been there a shorter amount of time and who actually has an excuse (injury to best player who is clear lottery pick). Vandy is still a good comp for Wake in all things academic/athletic. They are addressing their situation. We are doing nothing. Pitiful.

Also, Alabama. Avery Johnson looks to be out after 4 years and orders of magnitude more success than Manning...at a school where basketball is a distant second to football.

Yall are so short sighted and idiotic. Currie will succeed and is a great hire for Wake. Pound your fists at Wellman, Manning, etc but Currie has not even gotten a paycheck. Let the man do the job he was hired to do. So stupid. Keyboard jockeys.

Yall are so short sighted and idiotic. Currie will succeed and is a great hire for Wake. Pound your fists at Wellman, Manning, etc but Currie has not even gotten a paycheck. Let the man do the job he was hired to do. So stupid. Keyboard jockeys.

Unfortunately, Currie starts his new job with a huge albatross around his neck that will be hard to shake. Great job, Ron.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the people already willing to slurp Currie and in Currie we trust coincides with people that graduate the same time as him. Nepotism at its finest.

One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over. Finally something different is happening. As of May 1, John Currie will be the AD. It will not be year 27 or 28 or 29 of repeating what has gone before. Change has to start somewhere. Hiring Currie is a start. Not enough, but a start of change.

This could definitely be the next 25 years of the Wellman era.

[This currie is not so spicy]

For the record i'm not currie in or out. I just don't trust anyone in a position of power at wake. They'll need to earn it back.

If everyone had been an honest broker, and the word had been put out help was needed to pay off a dumb contract, Wake Forest could have raised the money to buy out the contract plus more. People act like we were trying to buy Amazon in a hostile takeover. You could have raised this cash on $500.00 donations.

If everyone had been an honest broker, and the word had been put out help was needed to pay off a dumb contract, Wake Forest could have raised the money to buy out the contract plus more. People act like we were trying to buy Amazon in a hostile takeover. You could have raised this cash on $500.00 donations.

This is spot on.

Back