• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Don't contribute to Deacon Club, instead put your money to good use.

Wrangor

Go Deacs
Reaction score
For anyone looking to move their contributions from the Deacon Club to a more worthy cause, I have your outlet.

Delta Streets Academy is a school for at risk young men of the Mississippi Delta. We are in our 7th year of existence and currently have around 65 young men, 7th - 12th grade. We offer an alternative education to young men that is based on faith, excellent, and discipline. We are having an annual fundraiser right now, so if you want to donate, its easy.

Venmo (@deltastreets)
http://www.venmo.com/deltastreets

Online Giving
http://www.deltastreetsacademy.org/give

To learn more about the school
http://www.deltastreetsacademy.org/our-history

Boycott the DC and give to a cause that counts, make sure to put 'Demon Deacons' or 'DD' on the donation so that i can track any gifts. I will send a letter to the AD office with the totals if this amounts to any sort of decent sum.

I know I am trying to capitalize on the unrest, but I make no apologies. #GoDeacs #ProtestwithPurpose

39109152_2308894572455842_8897976286488559616_n.jpg

42150644_2375378085807490_346338625081835520_o.jpg

50966644_2646835861995043_5369926876372402176_o.jpg

I texted my Deacon Club rep and resigned. He called back 5 minutes later and the company line was the kids really were a tight group and wanted one more year w Manning to show what they can be. If thats the best spin they can come up with they all need to be Wal Mart greeters.

Lots of great organizations could use the money that would otherwise be wasted by our AD.

I texted my Deacon Club rep and resigned. He called back 5 minutes later and the company line was the kids really were a tight group and wanted one more year w Manning to show what they can be. If thats the best spin they can come up with they all need to be Wal Mart greeters.

It takes a pretty pathetic person (Wellman) to use 18-22 kids as a shield for hiring and now retaining a terrible coach for which you are 100 percent at fault.

I say we fire Manning, hire Wrangor for $250k, and donate the rest of Manning's salary. Deal?

I think me opining to give Manning the 5th year as an up or down vote probably disqualifies me from the popular vote right now, but I guarantee you I would win more than we have.

why are there no non-white staff members?

Great question. One of the biggest struggles that the school has had is attracting a diverse staff. It is difficult to find non-white staff members when competing with the public school benefits. The school exists through private donations and while the salary is competitive, the health care and retirement are not. We are interviewing several great candidates for next year that look promising, and the goal is obviously to expand the diversity of the staff as soon as possible. The reality is that white people have more expendable income in Mississippi, and so the non-profit aspect of this school makes it more likely to attract white teachers. As funding increases, as the school continues to establish itself in the community, the school will have more ability to attract non-white talent. We are actually interviewing a minority Ivy league grad that is currently overseas but has roots in the Delta and is considering a return. This person would make a GREAT hire, and we are hopeful.

Teaching is obviously not a lucrative profession, and when you are completely dependent on your teacher income to provide for your family, it is a giant leap of faith to leave a strong retirement and health care safety net, even if it is done to pursue something you know is worthwhile and beneficial. Additionally we expect/hope that we will have young men return as teachers at some point, and that will fulfill a lot of goals for the school. Having an experienced, intelligent, home grown teacher that believes in the school, the community, and the students will make a massive impact.

Last edited:
Don't stop at the Deacon Club. Cancel football and basketball season tickets. Cancel any ongoing gifts to Wake Forest.

Called both the Deacon Club and the Alumni office. Asked both of them to remove me from all emails, mailings, and phone calls and that I would be making no more contributions to the university. I'm completely disgusted by this.

I think me opining to give Manning the 5th year as an up or down vote probably disqualifies me from the popular vote right now, but I guarantee you I would win more than we have.

Hell, any one of us could take on the coaching duties from the comfort of our living room with a beer in hand. Sit back, relax and watch the players play. Same results and would save $18 million.

Sad to say but it is hard to justify any donations to any aspect of the university knowing the leaders are capable of this legendary ineptitude. Time for a new president and a new board.

Deacon Club member for 19 years plus special project donations. I'm done. Go Gators.

Hell, any one of us could take on the coaching duties from the comfort of our living room with a beer in hand. Sit back, relax and watch the players play. Same results and would save $18 million.

'We just didn't get enough paint touches'
'We have to make shots'

Profit.

should we start a thread so posters can put that they are no longer donating...and how much they had donated...pretty sure after a few posts the total will be more than $2 million a year...

So pathetic. RJ is right to cut off any and all support. I'm out.

Back