• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

#CurrieOut

Graduated in the 90s, in school at the same time...he is Wellman 2.0, and a Wellman acolyte.

Video is lame. You can interview him and make a video about it, but to follow him around to capture half-scripted moments just smacks of this administration’s shallow attempts at spin. Especially when we don’t know what actual power he even has.

No doubt they will make a video of Wellman’s last day, walking around shaking hands with coaches and student athletes. I hope someone is scowling at him in the background.

So we'll see if Currie has the stones to be his own man, or he's just another Wellman yes man.
You're seriously questioning whether the guy who avoided the Tennessee administration during a hire has the stones to be his own man?? LOL. This thread is absurd. Entertaining though.

People aren't really under the delusion that something will change on May 2, are they?
The coach may not change, but the level of transparency into this situation might. Currie was known for being a marketer and getting alumni/fan buy-in, yes? If true, then he knows he'll need to come out and provide a better explanation for why Manning was retained.

No doubt they will make a video of Wellman’s last day, walking around shaking hands with coaches and student athletes. I hope someone is scowling at him in the background.

I don't even think Wake is stupid enough to do this. Then again I also didn't think they were stupid enough to keep Manning another year and here we are.

The coach may not change, but the level of transparency into this situation might. Currie was known for being a marketer and getting alumni/fan buy-in, yes? If true, then he knows he'll need to come out and provide a better explanation for why Manning was retained.

I would expect this information to be slow played and come out in dribbles and leaks over the summer. I would be surprised if there was a big single announcement.

I would expect this information to be slow played and come out in dribbles and leaks over the summer. I would be surprised if there was a big single announcement.
If Currie knows Manning needs to be replaced, then I think he just comes out and explains in general terms what he expects from a head bball coach (courting fan interest, active in community, etc) and the expectations of what it would take for Manning to be retained further......NCAA tourny Sweet 16. I don't see the downside since it's not his guy. I still think there's a chance he makes a switch too but that's more of a long shot.

Hopefully that was part of the negotiations this week.

One hopes Currie was able to get the buyout reduced substantially in exchange for giving Manning one more year.

Also, for those of you wondering why he would take this job, virtually all of us would have taken the job under these circumstances. He was recently fired from UT, was offered a ton of money to come back to WFU, and is going lead the AD. The only catch is he got stuck with a terrible head coach and an angry (but small) fan base. If he makes the right hire next, all is forgiven by most, and those that write the big checks.

One hopes Currie was able to get the buyout reduced substantially in exchange for giving Manning one more year.

Also, for those of you wondering why he would take this job, virtually all of us would have taken the job under these circumstances. He was recently fired from UT, was offered a ton of money to come back to WFU, and is going lead the AD. The only catch is he got stuck with a terrible head coach and an angry (but small) fan base. If he makes the right hire next, all is forgiven by most, and those that write the big checks.

Finally some simple logic in this thread. BSD and Pourdeac. Finally. Give them man a chance to sit behind the desk before #currieout. If he sucks and is a spineless twerp wellmanboi, then go get him. But I doubt that a guy with deep ties to WFU will want to come back and not do his best for the school he loves. some of yall are just ridiculous.

If I had recently been let go from my job and prospects weren't looking great, and suddenly not only do I get a call about a really good job, but it's my dream job ... but the condition is I have to keep a completely unqualified imbecile in charge of my biggest division ... I don't know what I'd do.

If I had recently been let go from my job and prospects weren't looking great, and suddenly not only do I get a call about a really good job, but it's my dream job ... but the condition is I have to keep a completely unqualified imbecile in charge of my biggest division ... I don't know what I'd do.

I'd prob say yes assuming I could figure it out once on the job

You'd absolutely take it. Companies are littered with unqualified rubes that are there for reasons unrelated to merit... And stay a lot longer than a year.

I'm sure the PETA crowd applauded Currie's move to drop equestrian.
Please, people ........think of the horses!

Haha. In this case it’s the kids. Think about the kids!

The kids told Wellman they want Daniel back, and want to play for him.

It’s essentially the same kids as this season, so I am sure they know what’s best, and it will all go well.

I wonder how Mike Buddie answered the Manning question in his interview With Wellman/Hatch. Guess he got that one wrong....

John Currie is going to be a terrific AD for us - in every way. He is one of the most ethical, moral, hard-working, intelligent, and just plain great dudes I've ever run across. I don't care what you hear and turn those tidbits into - he's a badass. And on top of all that, he loves Wake Forest. If John Currie isn't as popular as an AD can be a few years from now, I will be shocked.

Have confidence, and try to stop picking the guy apart. Any mistakes complained about above are not of his making. He will fix what he can fix. Believe in John.

You'd absolutely take it. Companies are littered with unqualified rubes that are there for reasons unrelated to merit... And stay a lot longer than a year.

Agreed. Which is why I think we should take it easy on Currie right now. He's just a guy who got offered his dream job and took it, but he probably wants Manning gone just as much as the rest of us do.

His last 2 jobs he botched a coaching hire so bad he was fired and retained one of the worst basketball coaches in history. This was after he said his first priority was to fix the basketball program. What's not to like? Dude is crushing it!

Agreed. Which is why I think we should take it easy on Currie right now. He's just a guy who got offered his dream job and took it, but he probably wants Manning gone just as much as the rest of us do.

Yeah sorry, I realized after I posted that you were being rhetorical. I'd crawl on broken glass to WS for a high paying job at WFU.

John Currie is going to be a terrific AD for us - in every way. He is one of the most ethical, moral, hard-working, intelligent, and just plain great dudes I've ever run across. I don't care what you hear and turn those tidbits into - he's a badass. And on top of all that, he loves Wake Forest. If John Currie isn't as popular as an AD can be a few years from now, I will be shocked.

Have confidence, and try to stop picking the guy apart. Any mistakes complained about above are not of his making. He will fix what he can fix. Believe in John.

Is this good or bad?

Back