• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

#CurrieOut

Somebody had to succeed Wellman. If #CurrieOut, then who? Who would have done anything different than Currie's done so far? Who would have overruled Wellman BEFORE Wellman's tenure ends, before Wellman is ready to give up his power? Who?

Currie was undoubtedly involved in this process and as the AD in waiting, he must have had a say. I think the larger issue will be the buyout that Wellman gave Manning that Currie had nothing to do with. It may be possible even Currie realized that Wake's hands are tied so long as Manning is unwilling to re-negotiate a buyout. That, or he really buys into the idea that we are seeing progress under Manning, which would be frightening if true.

Okay, all armchair internet athletic directors. You are offered the job of Athletics Director at Wake. You will be allowed to run it your way for the next 20 years absent scandal. The one restriction is for the first year you can't replace any current coach who doesn't leave voluntarily. Do you accept?

Seemingly, the best case scenario for Manning coming back is that Wake negotiated better buyout terms for letting him stay on for one more year or perhaps the buyout terms are much better if Manning fails to make good enough progress next year. Wellman and extensions though... kinda Jekyll and Hyde.

Okay, all armchair internet athletic directors. You are offered the job of Athletics Director at Wake. You will be allowed to run it your way for the next 20 years absent scandal. The one restriction is for the first year you can't replace any current coach who doesn't leave voluntarily. Do you accept?

With an April 15 start date. Why be tied to this disaster of a decision?

Definitely. Especially if I’m a disgraced AD trying to rehab his career at my alma mater. But I definitely let the fanbase know all coaches are on notice. We will see on May 2 what Currie does.

With an April 15 start date. Why be tied to this disaster of a decision?

But what if you sign on with the understanding that a deal has been made. And then, the deal falls through - maybe Manning changes his mind. Maybe the BOT won’t approve spending $18m. Maybe a donor who was going to contribute mega-bucks backs out. What does an AD in waiting do? He stays away from the press conference announcing that the dumpster fire will continue. Methinks there was a reason Currie was not present.

What other jobs could Currie realistically have gotten on the open market?

the Manning contract -- whatever it is -- is a sunk cost

given that, what was the preferred course of action to what happened for you #currieout donks?

Seemingly, the best case scenario for Manning coming back is that Wake negotiated better buyout terms for letting him stay on for one more year or perhaps the buyout terms are much better if Manning fails to make good enough progress next year. Wellman and extensions though... kinda Jekyll and Hyde.

If they couldn’t pay the buyout and he wouldn’t budge, there is zero reason for him to allow any changes to the contract. I’m visualizing Manning texting “fuck you, pay me” over and over again.
Don’t have 18 million... can’t image you have $15 mill next year or $12 mill the year after that. Manning sees the opportunity for job security and as dumb as he has presented himself to be, he will only lose 16 games next year and take that as proof of how much progress is being made.
Finally we just miss the NIT in Zeke’s senior year and he tweets new beginnings again for the 2023 season.

the Manning contract -- whatever it is -- is a sunk cost

given that, what was the preferred course of action to what happened for you #currieout donks?

So far Currie is doing what little he can do in his current situation. I don't have x-ray vision to see behind closed doors. Currie seems to be following Dale Carnegie advice so far.

Definitely. Especially if I’m a disgraced AD trying to rehab his career at my alma mater. But I definitely let the fanbase know all coaches are on notice. We will see on May 2 what Currie does.

How do you think he will let the fanbase know all coaches are on notice?

But what if you sign on with the understanding that a deal has been made. And then, the deal falls through - maybe Manning changes his mind. Maybe the BOT won’t approve spending $18m. Maybe a donor who was going to contribute mega-bucks backs out. What does an AD in waiting do? He stays away from the press conference announcing that the dumpster fire will continue. Methinks there was a reason Currie was not present.

All reasons to not announce the hire until after the Manning decision has been made.

I mean, yeah I'd maybe take the job. But I'd also understand if the fanbase hated me from the very beginning. I'd have the self-awareness to understand that I would look like a complete stooge, and even if I couldn't fire Manning ASAP I'd do whatever I could to distance myself from him once i had the job.

So we'll see if Currie has the stones to be his own man, or he's just another Wellman yes man.

I mean, yeah I'd maybe take the job. But I'd also understand if the fanbase hated me from the very beginning. I'd have the self-awareness to understand that I would look like a complete stooge, and even if I couldn't fire Manning ASAP I'd do whatever I could to distance myself from him once i had the job.

So we'll see if Currie has the stones to be his own man, or he's just another Wellman yes man.

Is there any possibility that they are waiting for the results of the criminal case for the assistant coach who killed the guy? Could that give the school any leverage on Manning’s co tract? Just a thought if he pleads guilty or is convicted.

Back