• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Don't contribute to Deacon Club, instead put your money to good use.

I stopped buying basketball tickets and DC donations last year. Just emailed my ticket rep and informed him I wouldnt be renewing football tickets until Manning is fired.

I am done.

I’m actually torn on renewing my football tickets. Just got them for the first time last year after living outside NC since graduation. Really enjoyed it and have been excited to see this years team. But after this news it absolutely feels like any support of the AD is wrong.

I have a different take on this. If you really enjoy going to football games (as I did for many years from out of state) don’t intertwine your personal enjoyment with getting back at the AD. Suspend all communications and giving to Wake and the Deacon Club, but continue with something you, or your family, enjoy. No one is happy with the recent events, but no one cares if you buy or don’t buy football season tickets.

I have a different take on this. If you really enjoy going to football games (as I did for many years from out of state) don’t intertwine your personal enjoyment with getting back at the AD. Suspend all communications and giving to Wake and the Deacon Club, but continue with something you, or your family, enjoy. No one is happy with the recent events, but no one cares if you buy or don’t buy football season tickets.

Just show up on game day. They’ll be giving tickets away.

“Basketball sucks so let’s try and make sure our hardworking and successful football team sucks too because wwhhaaaaa”

the thing is it wasnt even rolling the dice...

he got his extension after the worse start since the 70s with losses to georgia southern, drake, and liberty at home
That is just when the extension was announced. It wasn't negotiated and signed during the basketball season.

“Basketball sucks so let’s try and make sure our hardworking and successful football team sucks too because wwhhaaaaa”

Exactly. Some Wake programs are doing really well and have fantastic leaders. Support them - it’s fun and shows that Wake fans are still interested in supporting successful teams. Don’t “cut off the nose to spite the face.”

This is really tough on me. I supported Manning way too long w/hope that his recruiting (# of high-quality kids that put Wake on their short list) could hide the rest of his shortcomings. It was obvious after BC, Keyshawn, Doral (others) all bolted that there would never be an end to this disaster. To graduate one kid in 5 years is beyond ridiculous. For, Wellman to tout a GPA of kids that stay two year and every other argument is insulting to a very educated base. I stopped giving last year to all things Wake, but kept season tickets in football and basketball.

However, right now I am so tempted to bail on the football program just because of my anger and frustration over the way our fan base is treated. I have yet to find anyone that even tries to justify this sh*t show other than the bailout and Wellman's desire to ruin his legacy as an AD and stick it to us one last time. I am already Currie out as he should have demanded that Manning be gone before taking the job. But, I guess his desire to just have the job means more than doing the job.

This is a sad time to be a Deac.

If LOWF could pay Nathan (ND) Hatch over $4 million in 2015 ... and Arrogant Ron Wellman more than $1m a year ... and the ACC's worst basketball coach $3m a year (plus provide a job for his son) ... LOWF doesn't need my money.

Plenty of tickets on the secondary market. You can still go to games and make a statement.

how specifically can you earmark Deacon Club donations?
Unless it's a large donation for a specific project/purpose, earmarking is silly...the budgets for the sports don't change. They just put "your money" in one spot and put the money that was there back into another program. It's just a marketing effort by DC to make you feel good and keep giving.

Last edited:
Unless it's a large donation for a specific project/purpose, earmarking is silly...the budgets for the sports don't change. They just put "your money" in one spot and put the money that was there back into another program. It's just a marketing effort by DC to make you feel good and keep giving.

Don’t let Rafi hear you say that.

Unless it's a large donation for a specific project/purpose, earmarking is silly...the budgets for the sports don't change.

Wrong, the budgets definitely change. I follow the men’s tennis team closely, and their budget has clearly greatly increased the past several years. The teams submit budgets with requests every year, and how much they get is directly tied to how much they generate and how much support they have.

Racer, why would you claim this if you don’t have any insight?

Trying to punish and harm the football, tennis, soccer, etc teams because you’re upset about basketball is a wildly terrible idea.

Wrong, the budgets definitely change. I follow the men’s tennis team closely, and their budget has clearly greatly increased the past several years. The teams submit budgets with requests every year, and how much they get is directly tied to how much they generate and how much support they have.

Racer, why would you claim this if you don’t have any insight?

Trying to punish and harm the football, tennis, soccer, etc teams because you’re upset about basketball is a wildly terrible idea.

Lol. Nice misrepresentation. I didn't claim that budgets don't change at all...just that your and my donations don't change them. I would claim it because I've seen the inside of plenty of organizations that accept earmarked donations.

Your $150-5000 donation earmarked for a specific sport doesn't make one bit of difference in how their budget is allocated for the year. It certainly doesn't take anything out of the basketball budget. A $50K donation, sure, but not a standard DC membership. It's all just accounting.

Lol. Nice misrepresentation. I didn't claim that budgets don't change at all...just that your and my donations don't change them.

Sorry, I misread you post. The ellipsis threw me off.

I know several people in the Deacon Club and in development. They keep track of both the amount and number of donations, and to where the donations are earmarked.

Unless earmarked donations to a specific program EXCEED the budgeted amount, there is no change in that program’s budget. If, however, the earmarked donations do exceed the budget for a specific program, then its budget should reflect that (ethically, anyway.)

i ceased giving to the DC about one year into the Bzaster and as Grobe started mailing it in. I give to the law school only. I owe the academic side of WFU a debt of gratitude and support for all the scholarships and great teaching I received, but I will not support the athletic department until they show that they care about winning basketball games and running a program with honesty and accountability.

This to a T. The law school has proven to be a good steward of my contributions and I wouldn’t be where I am but for the law school. Athletics won’t get a dime from me, but I’m not going to cut off my nose to spite my face.

Since going to Wake 50 years ago, I have been a loyal supporter of football, basketball, and the Deacom Club. I gave up my floor seats for basketball 6 years ago.
Rather than taking the opportunity to finally rid ourselves of Danny Manning,with the end of this season, and the long overdue riddance of Ron Wellman, the decision was made to dig further into the abyss.
So, after 50 years of support and almost a decade of basketball agony, I am completely done, forever.

Back