• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Don't contribute to Deacon Club, instead put your money to good use.

Dunno what mine would total. It's probably a rounding error compared to guys like Mit Shah or Bob McCreary, but more than 25 years of support to both the university and Deacon Club means something to me. Hope stopping it means something to somebody at either of those groups. Especially when combined with other donors and alums who have had it.

TheLostDecade.com is available.

Let's fire it up and a billboard!

should we start a thread so posters can put that they are no longer donating...and how much they had donated...pretty sure after a few posts the total will be more than $2 million a year...

This would be an interesting case study. I'll admit, I don't give them any of my money save for a $10 tkt I bought to watch Hoard in one of his first games at the Joel last fall, but I was in town and I wanted to hang with Pops. But even he has dropped his season tkts and he's more of a die-hard than I am, and I'm the grad. Wellman has been chipping at way at my give a fuck meter for the last decade and now it's officially broken.

The only thing I would consider is a scalped FB tkt to enjoy some time with my Dad watching a game since it's hard to put a price on that. But I'm not buying anything directly from Wake Forest for a very long time. In 2009, I briefly flirted with finally joining the Deacon Club after having paid off my student loans, then the bottom fell out and we were left with nothing but a Cleveland Steamer.

Sorry Pops, but I'm done going out of my way to support our Athletic Dept. At least we have the fond memories of our Orange Bowl trip and the Thursday night comeback against the Wolfies the last time we watched a game together! :)

I wonder if we should start an anti-DC to counter all of its efforts to keep a cancerous regime in place and to truly be a voice to demand excellence, integrity and what is best for players and fans???

I texted my Deacon Club rep and resigned. He called back 5 minutes later and the company line was the kids really were a tight group and wanted one more year w Manning to show what they can be. If thats the best spin they can come up with they all need to be Wal Mart greeters.

I know you hate this as much as I do. Yeah, yeah, the kids just love Manning. ONE even hung around long enough to graduate! More lies coming out of Wellman’s mouth as he delivers the fatal blow to a dying program. What a jerk. You know, it’d be better if he’d just say, “I rolled the dice and lost. Now we’re stuck. Sorry.”

I’m actually torn on renewing my football tickets. Just got them for the first time last year after living outside NC since graduation. Really enjoyed it and have been excited to see this years team. But after this news it absolutely feels like any support of the AD is wrong.

I’m actually torn on renewing my football tickets. Just got them for the first time last year after living outside NC since graduation. Really enjoyed it and have been excited to see this years team. But after this news it absolutely feels like any support of the AD is wrong.

don't do it

Sad to say but it is hard to justify any donations to any aspect of the university knowing the leaders are capable of this legendary ineptitude. Time for a new president and a new board.

If they are willing to retain a public failure like Manning, imagine how many other failures are employed on campus?

I have been a Deacon Club member for more than 45 years. I can accept losing teams - God only knows I have seen plenty of them at Wake. But I cannot accept being lied to and seeing my donations wasted, when there are lots of places that will not waste my money and will not try to blow smoke up my ass. I will not make a rash decision about membership/donations, but I am contacting my DC rep today and saying that I want to receive no communication from him or the Deacon Club until at least May 15th - gives me plenty of time to chew on things.

Part of me hopes the Deacon Club loses literally millions in donations. Another part of me hates that good guys like Dave Clawson are going to be hurt by Wellman's and Hatch's fuck-ups.

i ceased giving to the DC about one year into the Bzaster and as Grobe started mailing it in. I give to the law school only. I owe the academic side of WFU a debt of gratitude and support for all the scholarships and great teaching I received, but I will not support the athletic department until they show that they care about winning basketball games and running a program with honesty and accountability.

I have been a Deacon Club member for more than 45 years. I can accept losing teams - God only knows I have seen plenty of them at Wake. But I cannot accept being lied to and seeing my donations wasted, when there are lots of places that will not waste my money and will not try to blow smoke up my ass. I will not make a rash decision about membership/donations, but I am contacting my DC rep today and saying that I want to receive no communication from him or the Deacon Club until at least May 15th - gives me plenty of time to chew on things.

Part of me hopes the Deacon Club loses literally millions in donations. Another part of me hates that good guys like Dave Clawson are going to be hurt by Wellman's and Hatch's fuck-ups.

clawson needs to find better pastures. this shit is screwed beyond belief

I quit all financial support in 2013. No exceptions. There is no accountability, no transparency, no honesty and no leadership being demonstrated by the powers that be in the public domain of athletics. What would lead me to believe those qualities are being demonstrated in other aspects of the university?

The upside of my decision is that I have found local venues that value my financial support. They also value my active participation in their endeavors. Service to people is as close as it comes to the motto of WFU. The rewards are far greater than my contribution. That's my experience.

Thanks for this thread Wrangor. Seems like we have something in common.

I quit all financial support in 2013. No exceptions. There is no accountability, no transparency, no honesty and no leadership being demonstrated by the powers that be in the public domain of athletics. What would lead me to believe those qualities are being demonstrated in other aspects of the university?

The upside of my decision is that I have found local venues that value my financial support. They also value my active participation in their endeavors. Service to people is as close as it comes to the motto of WFU. The rewards are far greater than my contribution. That's my experience.

Thanks for this thread Wrangor. Seems like we have something in common.

Very similar experience for me as well. I have become very involved with our local Humane Society and contribute all of my former WFU athletic contributions to it. Even more, actually. FAR more rewarding and have met some absolutely wonderful people along the way. My only regret? I wish I had done it much sooner given what I've known about Ron Wellman all these years. I really hate I gave that fucker a single dime.

I think he should do the opposite. He should use the basketball shit show as leverage to get PAID.

Exactly. Can you imagine if Clawson left after a fourth straight bowl season because the new AD couldn’t pay him due to Manning’s buyout?

Clawson has Currie by the balls big time.

I know you hate this as much as I do. Yeah, yeah, the kids just love Manning. ONE even hung around long enough to graduate! More lies coming out of Wellman’s mouth as he delivers the fatal blow to a dying program. What a jerk. You know, it’d be better if he’d just say, “I rolled the dice and lost. Now we’re stuck. Sorry.”

the thing is it wasnt even rolling the dice...

he got his extension after the worse start since the 70s with losses to georgia southern, drake, and liberty at home

Back