• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

#CurrieOut

Ohh you definitely take the job and my first order of business is to fire anyone i can possibly fire in the athletic department that was involved in offering me the job pre-Manning decision. I go to them and explain I’m just chilling as an unemployed AD consultant with no other outside interest targeting me and that I could be contact to gauge my interest and then enter serious discussions April 1st, with a Wellman departure of May 1st, hired sometime in between.

Ohh you definitely take the job and my first order of business is to fire anyone i can possibly fire in the athletic department that was involved in offering me the job pre-Manning decision. I go to them and explain I’m just chilling as an unemployed AD consultant with no other outside interest targeting me and that I could be contact to gauge my interest and then enter serious discussions April 1st, with a Wellman departure of May 1st, hired sometime in between.

this reads like an rj post, bro

Definitely. Especially if I’m a disgraced AD trying to rehab his career at my alma mater. But I definitely let the fanbase know all coaches are on notice. We will see on May 2 what Currie does.

People aren't really under the delusion that something will change on May 2, are they?

conservative ass Wake Forest is not going to fire a coach a month after very publicly saying he's coming back unless something scandalous occurs between then

People aren't really under the delusion that something will change on May 2, are they?

I would expect minimal visible change May 2.
The name plate on the door of the big office.
The name in the internet directory for "Wake Forest Athletics Director"
The biography attached to that name and title.

Anything else will be done out of public view.

My biggest problem with the entire scenario is (1) if the contract is fully guaranteed, then we have to pay him no matter what, and (2) everyone is (or should be) unhappy with his performance as Head Basketball coach, then why is it not just as smart a move to reassign Danny within the Athletic Department to a different position (Assistant Women's Volleyball Coach, maybe? Or Special Assistant to the Outgoing Athletic Director), continuing paying him for as long as the contract requires, and hire a new Basketball coach. Why pay up front? Pay him according to the contract stipulations, until this contract is done.

Either Wake hoops drives you crazy or you just don’t care anymore.

Those are both stages. Drove me crazy for the past 9 years.

Have graduated to not caring anymore. Definitely a better place to be for mental health and blood pressure.

the Manning contract -- whatever it is -- is a sunk cost

given that, what was the preferred course of action to what happened for you #currieout donks?

Given that the Manning contract is a sunk cost, you fire him first available chance (May 2). You hire Wes Miller or whoever you like best from that level of coach. You hire them to a 3 year $800,000 a year plus incentives contract. You make that money back comfortably with renewed interest and fan support. If he does well, and you have to pay a lot more with the incentives, then the program is making more money again. You could also use those Wake lawyers to try and reduce or delay the payout to Manning. Tie it up in court as long as you can and hopefully Manning would cut a deal.

Save money and get a better coach seems like a better plan than keeping a proven terrible coach.

i think that I read this on another thread wherein the poster stated "Wake is now a place with big buildings, big egos, and no soul". That's the way I feel.

No. But he officially takes the job on May 2, so I can officially be mad if he doesn't do anything on May 2.

“In October 2014, Currie asked the KSU Athletic Board of Directors to discontinue Women's Equestrian and replace it with Women's Soccer to maintain Title IX compliance for the university. He cited a recommendation from the NCAA Committee on Women's Athletics to discontinue Women's Equestrian as an NCAA emerging sport—a committee recommendation that had not yet been voted on—as justification for this change. Based on Currie's recommendation, K-State Athletic Board of Directors approved eliminating Women's Equestrian and replacing it with Women's Soccer.[8] However, the NCAA ultimately tabled their committee's recommendation, making no changes to Women's Equestrian and its relationship with the NCAA.[9] In fact, since Currie prematurely ended Women's Equestrian at K-State, the sport has expanded to include 17 NCAA Division I programs, 5 Division II programs, and 2 Division III programs as of 2019.[10] Currie's actions were met with great dismay by the student-athletes, their parents, the National Collegiate Equestrian Association, and the equestrian community at large. Currie was criticized for his recommendation to eliminate Women's Equestrian AS WELL AS FOR A LACK OF TRANSPARENCY AND POOR COMMUNICATION THROUGHOUT THE PROCESS.”

....sounds like some Wellman bullshit to me.

Currie will have his chance but there shouldn’t be any patience for lies and lack of transparency.

For years I worried that when Wellman left, Wake would just hire a Wellman acolyte.

I will stay open-minded but Currie is off to a rough start. I would have been much happier with a totally clean break from the past, and I really think that is what Wake needed.

For years I worried that when Wellman left, Wake would just hire a Wellman acolyte.

I will stay open-minded but Currie is off to a rough start. I would have been much happier with a totally clean break from the past, and I really think that is what Wake needed.

Yep, sometimes it is better to start over than try to keep patching a broken situation

Sounds like that paragraph was written by some disgruntled equestrian supporter or parent. I seriously doubt there was any outrage over replacing a fringe elitist sport like equestrian with women's soccer which is a popular sport that most P5 schools field.

Sounds like that paragraph was written by some disgruntled equestrian supporter or parent. I seriously doubt there was any outrage over replacing a fringe elitist sport like equestrian with women's soccer which is a popular sport that most P5 schools field.

Sure but let’s not be so quick to dismiss the red flags that Currie brings with him.

Of course any time any AD cancels any sport you will cause some outrage with at least a couple of people. But there’s some evidence that he used some questionable judgement on this one. And worse the communication/transparency thing keeps coming up. He can’t seem to strike a balance on this issue.

Hopefully he’s learned from his mistakes but he has to start proving it on May 1. He’s already swimming in a pool of bullshit before he even starts. He deserves scrutiny.

I'm sure the PETA crowd applauded Currie's move to drop equestrian.
Please, people ........think of the horses!

Sure but let’s not be so quick to dismiss the red flags that Currie brings with him.

Of course any time any AD cancels any sport you will cause some outrage with at least a couple of people. But there’s some evidence that he used some questionable judgement on this one. And worse the communication/transparency thing keeps coming up. He can’t seem to strike a balance on this issue.

Hopefully he’s learned from his mistakes but he has to start proving it on May 1. He’s already swimming in a pool of bullshit before he even starts. He deserves scrutiny.
The supporting references provide none of the indication of controversy that the paragraph suggests. The one after the sentence where they talk about there's widespread student body controversy has no mention of the controversy and only mentions how Currie is honoring the scholarships of those student-athletes

Who would have ever thought we'd be talking about Women's Equestrian in Manhattan, KS on these here OGBoards.

M
F
F

Back