• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

#CurrieOut

Currie better not tarnish the reputation of 90s Deacs. #greatestgeneration

Second year and third year coaches are getting bounced from universities with better academic reputations than Wake and no one bats an eye.

I am neither Curie in or Currie. Does anyone know what Curie was told about Manning’s job? There is a good chance that he was told that Manning was done and Wellman screwed it up.

This thread should be taken down. This is on Wellman and Hatch. Not Currie.

I got this PM in response to the above post.

"You can go fist yourself along with him. Currie knew full well what he was getting into."

We definitely have a lunatic fringe. Jesus.

Currie himself is tweeting about participating in evaluation meetings and such. When he was hired, everybody thought that meant he was going to be an active part of the hiring process.

Let’s not pretend he has nothing to do with this past week. If RW has that much power, then Currie will also have that same power in just over a month.
May 1st is not too late to hire a new coach. If he had any internet in making a change, he could be putting out feelers right now.

I am in the official FUCK YOU JOHN CURRIE camp. That POS is a Wellman cronie and complicit in the demise of a bball program. Tennessee boosters know not to accept trash, Wake boosters bath in it.

I expect Currie to be back channeling and have a solid hire lined up for the first week of May. If he doesn't do that, I'm #currieout.

I am in the official FUCK YOU JOHN CURRIE camp. That POS is a Wellman cronie and complicit in the demise of a bball program. Tennessee boosters know not to accept trash, Wake boosters bath in it.

Either he shocks the world and becomes a hero on May 2 or he is Wellman 2.0.

Currie himself is tweeting about participating in evaluation meetings and such. When he was hired, everybody thought that meant he was going to be an active part of the hiring process.

That doesn't mean he is running them (meetings). It sounds like a good opportunity to meet the coaches and staff. We were told he wasn't making any decisions now and Wellman is still running the show until May 1. I'm reserving judgement on Currie until he is running the show. I don't hold any of what has already transpired against him.
If I had the background to save the Wake athletic department, and had a passion to do so, I am not turning down the opportunity to do that because of bad decisions made by my predecessor on the way out. Maybe he is only taking it because it is his best professional option. However, as someone that has loved Wake sports, I can see that as a motivating factor as well. I'm not leaving the programs I love behind to whoever else might take the gig (without assurances it is someone great). If people are against any AD coming in and allowing Wellman this last decision, then we can't have a good AD take over for him. That doesn't make sense. If Currie agrees with you, all the more reason for him to take the gig due to his personal relationship with the school that could supersede typical professional decision making.

I don't get why folks here think there is going to be a May firing of Manning. This is the time of year to fire and hire coaches. Everything is set by early April. You're not going to attract the kind of coaching talent in the summer like you're going to attract now. This is why we were stuck when Skip died in August and why UNC had to go along with Deano's plan of succession with Guthridge. Manning will at least begin next season as our coach.

Aren't we all assuming that we simply can't afford to fire Manning? It would be nice if Currie could find $18m, but this seems like Wellman fucked it up with the contract extension and now we're stuck until someone can raise the money or get the university to acknowledge the sunk costs and move on.

Currie may be a total Wellman stooge. Posting picture in at UT during the heat of the Shaka rumors was stupid, but I don't see how he's responsible for Manning's albatross contract.

this thread is super dumb

if you're John Currie, working as a consultant after a public debacle at Tennessee, and you get offered the Wake AD job, you take with or without another year of Manning

I don't get why folks here think there is going to be a May firing of Manning. This is the time of year to fire and hire coaches. Everything is set by early April. You're not going to attract the kind of coaching talent in the summer like you're going to attract now. This is why we were stuck when Skip died in August and why UNC had to go along with Deano's plan of succession with Guthridge. Manning will at least begin next season as our coach.

Surely it's possible that Currie could get everything lined up now, and wait until May to announce it...

I got this PM in response to the above post.

"You can go fist yourself along with him. Currie knew full well what he was getting into."

We definitely have a lunatic fringe. Jesus.

The way things are going that fringe is gonna get more and more crowded.

Either Wake hoops drives you crazy or you just don’t care anymore.

Back