• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is Your Alternative College Basketball Program for Remainder of the Manning Era?

I haven't been here since the [name redacted] fiasco. After that, I joined the Deacon Club again thinking anything would have been better. I was wrong. I should have never joined again and the last five years have not been better. They maybe have been worse since we just went through the worst hire ever in ACC Basketball history. The Deacon Club email the other day has led me to extremes. As a loyal fan and an alumni with lots of family members who are as well I have both thought about and hate my next sentence. I have taken my Deacon Club money and split it in thirds. One third went to the Wolfpack Club, one third to the Iron Duke and with all of the hatred my heart could conjure up, one third to the Rams Club. By giving to the three schools that I absolutely hate, it not only deprives the Wake Forest Athletic Department of my small sum but it also works against them. I never thought I would see the day that this is how I felt.

Wow. My parents are ISU grads.

My father in law was an Illinois State TE back in the day. Still holds some receiving records apparently.

And I have spent far too much time watching ODAC sports thanks to my brother in law to find that enjoyable. Give me the Patriot League thank you very much.

I haven't been here since the [name redacted] fiasco. After that, I joined the Deacon Club again thinking anything would have been better. I was wrong. I should have never joined again and the last five years have not been better. They maybe have been worse since we just went through the worst hire ever in ACC Basketball history. The Deacon Club email the other day has led me to extremes. As a loyal fan and an alumni with lots of family members who are as well I have both thought about and hate my next sentence. I have taken my Deacon Club money and split it in thirds. One third went to the Wolfpack Club, one third to the Iron Duke and with all of the hatred my heart could conjure up, one third to the Rams Club. By giving to the three schools that I absolutely hate, it not only deprives the Wake Forest Athletic Department of my small sum but it also works against them. I never thought I would see the day that this is how I felt.

Damn. I did not think anyone could top the disdain I feel for those running Wake and what they have done to a once beloved school.

My hats off to you, sir.

I don't think the people running the show these days have any idea what how important NC basketball ties to Wake are to the long time fans who grew up in North Carolina.

You know there are starving children in Africa, right?

I hope you let the Deacon Club, but more importantly Currie, Hatch, and Wellman know this. I assume you did, but letting them know is how this becomes a powerful statement.

I hope you let the Deacon Club, but more importantly Currie, Hatch, and Wellman know this. I assume you did, but letting them know is how this becomes a powerful statement.

I have but I am assuming it fell on deaf ears.

Damn. I did not think anyone could top the disdain I feel for those running Wake and what they have done to a once beloved school.

My hats off to you, sir.

I don't think the people running the show these days have any idea what how important NC basketball ties to Wake are to the long time fans who grew up in North Carolina.

I agree. As a North Carolina native whose family has lived here for generations, nothing is better than beating the other three schools in any sport.

I think an important part of me was lost when I finally, for real this time, gave up on Wake Forest after over 50 years of being a loyal alumni and fan.

I have taken my Deacon Club money and split it in thirds. One third went to the Wolfpack Club, one third to the Iron Duke and with all of the hatred my heart could conjure up, one third to the Rams Club. By giving to the three schools that I absolutely hate, it not only deprives the Wake Forest Athletic Department of my small sum but it also works against them.

God DAMN, that is some ice cold, Scott Tenorman Must Die level shit, my friend. Do not cross, WFDeacon.

PepperyOptimalGull-small.gif

This is an impressive level of hate. Time to bake Wellman and Manning into a pie and feed it to Hatch.

I agree. As a North Carolina native whose family has lived here for generations, nothing is better than beating the other three schools in any sport.

I think an important part of me was lost when I finally, for real this time, gave up on Wake Forest after over 50 years of being a loyal alumni and fan.

Will you still get to hang out in Bridger pre-game, and watch the games from there, with all the empty black seats? Good move to go all in with the elite donors who somehow don't fill up those seats during the games. Looks GREAT on tv.

I'd love to be proven wrong on this.

this is one of the dumbest things i've ever read. get a grip, people

Snort.

Anyway, no other college bb teams for me. I’m out of CBB. Haven’t really watched much if any games not involving wake over the past several years and I don’t really miss it. Haven’t watched any of the tournament and I don’t miss that either. When wake is not even trying to be competitive there is no enjoying this sport. If my only remaining connection to CBB is hoping that dook, UNC and State lose, well I have more going on in my life than to spend time with that.

That's ok. Donewald beat Nolan Richardson (Tulsa) and took ISU to their first 3 NCAA's ever. He won 62% of his games. That and his "prickly" personality, forced Wellman's hand.

Since then, ISU hoops has been irrelevant.

This is a bit dramatic. Donewald went to the NCAAT three times and the NIT three times over his 11 year tenure. In the following 10 years, Bob Bender and Kevin Stallings went to the NCAAT three times and the NIT twice. They won 0.60 of their games compared to 0.62 for Donewald, but the program was slipping under Donewald (went 0.53 over his last 4 compared to 0.69 for his first 7). Bender and Stallings both got hired away by power conference programs while Donewald spent 11 years at Western Michigan.

(Far be it from me to defend Wellman, but, with hindsight, that seems like a pretty defensible coaching change. Not his fault that his successors hired Tom Richardson and Porter Moser who earned a single NIT invite over their combined 8 years).

Last edited:

Wellman wanted culture change. Now we all just check out or support the enemy. Sad times indeed!

Conveniently, I've got the UW. Going to have to go to some games next year, football too.

Other than "whoever is playing Duke" it pretty much depends on the matchup. If UVA is playing UNC, then it's UVA for sure. If UVA is playing, say, Clemson or GT, I'm probably going with the latter. Underdogs FTW!

Back